Consensus and Controversy in Breast Reconstruction a Review of Current Opinion and Practice
Languages of publication
1 - 10 - 2008
20 - 10 - 2008
- Petit JY, Rigault L, Zekri A, et al. Poor esthetic results after conservative treatment of breast cancer. Techniques of partial breast reconstruction. Ann de Chir Plast Esthétique 1989; 34: 103.
- Clough KB, Cuminet J, Fitoussi, et al. Cosmetic sequelae after Conservative Treatment for Breast Cancer: classification and results of Surgical Correction. Ann of Plast Surg 1998; 41(5): 471.[PubMed]
- Baildam AD. Breast Reconstruction - State of the Art. [Presented at] The Winchester Masterclass in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery; November 2006.
- Danoff BF, Haller DG, Glick JH, et al. Conservative Surgery and Irradiation in the treatment of early breast cancer. Ann of Inter Med 1985; 102: 634.
- O'Rourke S, Galea M, Morgan D, et al. Local recurrence after simple mastectomy. Br J of Surg 1994; 81: 386.
- Harris JR, Connolly JL, Schnitt SJ. The Use of pathological features in selecting the extent of surgical resection necessary for breast cancer patients treated by primary radiation therapy. Ann of Surg 1984; 201: 164.
- Halsted WS. The results of operations performed for the cure of cancer of the breast performed at the Johns Hopkins Hospital from June 1889 to January 1894. Johns Hopkins Hospital Reports 1894; 4: 297.
- Krohn IT, Cooper DR, Basset JG. Radical Mastectomy. Archiv of Surg 1982; 117: 6.
- Goldman ID, Goldwin RM. Some anatomic considerations of subcutaneous mastectomy. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1972; 50: 211.
- Pennisi VR, Capozzi A, Perez FM. Subcutaneous mastectomy data: a preliminary report. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1977; 59: 53.
- Wijajanayagam A, Kumar AS, Foster AD, et al. Optimizing the total skin-sparing mastectomy. Archiv of Surg 2008; 143(1): 38-45.
- Watson P, Marcus JN, Lynch HT. Prognosis of BRCA1 hereditary breast cancer. Lancet 1998; 351: 304.
- Hartman LC, Schaid DJ, Woods JE, et al. Efficacy of Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy in women with a family history of breast cancer. New Engel J of Med 1999; 340(2): 77.
- Wickman M. Breast reconstruction-past achievements, current status and future goals. Scand J of Plast and Reconstr Surg and Hand Surg 1995; 29(2): 81.
- Czerny V. Plastischer Ersatz der Brusthus durch ein Lipoma. Zentr für Chirurgie 1895; 27: 72.
- Goldwyn RM. Vincenz Czerny and the beginnings of breast reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1978; 61(5): 673.[PubMed]
- Teimourian B, Adham MN. Louis Ombredanne and the origin of muscle flap use for immediate breast mound reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1983; 72(6): 905.[PubMed]
- Bartlett W. An Anatomic Substitute For The Female Breast. Ann of Surg 1917; 66(2): 208.[PubMed]
- Tansini I. Sul mio processo di amputazione della mamello per cancro. Operative Presentation to the Milan Society for Medicine & Biology; 30 June 1908
- d'Este S. La technique de l'amputation de la mamelle pour carcinome mammaire. Revue Chir 1912; 45: 164.
- Maxwell GP. Iginio Tansini and the origin of the latissimus dorsi musculocutaneous flap. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1980; 65: 686.[PubMed]
- Holdsworth WG. A method of reconstructing the breast. Br J of Plast Surg 1956; 9(2): 161.
- Gillies HM, Millard DR Jr. in The Principles and Art of Plastic Surgery, Little Brown and Company, Boston 1975; p175-179.
- Pontes R. Single stage reconstruction of the missing breast. Br J of Plast Surg 1973; 26(4): 377.
- Longacre JJ, Destefano GA, Holmstrand K. Breast reconstruction with local derma and fat pedicle flaps. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1959; 24: 563.[PubMed]
- Beekman WH, et al. Augmentation mammaplasty: the story before the silicone bag prosthesis. Ann of Plast Surg 1999; 43(4): 446.[PubMed]
- Spear SL, Mardini S. Alternative filler materials and new implant designs: what's available and what's on the horizon? Clin in Plast Surg 2001; 28(3): 435.
