Modeling and Management of Variation in the Operating Rooms Helps to Improve Patient Outcome
Languages of publication
1 - 2 - 2012
9 - 4 - 2012
- Institute of Medicine & Committee on Quality health care in America. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington DC, National Academic Press, 2001.
- Health Care Systems in Transition, European Observatory on Health Care Systems 1999.
- Berwick DM: Crossing the boundary: changing mental models in the service of improvement. Int J Quality in Health Care 1998; 10: 435-41.[Crossref]
- Sluijs EM, Wagner C: Progress in the implementation of quality management in Dutch health care: 1995-2000. Int J Quality Health Care 2003; 15: 223-34.
- Westert GP, Berg MJ van den, Koolman X et al.: Dutch Health Care Performance Report 2008, RIVM.
- Stachota P, Normandin P: Reasons registered nurses leave or change employment status. J Nurs Adm 2003; 33: 111-18.[Crossref]
- Thomson TP, Brown H: Turnover of licensed nurses in skilled nursing facilities. Nurs Econ 2002; 20: 66-69.
- McLaughlin CP, Kaluzny AD: Continuous Quality Improvement in Health Care, Third Edition Center for Health Services Research, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 2006.
- Litvak E, Long MC: Cost and quality under managed care: Irreconcilable differences? Am J Manag Care 2000; 6: 305-12.[PubMed]
- Tannat Geoff: Design for six sigma: launching new products and services without failure. Gower Publishing Limited 2002.
- Donabedian, A: The quality of care: how it can it be assessed? JAMA 1988; 260: 1743-48.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Joshi MS, Nash DB, Ransom SB: The Healthcare Quality Book. Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press 2005.
- Kovner A: Futures. In A. r. Kovner (Ed.), Jonas's health care delivery in the United States (5th ed., pp. 1995; 532-53). New York: Springer Publishing.
- Tarazi EM, Philip BK: Friendliness of or staff is top determinant of patient satisfaction with outpatient Surgery. Am J Anesthesiology 1998; 25: 154-57.
- Brown DL, Warner ME, Schroeder DR et al.: Effect of intraoperative anesthetic events on postoperative patient satisfaction. Mayo Clinic Proc 1997; 72: 20-25.[Crossref]
- Reason J: Safety in the operating theatre part 2: Human error and organizational failure. Qual Saf Health Care 2005; 14: 56-60.
- Silen-Lipponen M, Tossavainen K, Turunen H et al.: Potential errors and their prevention in operating room team work as experienced by Finnish, British and American nurses. Int J Nurs Prac 2005; 11: 21-32.[Crossref]
- Weinger M, Englund C: Ergonomic and human factors affecting anesthetic vigilance and monitoring performance in the operating room environment. Anesthesiology 1990; 73: 995-1021.[PubMed]
- ACOG Committee Opinion: Patient safety in the surgical environment. Obstet Gynecal 2006; 107: 429-33.
- Makary MA, Sexton BJ, Freischlag JA et al.: Patient safety in surgery. Ann Surg 2006; 243: 628-35.[Crossref]
- Vissers J, Beech R: Health operations management. Patient flow logistics in health care 2005.
- Morton A: Analysis: What's the difference between a hospital and a bottling factory. Br Med J 2009; 339: 2727.
- Royston G: Shifting the balance of care into the 21st century. Eur J Oper Rer 1998; 105: 267-76.[Crossref]
- Delesie L: Bridging the gap between clinicians and health managers. Eur J Oper Rer 1998; 8: 28-35.
- Vries G de, Bertrand JWM, Vissers JMH: Design requirements for healthcare production control systems. Prod Plan Control 1999; 10: 559-69.[Crossref]
- Vissers JMH, Bertrand JWM, De Vries G: A framework for production control in health care organisations. Prod Plan Control 2001; 12: 591-604.[Crossref]
- Bertrand JWM, Wortmann JC, Wijngaard J: Production control: A structural and design oriented approach. Elsevier, Amsterdam 1999.
- Beaulieu H, Ferland JA, Gendron B et al.: A mathematical programming approach for scheduling physicians in the emergency room. Health Care Manage Sci 2000; 3: 19-200.
- Carter MW, Lapierre SD: Scheduling emergency room physicians. Health Care Manage Sci 2001; 4: 347-60.[Crossref]
- McManus ML, Long MC, Cooper A et al.: Variability in surgical caseload and access to intensive care services. Anesthesiology 2003; 98: 1491-96.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Wickizer TM: Effect of hospital utilization review on medical expenditures in selected diagnostic areas: An exploratory study. Am J Public Health 1991; 81: 482-84.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Dexter F, Epstein RH, Marsh HM: A statistical analysis of weekday operating room anesthesia group staffing costs at nine independently managed surgical suites. Anesth Analg 2001; 92: 1493-98.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Dexter F, Traub RD: Sequencing cases in the operating room: Predicting whether one surgical case will last longer than another. Anesth Analg 2000; 90: 975-79.[PubMed]
- Dexter F, Traub RD, Macario A: How to release allocated operating room time to increase efficiency: Predicting which surgical service will have the most underutilized operating room time. Anesth Analg 2003; 96: 507-12.
- Lapierre SD, Batson C, McCaskey S: Improving on-time performance in health care organisations: A case study. Health Care Manage Sci 1999; 2: 27-34.[Crossref]
- Litvak E, Buerhues PI, Davidoff F et al.: Managing unnecessary variability in patient demand to reduce nursing stress and improve patient safety. J Qual Pat Safety 2005; 31: 330-38.
- Litvak E: Optimizing Patient Flow by Managing its Variability. In "Berman S. (ed.): Front Office to Front Line: Essential Issues for Health Care Leaders". Oakbrook Terrace, IL: Joint Commission Resources, 2005; pp. 91-111.
- Pieter S. Stepaniak PS, Christiaan Heij et al.: Modeling Procedure and Surgical Times for Current Procedural Terminology-Anesthesia-Surgeon Combinations and Evaluation in Terms of Case-Duration Prediction and Operating Room Efficiency: A Multicenter Study. Anesth Analg 2009; 106: 1232-45.[WoS]
- Pieter S, Stepaniak PS, Christiaan Heij et al.: Modeling and prediction of surgical procedure times. Stat Neerl 2010; 64: 1-18.[WoS]
- Stepaniak PS, Vrijland WW, de Quelerij M et al.: Working with a fixed operating room team on consecutive similar cases and the effect on case duration and turnover time. Arch Surg 2010; 145(12): 1165-70.[WoS]
Publication order reference