Reconstruction of the Distal Radio-Ulnar Joint with a Prosthesis of the Distal Ulna in the Treatment of a Recurrent Giant Cell Tumour
Languages of publication
We present a case of 35-year old left-handed woman with recurrent giant-cell tumour affecting 1/4 of the distal part of the left ulna, with associated ulnar nerve involvement. After resection of the tumour and 1 cm of the ulnar nerve, the distal ulna was reconstructed with an individually designed and matched prosthesis, followed by ulnar nerve reconstruction. At 12 months follow-up the patients was free of pain, had excellent recovery of ulnar nerve function, satisfactory wrist range of motion and moderately impaired function of the left hand (DASH score 42). She returned to her original work in the office. We believe that restoration of the anatomy of the distal forearm after en block resection of the distal ulna is desirable in young, active patients, and that the prosthesis we used provides a good anatomical framework for the recovery of the function of the wrist.
1 - 9 - 2011
5 - 10 - 2011
- Henshaw TD, Skubiz K, Chawla S et al.: Denosumab in patients with giant-cell tumour of bone: an open-label, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 2010.[WoS]
- Szabo RM, Anderson KA, Chen JL: Functional outcome of en block excision and osteoarticular allograft replacement with the Sauve-Kapandji procedure for Campanacci grade 3 giant-cell tumor of the distal radius. J Hand Surg 2006; 31A: 1340-48.
- Cooney WP, Damron TA, Sim FH et al.: En block resection of tumors of the distal end of the ulna. J Bone Joint Surg 1997; 79A: 406-13.
- Roidis NT, Gougoulias NE, Liakou PD et al.: Distal ulnar arthroplasty as a definitive treatment of a recurrent giant-cell tumor. J Hand Surg 2007; 32A: 1262-66.[WoS]
- Gordon KD, Dunning CD: Kinematics of ulnar head arthroplasty. J Hand Surg 2003; 23B: 551-58.
- Van Schoonhoven J, Fernandez DL, Bowers WH et al.: Salvage of failed resection arthroplasties of the distal radioulnar joint using a new ulnar head prosthesis. J Hand Surg 2000; 25A: 438-46.[WoS]
- Campbell DA, Millner PA, Dreghorn CR: Primary bone tumors of the hand and wrist. J Hand Surg 1995; 20B: 5-7.
- Harness NG, Mankin HJ: Giant-cell tumor of the distal forearm. J Hand Surg 2004; 29A: 188-93.
Publication order reference