- Cronin TD, Gerow F. Augmentation mammaplasty: a new "natural feel" prosthesis. In: Broadbent TR, (ed). Transactions of the Third International Congress of Plastic Surgery. Amsterdam: Excerpta Medica 1964; 41.
- Spear SL. Primary Implant Reconstruction. In: ed Spear S, The Breast: Principles and Art Lippin-cott-Raven, Philadelphia 1998; p347.
- Radovan C. Reconstruction of the Breast after Radical Mastectomy using the temporary Expander. Plast Surg Forum 1978; 1: 41.
- Radovan C. Advantages and complications of Breast Reconstruction using the temporary Expander. Plast Surg Forum 1980; 3: 83.
- Radovan C. Breast Reconstruction after Mastectomy using the temporary Expander. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1982; 69: 195.[PubMed]
- Maxwell GP. Two stage breast reconstruction using biospan textured surface skin Expanders. McGhan Med Corpor 1990.
- Maxwell GP, Spear SL. Two stage breast reconstruction using the saline Biodimensional system. McGhan Med Corpor 1994.
- Colen SR. Immediate Two-Stage Breast Reconstruction utilizing a tissue expander and implant. In: ed Spear S The Breast: Principles and Art Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia 1998; p375.
- Becker H. Breast reconstruction using an inflatable breast implant with detachable reservoir. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1984; 73: 678.[PubMed]
- Becker H. Immediate breast reconstruction after mastectomy using a permanent tissue expander. Southern Med J 1987; 80: 154.
- Khoo CTK. Breast reconstruction with implants and expanders. In: Dixon JM (ed) Breast Cancer: Diagnosis & Management, Elsevier; Amsterdam 2000; p215.
- Austad ED, Rose GL. A self inflating tissue Expander. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1982; 70: 588.[PubMed]
- Becker D, McCraw JB, Horton C. Immediate and Delayed use of the Thoracoepigastric flap for Reconstruction of the total mastectomy defect. [Presented at] Annual meeting, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Atlanta 1976.
- Cronin TD, Upton J, McDonough JM. Reconstruction of the Breast after mastectomy. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1977; 59: 1.[PubMed]
- Drever JM. Total breast reconstruction with either of two abdominal flaps. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1977; 59: 185.[PubMed]
- Pontes R. Single stage reconstruction of the missing breast. Br J of Plast Surg 1973; 27: 377.
- Marshal DR, Anstee EJ, Stapleton MJ. Postmastectomy Breast Reconstruction using a breast-sharing technique. Br J of Plast Surg 1981; 34: 426.
- Arnold PG, Hartrampf CR, Jurkiewicz MJ. One stage reconstruction of the breast using the transposed greater omentum. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1976; 57: 520.[PubMed]
- Emmett AJJ. The dog-ear flap for reconstruction of the breast cone following mastectomy. Australia and New Zealand J of Surg 1979; 49: 526.
- Olivari N. The Latissimus flap. Br J of Plast Surg 1976; 29: 126.
- Schneider WJ, Hill HL, Brown RG. Latissimus dorsi flap for breast Reconstruction. Br J of Plast Surg 1977; 30: 277.
- Prendergast W Jr, Bostwick J III, Jurkiewicz MJ. The subcutaneous mastectomy cripple. Plast and Reconstruct Surg 1980; 66: 554.
- Fisher J, Bostwick J III, Powell RW. Latissimus dorsi blood supply after thoracodorsal vessel division: the serratus collateral. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1983; 72: 502.
- Tobin GR, Schusterman M, Peterson GH, et al. The intramuscular neurovascular anatomy of the latissimus dorsi muscle: the basis for splitting the flap. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1981; 67(5): 637.[PubMed]
- Noguchi M, Taniya T, Miyasaki I, et al. Immediate transposition of latissimus dorsi muscle for correcting a postquadrantectomy breast deformity in Japanese patients. Inter J of Surg 1990; 75: 161.
- Raja M, Straker V and Rainsbury R. Extending the role of breast conserving surgery by immediate volume replacement. Br J of Surg 1997; 84: 101.
- Germann G, Steinau H-U. Breast reconstruction with the extended latissimus dorsi flap. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1996; 97(3): 519-26.
- Drever JM. The epigastric Island Flap. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1976; 59: 343.
- Robbins TH. Rectus Abdominis myocutaneous flap for breast reconstruction. Australia and New Zealand J of Surg 1979; 49: 527.
