Inferior Vena Cava Leiomyosarcoma in the Retroperitoneal Space - Diagnostic and Therapeutic Problem
Languages of publication
Inferior vena cava leiomyosarcoma is a malignant neoplasm rarely diagnosed. The study presented two cases of inferior vena cava leiomyosarcomas subject to treatment at the Department of Oncology, Center of Oncology in Warsaw. The first patient underwent surgery after a two-year thorough gastroenterological diagnostic process, being suspected of pancreatic cancer. Proper diagnosis was established intraoperatively, the tumor was completely excised. After ten months the patient was subject to chemotherapy, due to the presence of distant metastatic lesions. Chemotherapy was stopped after 24 months, due to disease progression. The patient died six months, thereafter. The second patient underwent surgery after a short diagnostic process, being suspected of an adrenal gland tumor. Proper diagnosis was established intraoperatively, and the tumor was completely excised. The patient remained under close oncological control. Three years after the procedure disease recurrence was not observed. Retroperitoneal space tumors pose a significant clinical problem. Rapid diagnosis and proper therapeutic decisions often determine the future of such patients. The five-year survival rate of patients subject to radical surgical treatment, due to inferior vena cava leiomyosarcomasa ranges between 33 and 55%.
1 - 12 - 2010
23 - 2 - 2011
- Alvarenga JC, Ball ABS, Fisher C et al.: Limitation of surgery in the treatment of retroperitoneal sarcoma. Br J Surg 1991; 78: 912-16.
- Elsayes KM, Staveteig PT, Narra VR et al.: Retroperitoneal masses: Magnetic resonance imaging findings with pathologic correlation. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 2007; 36: 97-106.
- Serio G, Tenchini P, Nifosi F et al.: Surgical strategy in primary retroperitoneal tumours. Br J Surg 1989; 76: 385-89.
- Testini M, Catalano Jr G, Macarini L et al.: Diagnosis and surgical treatment of retroperitoneal tumours. Int Surg 1996; 81: 88-93.
- Hollenbeck ST, Grobmyer SR, Kent KC et al.: Surgical treatment and outcomes of patients with primary inferior vena cava leiomyosarcoma. J Am Coll Surg 2003; 197: 575-79.
- Dzsinich C, Gloviczki P, van Heerden JA et al.: Primary venous leimyosarcoma: a rare but lethal disease. J Vasc Surg 1992; 15: 596-603.
- Hines OJ, Nelson S, Quinones-Baldrich WJ et al.: Leimoyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava: prognosis and comparison with leimyosarcoma of other anatomic sites. Cancer 1999; 85: 1077-83.
Publication order reference