Surgical Treatment of Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Pancreas
Languages of publication
Management of patients with neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) of the pancreas causes considerable controversy because rarity of this neoplasm.The aim of the study was to present our results of treatment of patients with NETs and to sum up our experience in surgical management.Material and methods. Thirty four patients with neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas were treated in Department of General, Endocrine and Transplant Surgery of Medical University in Gdańsk (24 inulinomas and 10 nonfunctioning neuroendocrine tumors). Insulinoma was present in the head of the pancreas in 3 cases, in the body in 8 cases, and 10 patients had lesion situated within the tail.Results. Localization of the tumor in patients with organic hyperinsulinism was possible in 21 out of 24 operated patients (17 patients with use of preoperative imaging studies, 4 patients with Intraoperative ultrasonography). In 3 remaining patients the localization of the pathologic mass was impossible with use of pre- and intraoperative techniques.Conclusions. Treatment of choice of patients with neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas is surgery. Management of patients with islet cells adenomatosis is still difficult clinical problem.
1 - 7 - 2010
22 - 10 - 2010
- Cavalla P, Schiffer D: Neuroendocrine tumors in the brain. Ann Oncol 2001; 12: 131-34.
- Becker JC, Schrama D, Houben R: Merkel cell carcinoma. Cell Mol Life Sci 2009; 66: 1-8.[WoS]
- Klöppel G, Rindi G, Anlauf M et al.: Site-specific biology and pathology of gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Virchows Arch 2007; 451: 9-27.[WoS]
- Rinidi G, Klöppel G, Alhman H et al.: TNM staging of foregut (neuro)endocrine tumors: a consensus proposal including a grading system. Virchows Arch 2006; 449: 395-401.[WoS]
- Mansour JC, Chen H: Pancreatic endocrine tumors. J Surg Res 2004; 120: 139-61.
- Jukemura J, Montagnini AL, Perini MV et al.: Acute pancreatitis associated with neuroendocrine tumor of the pancreas. JOP 2006; 11: 56-61.
- Patel KK, Kim MK: Neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas: endoscopic diagnosis. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 2008; 24: 638-42.
- Davies K, Conlon KC: Neuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2009; 11: 119-27.
- Shoup M, Brennan MF, McWhite K et al.: The value of splenic preservation with distal pancreatectomy. Arch Surg 2002, 137: 164-68.
- Mabrut JY, Fernàndez-Cruz L, Azagra JS et al.: Laparoscopic pancreatic resection: results of a multicenter European study of 127 patients. Surgery 2005; 137: 597-605.
- Norton JA, Jensen RT: Resolved and unresolved controversies in the surgical management of patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Ann Surg 2004; 240: 757-73.
- Norton JA, Kivlen M, Li M et al.: Morbidity and mortality of aggressive resection in patients with advanced neuroendocrine tumors. Arch Surg 2003; 138: 859-66.
- Service FJ, Natt N, Thompson GB et al.: Noninsulinoma pancreatogenous hypoglycemia: a novel syndrome of hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in adults independent of mutations in Kir6.2 and SUR1 genes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999;84:1582-89.
- Kaczirek K, Ba-Ssalamah A, Schima W et al.: The importance of preoperative localisation procedures in organic hyperinsulininsm - experience in 67 patients. Wien Klin Wochenschr 2004;116:373-78.
- Starke A, Saddig C, Kirch B et al.: Islet hyperplasia in adults: challenge to preoperative diagnose non-insulinoma pancreatogenic hypoglycemia syndrome. World J Surg 2006; 30: 670-79.[WoS]
- Yu F, Venzon DJ, Serrano J et al.: Prospective study of the clinical course, prognostic factors and survival In patients with longstanding Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 615-30.
- Norton JA: Surgical treatment of neuroendocrine metastases. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2005; 19: 577-83.
Publication order reference