- Dinner MI, Labandter HP, Dowden RV. Role of the rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap in breast reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1982; 69: 209.[PubMed]
- Hartrampf CR, Sheflan M, Black PW. Breast reconstruction with the transverse abdominal island flap. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1982; 69: 216.[PubMed]
- Ishii CH Jr, Bostwick J III, Rain TJ, et al. Double-pedicle transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for unilateral breast and chest wall reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1986; 76: 901.
- Hartrampf CR Jr. Breast reconstruction with the transverse abdominal island flap. Perspect in Plast Surg 1987; 1: 123.
- Nahabedian MY, Momen B, Galdino G, et al. Breast reconstruction with the free TRAM or DIEP flap: patient selection, choice of flap, and outcome. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2002; 110: 466.[PubMed]
- Taylor GI. The delayed tram flap for breast reconstruction: Why, when, and how. Operative Tech in Plast and Reconstr Surg 1999; 6: 74.
- Berrino P, Santi P. Hemodynamic analysis of the TRAM. Applications to the "Recharged" TRAM flap. In Elliot FD (ed) Clinics in Plastic Surgery, Autogenous Tissue Breast Reconstruction 1994; 2(12):233.
- Harashina T, Sone K, Inoue T, et al. Augmentation of circulation of pedicled flaps by microvascular surgery. Br J of Plast Surg 1987; 40: 367.
- McGregor IA, Jackson IT. The Groin Flap. Br J of Plast Surgery 1972; 25: 3.
- Serafin D, Given KS. Reconstruction of the thorax and breast following radical mastectomy. In Serafin D and Buncke HJ (eds) Microsurgical Composite Tissue Transplantation. Mosby; St. Louis 1979; p541.
- Harii K, Ohmori S. Use of the gastroepiploic vessels as recipient or donor vessels in the free transfer of flaps by microvascular anastomosis. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1973; 52: 541.
- Serafin D, Georgiade NG, Given KS. Transfer of free flaps to provide well-vascularized thick cover for breast reconstruction after radical mastectomy. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1978; 62: 527.[PubMed]
- Elliott LF, Hartrampf CR Jr. The Rubens flap. The deep circumflex iliac artery flap. Clin in Plast Surg 1998; 25: 283.[PubMed]
- Elliott LF. The lateral transverse thigh free flap for autologous tissue breast reconstruction. Perspect in Plast Surg 1989; 3: 80.
- Serafin D, Deland M, Lesesne C, et al. Reconstruction with vascularised composite tissue in patients with excessive injury following surgery and irradiation. Ann of Plast Surg 1982; 8: 35.
- Maxwell GP, Stueber K, Hoopes JE. A free latissimus dorsi musculocutaneous flap. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1978; 62: 462.[PubMed]
- Bailey BN. Latissimus dorsi flap: A practical approach. Ann of the Acad of Med 1979; 8: 445.
- Bostwick J, Nahai F, Wallace JG, et al. Sixty latissimus dorsi flaps. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1979; 63: 31.[PubMed]
- Godina M. Preferential use of end-to-side arterial anastomosis in free flap transfers. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1979; 64: 673.[PubMed]
- Fujino T, Harashina T, Aoyagi FL. Reconstruction for aplasia of the breast and pectoral region by microvascular transfer of a free flap from the buttock. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1975; 56: 178.[PubMed]
- Grotting JC, Urist MM, Maddox WA, et al. Conventional TRAM flap versus free microsurgical TRAM flap for immediate breast reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1989; 83: 828.[PubMed]
- Shusterman MA, Kroll SS, Miller MJ, et al. The free transverse rectus abdominis flap for breast reconstruction-one center's experience with 211 consecutive cases. Ann of Plast Surg 1994; 32: 234.
- Feller AM. Free TRAM. Results and abdominal wall function. Clin in Plast Surg 1994; 21: 223.[PubMed]
- Blondeel PN, Morris SF, Hallock GG, et al. editors: Perforator Flaps: anatomy, technique and clinical applications (volumes I and II). Quality Medical Publishing, St Louis 2006; p37
- Koshima I, Soeda S. Inferior epigastric artery skin flaps without rectus abdominis muscle. Br J of Plast Surg 1989; 42: 645.
- Allen RJ, Treece P. Deep inferior epigastric perforator flap for breast reconstruction. Ann of Plast Surg 1994; 32: 32.[PubMed]
- Hamdi M, Blondeel P, Van Landuyt, et al. Bilateral Autogenous Breast Reconstruction Using Perforator Free Flaps: A Single Center's Experience. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2004; 114: 83.
