Jun Gene Expression is Decreased in Parathyroid Adenoma
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to analyze the gene expression of JUN and CCND1 in a group of parathyroid tissues obtained from patients with primary hyperparathyroidism in comparison to hyperplastic parathyroid and normal/atrophic parathyroid tissues by real-time quantitative PCR. Our goal was to validate the conclusion of Forsberg et al (2005) who reported overexpression of JUN in parathyroid adenomas by a joint microarray and QPCR study.Material and methods. The analysis of JUN, CCND1 was carried out by QPCR in 14 parathyroid adenomas, 8 hyperplasia cases and 50 normal/atrophic parathyroid samples taken intraoperatively. Expression of the examined genes was normalized to the reference index (geometric mean of reference genes expression: EIF3S10, UBE2D2, ATP6V1E).Results. We observed a decrease of JUN expression in parathyroid adenomas in comparison to both normal/atrophic and hyperplastic parathyroids. The fold change value was 0.71 in comparison of adenomas to normal/atrophic samples (p = 0.044) and 0.75 to hyperplastic glands (p = 0.003). For CCND1 we observed one case of parathyroid adenoma with a very clearly increased expression, while 3 adenomas (21.4% of all adenomas) exhibited the increase over the highest value seen in normal parathyroids (fold change = 3.52).Conclusions. In parathyroid adenomas we were not able to confirm any overexpression of JUN gene, as suggested by the previous study. On the contrary, we observed a distinct inhibition of JUN RNA expression in comparison to non-neoplastic parathyroids. For CCND1 gene overexpression in parathyroid adenomas, we report the frequency of 21.4%.
1 - 10 - 2009
25 - 11 - 2009
- Shane E: Parathyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 201; 86: 485-93.
- Forsberg L, Björck E, Hashemi J et al.: Distinction in gene expression profiles demonstrated in parathyroid adenomas by high-density oligoarray technology. Eur J Endocrinol 2005; 152: 459-70.
- Palanisamy N, Imanishi Y, Rao PH et al.: Novel chromosomal abnormalities identified by comparative genomic hybridization in parathyroid adenomas. J Clinic Endocrinol and Metabol 1998; 83: 1766-70.
- Farnebo F, Kytola S, Teh BT et al.: Alternative genetic pathways in parathyroid tumorigenesis. J Clinic Endocrinol and Metabol 1999; 843: 775-80.
- Angel P, Karin M: The role of Jun, Fos and the AP-1 complex in cell-proliferation and transformation. Biochim Biophys Acta 1991; 1072: 129-57
- Karin M, Liu Z, Zandi E: AP-1 function and regulation. Curr Opin Cell Biol 1997; 9: 240-46.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Jochum W, Passegue E, Wagner EF: AP-1 in mouse development and tumorigenesis. Oncogene 2001; 20: 2401-12.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Eferl R, Ricci R, Kenner L et al.: Liver tumor development. c-Jun antagonizes the proapoptotic activity of p53. Cell 2003; 112: 181-92.
- Maeno K, Masuda A, Yanagisawa K et al.: Altered regulation of c-jun and its involvement in anchorage-independent growth of human lung cancers. Oncogene 2006; 12; 25(2): 271-77.
- Dass CR, Khachigian LM, Choong PF: c-Jun Is critical for the progression of osteosarcoma: proof in an orthotopic spontaneously metastasizing model. Mol Cancer Res 2008; 6(8): 1289-92.[WoS][Crossref]
- Dass CR, Galloway SJ, Clark JC et al.: Involvement of c-jun in human liposarcoma growth: supporting data from clinical immunohistochemistry and DNAzyme efficacy. Cancer Biol Ther 2008; 7(8): 1302-04.[WoS]
- Changmeng Cai, Chen-Lin Hsieh Lirim Shemshedini.: c-Jun Has Multiple Enhancing Activities in the Novel Cross Talk between the Androgen Receptor and Ets Variant Gene 1 in Prostate Cancer. Mol Cancer Res 2007; 5, 725-35.[WoS]
- Tashiro E, Tsuchiya A, Imoto M: Functions of cyclin D1 as an oncogene and regulation of cyclin D1 expression. Cancer Sci 2007; 98(5): 629-35.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Fu M, Wang C, Li Z et al.: Minireview: cyclin D1: normal and abnormal functions. Endocrinology 2004; 145: 5439-47.
- Nishida N, Fukuda Y, Komeda T et al.: Amplifcation and overexpression of the cyclin D1 gene in aggressive human hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Research 1994; 54: 3107-10.
- JiangW, Kahn SM, Tomita N et al.: Amplifcationand expression of human cyclin D gene in oesophageal cancer. Cancer Research 1992; 2: 2980-83.
- Arnold A, Shattuck TM, Mallya SM et al.: Molecular pathogenesis of primary hyperparathyroidism. J Bone Miner Res 2002; 17 Suppl 2: N30-6.[PubMed]
- Hosokawa Y, Arnold A: Mechanism of cyclin D1 (CCND1, PRAD1) overexpression in human cancer cells: analysis of allele-specific expression. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1998; 22: 66-71.
- Vandesompele J, De Preter K, Pattyn F et al.: Accurate normalization of real-time quantitative RT-PCR data by geometric averaging of multiple internal control genes. Genome Biol 2002; 3: RESEARCH0034
- Haven CJ, Howell VM, Eilers P et al.: Gene expression of parathyroid tumors: molecular sub-classification and identification of the potential malignant phenotype. Cancer Research 2004; 64: 7405-11.[Crossref]
- Vasef MA, Brynes RK, Sturm M et al.: Expression of cyclin D1 in parathyroid carcinomas, adenomas, and hyperplasias: a paraffin immunohistochemical study. Mod Pathol 1999; 12: 412-16.[PubMed]
- Hsi ED, Zukerberg LR, Yang WI et al.: Cyclin D1/PRAD1 expression in parathyroid adenomas: an immunohistochemical study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996; 81: 1736-39.
- Yi Y, Nowak NJ, Pacchia AL et al.: Chromosome 11 genomic changes in parathyroid adenoma and hyperplasia: array CGH, FISH and microarrays. Genes Chromosome Cancer 2008; 47(8): 639-48.[WoS]
- Mallya SM, Gallagher JJ, Wild YK et al.: Abnormal parathyroid cell proliferation precedes biochemical abnormalities in a mouse model hyperparathyroidism. Mol Endocrinol 2005; 19(10): 2603-09.[Crossref]
- Corbetta S, Eller-Vainicher C, Vicentini L et al.: Modulation of cyclin D1 expression in human tumoral parathyroid cells: effects of growth factors and calcium sensing receptor activation. Cancer Letters 2007; 255: 34-41.[WoS]
- Woodard GE, Lin L, Zhang JH et al.: Parafibromin, product of the hyperparathyroidism-jaw tumor, regulates cyclin D1/PRAD1 expression. Oncogene 2005; 24(7): 1272-76.
- Juhlin C, Larsson C, Yakoleva T et al.: Loss of parafibromin in a subset of parathyroid adenomas. Endocrine-Related Cancer 2006; 13: 509-23.[Crossref]
Publication order reference