Colour Doppler Assessment of the Perforators of Anterolateral Thigh Flap and its Usefulness in Preoperative Planning
Languages of publication
The role of the anterolateral thigh flap (ALTF) in reconstructive microsurgery grows systematically from mid-eighties of the twenty century until now. Significant anatomic variability of the perforators supplying the ALTF was described in literature.The aim of the study was ultrasonographic assessment of the ALTF perforators in terms of localization, symmetry, diameter and flow velocity.Material and methods. The study was performed using ultrasound machine with 12 MHz linear transducer. Both thighs of 30 healthy volunteers (15 men and 15 women) aged from 18 to 60 (mean 37.9) were examined. The line from anterior superior iliac spine (ASIS) to lateral border of the patella was traced, and divided into 10 equal segments. Point where perforator pierces the deep fascia was marked and its diameter was measured and recorded. Maximal flow velocity was measured and recorded. Symmetry of perforator location was confirmed as positive if difference in position of two perforators on both thighs was less than 1.5 cm in diameter.Results. Total number of 119 perforators supplying skin of 60 thighs was found (mean 1.98 perforator per thigh). No perforators were found in 4 thighs (6.6%). Perforators were most abundant in segments from 5 to 7 (74.6%). Perforators with largest diameters and maximal flow velocity reaching 30-47 cm/s were localized in segments 5 and 6. Perforators in segments 4 and 5 were more abundant in men (50.9%) than in women (36.7%). Septal perforators make up to 26.9% of the total. Eighty percent of the septal perforators were localized in segments 5 and 6. Perforator distribution was elicited in the middle of the ASIS - patella line. In the range of ±1.5 cm from the midpoint of the line 33.6% of the perforators were found.Conclusions. 1. Most of perforators with large diameter and big flow velocity are located in segments 5 and 6. 2. Perforators are more common in men in segments 4 and 5 than in women. 3. No perforators found in 4 thighs suggests that preoperative perforator mapping should become a preoperative routine, which can spare intraoperative dilemmas.
1 - 2 - 2012
28 - 5 - 2012
- Song YG, Chen GZ, Song YL: The free thigh flap: A new free flap concept based on the septocutaneous artery. Br J Plast Surg 1984; 37: 149-59.[PubMed]
- Rozina S. Ali, Rachel Bluebond-Langner, Eduardo D et al.: The Versatility of the Anterolateral Thigh Flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009; 124(6): 395e-407e.
- Huang JJ, Wallace C, Lin JY et al.: Two small flaps from one anterolateral thigh donor site for bilateral buccal mucosa reconstruction after release of submucous fibrosis and/or contracture. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2010 Mar; 63(3): 440-45.[PubMed]
- Yu P, Hanasono MM, Skoracki RJ et al.: Pharyngoesophageal reconstruction with the anterolateral thigh flap after total laryngopharyngectomy. Cancer 2010 Apr 1; 116(7): 1718-24.[WoS]
- Hallock, GG: Color duplex imaging for identifying perforators prior to pretransfer expansion of fasciocutaneous free flaps. Ann Plast Surg 1994; 32: 595.[PubMed]
- Hallock GG: Doppler sonography and color duplex imaging for planning a perforator flap. Clin Plast Surg 2003; 30(3): 347-57.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Blondeel PN, Beyens G, Verhaeghe R et al.: Doppler flowmetry in the planning of perforator flaps. Br J Plast Surg 1998; 51: 202-09.[PubMed]
- Iida H, Ohashi I, Kishimoto S et al.: Preoperative assessment of anterolateral thigh flap cutaneous perforators by colour Doppler flowmetry. Br J Plast Surg 2003; 56: 21-22.[WoS]
- Fu-chan Wei, Vivek Jain et al.: Have We Found an Ideal Soft-Tissue Flap? An Experience with 672 Anterolateral Thigh Flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002; 109: 2219.
- Shieh SJ, Chiu HY, Yu, JC et al.: Free anterolateral thigh flap for reconstruction of head and neck defects following cancer ablation. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000; 105: 2349.
- Kimata Y, Uchiyama K, Ebihara S et al.: Anatomic variations and technical problems of the anterolateral thigh flap: A report of 74 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg 1998; 102: 1517.[Crossref]
- Koshima, Isao Fukuda, Hiroshi DDS, Yamamoto, Hidekazu et al.: Free Anterolateral Thigh Flaps for Reconstruction of Head and Neck Defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 1993; 92: 421.[PubMed]
- Hsin-Han Chen, Meng-Shi Lin, Erh-Kang Chou et al.: Anterolateral Thigh Perforator Flap. Varying Perforator Anatomy. Ann Plast Surg 2009; 63: 153-55.[WoS]
- Taylor GI, Doyle M, McCarten G: The Doppler probe for planning flaps: Anatomical study and clinical applications. Br J Plast Surg 1990; 43: 1.[PubMed]
- Kimata Y, Uchiyama K, Ebihara S et al.: Versatility of the free anterolateral thigh flap for reconstruction of head and neck defects. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1997; 123: 1325.[WoS]
- Kim EK, Kang BS, Hong JP: The Distribution of the Perforators in the Anterolateral Thigh and the Utility of Multidetector Row Computed Tomography Angiography in Preoperative Planning. Ann Plast Surg 2010 Jun; 25.[WoS]
- Feng Y, Li WT, Wang NL et al.: Anatomic study of anterolateral thigh perforators flap and its clinical significance in reconstruction of head and neck defects. Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 2010 Feb; 32(1): 81-84.
- Lin SJ, Rabie A, Yu P: Designing the anterolateral thigh flap without preoperative Doppler or imaging. J Reconstr Microsurg 2010 Jan; 26(1): 67-72.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- Rozen WM, Wagstaff MJ, Grinsell D et al.: The course of anterolateral thigh perforators does not correlate between sides of the body: the role for preoperative imaging. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010 Mar; 125(3): 132e-34e.[Crossref][WoS]
- Valdatta L, Tuinder S, Buoro M et al.: Lateral circumflex femoral arterial system and perforators of the anterolateral thigh flap: an anatomic study. Ann Plast Surg 2002; 49: 145-50.[WoS]
- Diego Ribuffo, Matteo Atzeni, Luca Saba, et al.: Angio Computed Tomography Preoperative Evaluation for Anterolateral Thigh Flap Harvesting. Ann Plast Surg 2009; 62: 368-71.
- Schaverien Mark V, Ludman Catherine N, Jason Neil-Dwyer et al.: Contrast-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Angiography for Preoperative Imaging in DIEP Flap Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 2011; 128: 56.
Publication order reference