- Blondeel N, Vanderstraeten GG, Monstrey SJ, et al. The donor site morbidity of free DIEP flaps and free TRAM flaps for breast reconstruction. Br J of Plast Surg 1997; 50: 322.
- Grotting JC. The Free abdominoplasty Flap for immediate breast reconstruction. Ann of Plast Surg 1991; 27: 351.[PubMed]
- Arnez ZM, Khan U, Pogorelec D, et al. Breast reconstruction using the free superficial inferior epigastric artery (SIEA) flap. Br J of Plast Surg 1999; 52: 276.
- Chevray PM. Breast reconstruction with superficial inferior epigastric flaps: a prospective comparison with TRAM and DIEP flaps. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2004; 114: 1077.[PubMed]
- Allen RJ. Discussion. Breast reconstruction with superficial inferior epigastric flaps: a prospective comparison with TRAM and DIEP flaps. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2004; 114: 1084.
- Heitman C, Levine JL, Allen RJ. Gluteal Artery Perforator Flaps. Clin in Plast Surg 2007; 34(1): 123-30.
- Nahabedian MY. Nipple Reconstruction. Clin in Plast Surg 2007; 34(1): 131-37.[PubMed]
- A Policy framework for commissioning cancer services: a report by the expert advisory group on cancer to the Chief Medical Officers of England and Wales. London 2000; Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- NICE: Improving outcomes in breast cancer - manual update. National Institute for Clinical excellence; London 2002.
- The Association of Breast Surgery @ BASO, Royal College of Surgeons of England. Guidelines for the Management of Symptomatic Breast Disease. Eur J of Surg Oncol 2005; 31: S1-S21.
- Callaghan CJ, Couto E, Kerin MJ, et al. Breast Reconstruction in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Br J of Surg 2002; 89(3): 335-40.
- Veronesi U, Cascinelli N, Mariani L, et al. Twenty year follow-up of a randomised study comparing breast-conserving surgery with radical mastectomy for early breast cancer. New Eng J of Med 2002; 347: 1227-32.
- Fisher B, Anderson S, Bryant J, et al. Twenty year follow-up of a randomised trial comparing total mastectomy, lumpectomy, and lumpectomy plus irradiation for the treatment of invasive breast cancer. New Eng J of Med 2002; 1233-41.
- Chetty U, Jack W, Prescott RJ, et al. On behalf of the Edinburgh Breast Unit. Management of the axilla in operable breast cancer treated by breast conservation: a randomised clinical trial. Br J of Surg 2002; 87: 163-69.
- Noguchi M, Taniya T, Tsugawa K, et al. Expanding the role of Breast-Conserving Therapy using Immediate Volume replacement. Breast Cancer 1998; 5(3): 219-26.[PubMed]
- Clough KB, Cuminet J, Fitoussi A, et al. Cosmetic Sequelae after Conservative treatment for Breast Cancer: Classification and results of surgical correction. Ann of Plast Surg 1998; 41(5): 471-81.[PubMed]
- Clough KB, Kroll SS, Audretsch W. An approach to the repair of partial mastectomy defects. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1999; 104: 409-20.[PubMed]
- Masetti R, Pirulli PG, Magno S, et al. Oncoplastic Techniques in the conservative surgical treatment of breast cancer. Breast Cancer 2000; 7(4): 276-80.[PubMed]
- Grisotti A. Immediate reconstruction after partial mastectomy. Operative Tech in Plast and Reconstr Surg 1994; 1: 1-12.
- Noguchi M, Minami M, Earashi M, et al. Oncologic and cosmetic outcome in patients with breast cancer treated with wide excision, transposition of adipose tissue with latissimus dorsi muscle, and axillary dissection followed by radiotherapy. Breast Cancer Res and Treat 1995; 35: 163-71[PubMed]
- Taylor ME, Perez CA, Hiverson KJ, et al. Factors influencing cosmetic results after conservation therapy for breast cancer. Inter J of Rad Oncol Biology Physics 1995; 31: 753.
- Slavin S, Schnitt SJ, Duda RB, et al. Skin Sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Reconstruction: Oncologic Risks and Aesthetic Results in Patients with Early-Stage Breast Cancer. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1998; 102: 49-62.[PubMed]
- Donegan WL, Perez-Mesa CM, Watson FR. A biostatistical study of locally recurrent breast cancer. Surg Gyn and Obstetrics 1966; 122: 529.
