Acute Pancreatitis as an Early Complication after Gastric Resection
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to demonstrate acute pancreatitis (AP) as an early complication after gastric resection procedures.Material and methods. Medical records were analyzed for acute pancreatitis as an early postoperative complication in patients treated in Department of Surgery of 4th Military Clinical Hospital in Wrocław between January 2000 and December 2009 who underwent gastric resection procedures. Indications for the surgical treatment included both gastric malignancy as well as complications of gastric and duodenal ulcer disease: pyloric stenosis, bleeding ulcer.Results. Between 2000 and 2009, 123 patients underwent gastric resection procedures (104 due to malignancy, 19 due to complications of gastric and duodenal ulcer disease). The overall complication rate was 32.5%: 26 patients developed general complications (cardiorespiratory failure, cardiac arrhythmias, pleural effusion, psychosis), 10 patients developed abdominal complications (fistula of the anastomosis, pancreatic fistula), infection of the postoperative wound occurred in 6 patients. Perioperative death occurred in 8 patients (mortality rate: 6.5%), including 3 patients who underwent surgical treatment in an urgent setting due to bleeding with accompanying hemorrhagic shock. Acute pancreatitis occurred in four patients (3.25%): all cases were severe and required resection of necrotic pancreatic lesions. The disorder resolved in three cases and patients were discharged home; one patient who developed additional complications, died (mortality rate: 25%).Conclusions. The reported cases of acute pancreatitis after gastric resections procedures were severe, involved pancreatic nacrosis and abscesses and required surgical intervention. Postoperative AP carries high risk of death and its successful treatment depends on properly timed surgical intervention resulting in removal of necrotic pancreatic lesions along with intensive medical treatment using e.g. parenteral nutrition and aggressive antibiotic therapy.
1 - 12 - 2010
23 - 2 - 2011
- Sano T, Sasako M, Yamamoto S et al.: Gastric cancer surgery: morbidity and mortality results from a prospective randomized controlled trial comparing D2 and extended para-aortic lymphadenectomy - Japan Clinical Oncology Group study 9501. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22(14): 2767-73.[Crossref]
- Viste A, Haùgstvedt T, Eide GE et al.: Postoperative complications and mortality after surgery for gastric cancer. Ann Surg 1988; 207(1): 7-13.
- Park DJ, Lee HJ, Kim HH et al.: Predictors of operative morbidity and mortality in gastric cancer surgery. Br J Surg 2005; 92(9): 1099-1102.
- Gong DJ, Miao CF, Bao Q et al.: Risk factors for operative morbidity and mortality in gastric cancer patients in gastric cancer patients undergoing total gastrectomy. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14(42): 6560-63.[WoS][Crossref]
- Heemskerk VH, Lentze F, Hulsewé KW et al.: Gastric carcinoma: review of the results of treatment in a community teaching hospital. World J Surg Oncol 2007; 5: 81.[Crossref]
- Bozzetti F, Marubini E, Bonfanti G et al.: Total versus subtotal gastrectomy: surgical morbidity and mortality rates in a multicenter Italian randomized trial. The Italian Gastrointestinal Tumor Study Group. Ann Surg 1997; 226(5): 613-20.
- Sah BK, Min CM, Yan WX i wsp.: Risk adjusted auditing of postop complications in gastric cancer patients by POSSUM. Int J Surg 2008; 6(4): 311-16.[Crossref]
- Lamb P, Sivashanmugam T, White M et al.: Gastric cancer surgery - a balance of risk and radicality. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2008; 90(3): 235-42.
- Smith JK, McPhee JT, Hill JS et al.: National outcomes after gastric resection for neoplasm. Arch Surg 2007; 142(4): 387-93.[WoS]
- Yiğitler C, Güleç B, Yiğit T et al.: Risk factors for early complications following total gastrectomy for gastric cancers. Gülhane Tip Dergisi 2003; 45(2): 182-88.
- Pedrazzani C, Marrelli D, Rampone B i wsp.: Postoperative complications and functional results after subtotal gastrectomy with Billroth II reconstruction for primary gastric cancer. Dig Dis Sci 2007; 52(8): 1757-63.[WoS][Crossref]
- Grossmann EM, Longo WE, Virgo KS i wsp.: Morbidity and mortality of gastrectomy for cancer in Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers. Surgery 2002; 131(5): 484-90.
- Yasuda K, Shiraishi N, Adachi Y et al.: Risk factors for complications following resection of large gastric cancer. Br J Surg 2001; 88(6): 873-77.
- Budisin N, Budisin E, Golubovic A: Early complications following total gastrectomy for gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol 2001; 77(1): 35-41.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Ikeguchi M, Oka S, Gomyo Y i wsp.: Postoperative morbidity and mortality after gastrectomy for gastric carcinoma. Hepatogastroenterology 2001; 48(41): 1517-20.
- Kuo IM, Wang F, Liu KH et al.: Post-gastrectomy acute pancreatitis in a patient with gastric carcinoma and pancreas divisum. World J Gastroenterol 2009; 15(36): 4596-4600.[Crossref]
- Lubianskii VG, Nasonov SV: Acute pancreatitis after resection of stomach for low duodenal ulcer. Khirurgiia 2001; 3: 8-11.
- Shchepotin IB, Evans SR, Chorny VA et al.: Postoperative complications requiring relaparotomies after 700 gastretomies performed for gastric cancer. Am J Surg 1996; 171(2): 270-73.
- Park JM, Jin SH, Lee SR et al.: Complications with laparoscopically assisted gastrectomy: multivariate analysis of 300 consecutive cases. Surg Endosc 2008; 22(10): 2133-39.[WoS][Crossref]
- Bo T, Zhihong P, Peiwu Y et al.: General complications following laparoscopic-assisted gastrectomy and analysis of techniques to manage them. Surg Endosc 2009; 23(8): 1860-65.[Crossref]
- Śnieżyński C: Ostre zapalenie trzustki jako powikłanie wczesnego okresu po zabiegach wycięcia żołądka. Pol Przegl Chir 1972; 44(5): 843-47.
- Mieszczański A: Ostre zapalenie trzustki po operacji wycięcia żołądka. Przegl Lek 1965; 21(6): 442-44
- Panecka A, Litwin M, Pożarowski A: Ostre zapalenie trzustki jako powikłanie po zabiegach operacyjnych na narządach jamy brzusznej. Pol Przegl Chir 1969; 41(1): 39-44.
- Perzyna T: Ostre zapalenie trzustki po częściowym wycięciu żołądka. Pol Przegl Chir 1963; 35: 307-12.
- Tonsi AF, Bacchion M, Crippa S i wsp.: Acute pancreatitis at the beginning of the 21st century: the state of the art. World J Gastroenterol 2009; 15(24): 2945-59.[WoS][Crossref]
- Uhl W, Warshaw A, Imrie C i wsp.: IAP Guidelines for the Surgical Management of Acute Pancreatitis. Pancreatology 2002; 2(6): 565-73.
- Heinrich S, Schäfer M, Rousson V i wsp.: Evidence-based treatment of acute pancreatitis: a look at established paradigms. Ann Surg 2006; 243(2): 154-68.
Publication order reference