- Kroll SS, Ames F, Singletary SE, et al. The oncologic risks of skin preservation at mastectomy when combined with immediate reconstruction of the breast. Surg Gyn and Obstetrics 1991; 172: 17.
- de Roos MAJ, de Bock GH, Baas PC, et al. Compliance with guidelines is related to better local recurrence-free survival in ductal carcinoma in situ. Br J of Cancer 2005; 93; 1122-27.[Crossref]
- Kotwall C, Brinker C, Covington D, et al. Local and national trends over a decade in the surgical treatment of ductal carcinoma in situ. Amer J of Surg 2003; 186: 723-28.
- Kronowitz SJ, Kuerer HM. Advances and surgical decision-making for breast reconstruction. Cancer 2006; 107(5): p. 893-907.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Kroll SS. Why autologous tissue? Clin in Plast Surg 1998; 25(2): 251-59.
- The Association of Breast Surgery @ the British Association of Surgical Oncology, and The British Association of Plastic Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgeons. Oncoplastic breast surgery - A guide to good practice. The Eur J of Surg Oncol 2007; S1-S23.
- Schain WS, et al. The sooner the better: a study of psychological factors in women undergoing immediate versus delayed breast reconstruction. Amer J of Psych 1985; 142(1): 40-46.
- Rosenqvist S, Sandelin K Wickman M. Patients' psychological and cosmetic experience after immediate breast reconstruction. Eur J of Surg Oncol 1996; 22(3): 262-66.[Crossref]
- Harcourt DM, Rumsey NJ, Ambler NR, et al. The psychological effect of mastectomy with or without breast reconstruction: a prospective, multicenter study. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2003; 111(3): 1060-68.[PubMed]
- Roth RS, Lowery JC, Davis J, et al. Psychological factors predict patient satisfaction with postmastectomy breast reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2007; 119(7): 2008-15; discussion 2016-17.
- Rosato, FE, Horton CE, Maxwell GP. Postmastectomy breast reconstruction. Cur Probl Surg 1980; 17(11): 585-629.
- Sultan M, Smith M, Estabrook A, et al. Immediate breast reconstruction in patients with locally advanced disease. Ann of Plast Surg 1997; 38(4): 345-49.[PubMed]
- Styblo TM, Lewis MM, Carlson GW, et al. Immediate breast reconstruction for stage III breast cancer using transverse rectus abdominis musculocutaneous (TRAM) flap. Ann of Surg Oncol 1996; 3(4): 375-80.
- Cordeiro PG, McCarthy CM. A single surgeon's 12-year experience with tissue expander/implant breast reconstruction: part I. A prospective analysis of early complications. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2006; 118(4): p. 825-31.
- Furey PC, Macgillivray DC, Castiglione CL, et al. Wound Complications in patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy after mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction for breast cancer. J of Surg Oncol 1994; 55(3): 194-97.
- Fowble B, Gray R, Gilchrist K, et al. Identification of a subgroup of patients with breast cancer and histologically positive axillary nodes receiving adjuvant chemotherapy who may benefit from postoperative radiotherapy. J of Clin Oncol 1988; 6(7): p. 1107-17.
- Ragaz J, Jackson S, Le N, et al. Adjuvant radiotherapy and chemotherapy in node-positive premenopausal women with breast cancer. New Eng J of Med 1997; 337(14): 956-62.
- Pierce LJ, Glatstein E. Postmastectomy radiotherapy in the management of operable breast cancer. Cancer 1994; 74(1 Suppl): p. 477-85.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Overgaard M, Hansen PS, Overgaard J, et al. Postoperative radiotherapy in high-risk premenopausal women with breast cancer who receive adjuvant chemotherapy. Danish Breast Cancer Cooperative Group 82b Trial. New Eng J of Med 1997; 337(14): p. 949-55.
- Recht A, Edge SB, Solin LJ, et al. Postmastectomy radiotherapy: clinical practice guidelines of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. J of Clin Oncol 2001; 19(5): p. 1539-69.
- Lin KY, Patterson JW, Simmons J, et al. Effects of external beam irradiation of the TRAM flap: an experimental model. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2001; 107: 1190-97.[PubMed]
- Jugenburg M, Disa A, Pusic P, et al. Impact of radiotherapy on breast reconstruction. Clin in Plast Surg 2007; 34(1): p. 29-37; abstract v-vi.
- Victor SJ, Brown DM, Horwitz EM, et al. Treatment outcome with radiation therapy after breast augmentation or reconstruction in patients with primary breast carcinoma. Cancer 1998; 82(7): 1303-09.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Mansfield C. Effects of radiation therapy on wound healing after mastectomy. Clin in Plast Surg 1979; 6(1): 19-26.[PubMed]
- Cordeiro PG, McCarthy CM. A single surgeon's 12-year experience with tissue expander/implant breast reconstruction: part II. An analysis of long-term complications, aesthetic outcomes, and patient satisfaction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2006; 118(4): 832.
- Schuster RH, Kuske RR, Young VL, et al. Breast reconstruction in women treated with radiation therapy for breast cancer: cosmesis, complications, and tumor control. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1992; 90(3): 445-52; discussion 453-54.
- Kroll SS, Baldwin B. A comparison of outcomes using three different methods of breast reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1992; 90(3): 455-62.[PubMed]
- Elliot LF, Eskenasi L, Beegle PM. Immediate TRAM flap breast reconstruction: 128 consecutive cases. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1993; 92(2): 217-27.
- Williams JK, Bostwick J, Ried JT, et al. TRAM flap breast reconstruction after radiation treatment. Ann Surg 1995; 221(6): p. 756-64; discussion 764-66.[Crossref]
- Tran NV, Chang DW, Gupta A, et al. Comparison of immediate and delayed free TRAM flap breast reconstruction in patients receiving postmastectomy radiation therapy. Plast and Reconstr Surg 2001; 108(1): p. 78-82.[PubMed]
- Motwani SB, Strom EA, Schechter NR, et al. The impact of immediate breast reconstruction on the technical delivery of postmastectomy radiotherapy. Inter J of Rad Oncol Biology Physics 2006; 66(1): p. 76-82.
- Javaid M, Song F, Leinster S, et al. Radiation effects on the cosmetic outcomes of immediate and delayed autologous breast reconstruction: an argument about timing. J of Plast Reconstr and Aesthet Surg 2006; 59(1): 16-26.[PubMed]
- Kroll SS, Schusterman MA, Reece GP, et al. Breast reconstruction with myocutaneous flaps in previously irradiated patients. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1994; 93(3): p. 460-69; discussion 470-71.
- Kronowitz SJ. Immediate versus delayed reconstruction. Clin in Plast Surg 2007; 34(1): 39-50.[PubMed]
- Asgeirsson K, Rasheed T, McCulley S, et al. Oncological and cosmetic outcomes of oncoplastic breast conserving surgery. Eur J of Surg Oncol 2003; 31(8): 817-23.
- McCulley S, Macmillan R. Planning and use of therapeutic mammaplasty -Nottingham approach. Br J of Plast Surg 2005; 58(7): 889-901.
- Bright-Thomas R. Keeping abreast of change. BMJ Careers 2006; doi: 0.1136/bmj.332.7534.s23-a
- Sotheran WJ, Rainsbury RM. Skin-sparing mastectomy in the UK-a review of current practice. Ann of the Royal College of Surg of Engl 2004; 86(2): 82-86.
- Baildam A, et al. Oncoplastic breast surgery-a guide to good practice. Eur J Surg Oncol 2007; 33 Suppl 1: p. S1-23.
- The UK National Mastectomy and Breast Reconstruction Audit 2008, Health Care Commission
- Morrow M, et al. Factors predicting the use of breast-conserving therapy in stage I and II breast carcinoma. J of Clin Oncol 2001; 19(8): 2254-62.
- Berger Y, Bostwick J III. A woman's decision: Breast Care, Treatment and Reconstruction. Quality Medical Publishing; St. Louis, Missouri 1994.
- Austin S, Hitchcock C. Breast Cancer: What you should know (But may not be told) about Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment. Prima Publishing; Rockling California 1994.
- Friedlander LD, Sundin J, Bakshandeh N. Endoscopy mastectomy and breast reconstruction: Endoscopic breast surgery. Aesth Plast Surg 1995; 19(1): 27-29.
- Fukuma E. Endoscopic Breast Surgery for Breast Cancer [Japanese] Nippon Geka Gakkai Zasshi 2006; 107: 64-68.
- Sanuki J-I, Eisuke Fukuma E, Wadamori K, et al. Volume replacement with polyglycolic acid mesh for correcting breast deformity after endoscopic conservative surgery. Clin in Breast Cancer 2005; 6(2): 175.[PubMed]
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Reports from the Aesthetic Meeting 2007-Part II
- Delay E, Chekaroua K, Mojalall A, et al. Australia and New Zealand Journal of Surgery (2003) 73 (Supplement 2) A237-238.
- Breast Enlargement by Fat Injection - American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Position Statement (2003)
- French Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Recommendation regarding fat injections in breast (Jan 2008)
- Pinsolle V, Chichery A, Grolleau, et al. Autologous fat injection in Poland's syndrome. J of Plast Reconstr and Aesth Surg 2008; Feb 21 [E publication ahead of print].
- The Department of Health (November 2006). Cancer Waiting Targets, A Guide.
- Imaginis - the Women's Health Resource. Breast Reconstruction (September 2007)
- AETNA Clinical Policy Bulletin: Breast Reconstructive Surgery Number: 0185 (June 2007)
- American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts and Figures 2007
- Fujino T, Harashina T, Enomoto K. Primary breast reconstruction after a standard radical mastectomy by a free-flap transfer. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1976; 58: 371.[PubMed]
- Shaw WW. Breast reconstruction by superior gluteal microvascular free flaps without silicone implants. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1983; 72: 490.[PubMed]
- le Quang C. Two new free flaps developed from aesthetic surgery. II the Inferior gluteal free flap. Aesthetic Plast Surg 1980; 4: 159.
- Paletta CE, Bostwick J III, Nahai F. The inferior gluteal free flap in breast reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1989; 84: 875.
- Holmström H. The free abdominoplasty flap and its use in breast reconstruction. Scandin J of Plast and Reconst Surg 1979; 13: 423.
- Fisher B, Redmond C, Poisson R, et al. Eight year results of a randomized clinical trial comparing total mastectomy and lumpectomy with or without irradiation in the treatment of breast cancer. New Eng J of Med 1989; 320(13): 822.
- Fowble BL, Solin LJ, Schultz DJ, et al. Ten year results of conservative surgery and irradiation for stage I and II breast cancer. Inter J of Rad Oncol Biol Physics 1991; 21(2): 269.
- Veronesi U, Banfi A, Salvadori B, et al. Breast conservation is the treatment of choice in small breast cancer: long term results of a randomized trial. Eur J of Cancer 1990; 26: 668.[Crossref]
- Sacks NP and Baum M. Primary management of carcinoma of the breast. Lancet 1993; 342: 1402-08.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Early Breast Cancer Trialist's Collaborative Group. Effects of radiotherapy and surgery in early breast cancer. An overview of the randomised trials. New Eng J of Med 1995; 333: 1444.
- Veronesi U, Salvadori B, Luimi A, et al. Conservative Treatment of Early Breast Cancer: long term results of 1232 cases treated with quadrantectomy, axillary dissection and radiotherapy. Ann of Surg 1990; 211: 250.
- Veronesi U, Voilterrani F, Luimi A, et al. Quadrantectomy versus lumpectomy for small size breast cancer. Eur J of Cancer 1990; 26: 670.
- Mariani L, Salvadori B, Marubini E, et al. Ten year results of a randomized trial comparing two conservative treatment strategies for small size breast cancer. Eur J of Cancer 1998; 34: 1156.[Crossref]
- Clough KB, Baruch J. La chirurgie plastique et le traitement conservateur du cancer du sein. Indications et résultats. Ann de Chir Plast Esthétique 1992; 37: 682.
- Swan MC, Goodacre TEE, Meakins JL, et al. Anisotropic self-inflating tissue expanders in Reconstructive Plastic Surgery. [Presented at] Winter Scientific meeting, British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons, London, 5 December 2007.
- Thorek M. In Plastic Surgery of the Breast and abdominal wall. Charles C Thomas, Springfield, Illinois; 1942; p 383.
- Gillies H. Surgical Replacement of the Breast. Proceedings of the Royal Soc of Med 1959; 52: 597.
- Lewis JR. Use of a sliding flap from the abdomen to provide cover in Breast Reconstruction. Plast and Reconstr Surg 1979; 64: 4.
- Bohmert H. Personal method for reconstruction of the female breast following radical mastectomy. In Marchac D and Hueston J (eds) Transactions of the 6th International Congress of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Masson, Paris 1976; p 542.
Publication order reference