Laser Videoscope and Sclerotherapy of Telangiectases
Languages of publication
Today sclerotherapy is the elective treatment for most cases of telangiectases. The main exceptions are "red" telangiectases, those with a caliber <0.3 mm and those with high flow, which do not respond to sclerotherapy or are aggravated by it as they require high concentrations of locally and generally toxic sclerosant solutions.The aim of the study was to remove all types of telangiectases, reduce doses and concentrations of sclerosant drugs, reduce risks and side effects, improve course and recovery time and increase long-term effects.Material and methods. We treated the types of telangiectases above-mentioned (563 cases on the legs, 375 on the face) with laser photocoagulation and two different techniques, called Laser-Video Sclerotherapy (LVST) and Laser-Video Therapy (LVT), utilizing also the videocapillaroscope coupled with diode laser 532 nm.Results. All types of telangiectases of the face disappeared, and 22 cases only haven't results on the legs. Relapses had be minus than 10% of cases of legs, and minus than 7% on the face. No side effectives appears in any cases.Conclusions. We achieved four on five objectives purposed, using LVT and LSVT in selected cases. Relapses are the greater problem still no-eliminated.
1 - 10 - 2008
20 - 10 - 2008
- Anderson RR, Parrish JA. Selective photothermolysis: Precise microsurgery by selective absorption of pulsed radiation. Science 1983; 220: 524-27.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Anderson RR, Jaenicke KF, Parrish JA. Mechanisms of selective vascular changes caused by dye lasers. Lasers Surg Med 1983; 3: 211-15.[PubMed]
- Apfelberg DB, Maser MR, Lash H. et al.: Use of the argon and carbon dioxide lasers for treatment of superficial venous varicosities of the tower extremity. Lasers Surg Med 1984; 4: 221-31.[Crossref]
- Apfelberg DB, Mc Burney E. Use of the argon laser in dermatotogic surgery. In: Ratz J. L. (ed.), Lasers in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. Chicago, Year Book Medical Publishers, 1986; 31-71.
- Apfelberg DB, Smith T, Maser MR. et al.: Study of there laser systems for treatment of superficial varicosities of the lower extremity. Lasers Surg Med 1987; 7: 219-23.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Achauer BM, Vander Kam UM. Argon laser treatment of telangiectasias of the face and neck: 5 year's experience. Laser Surg Med 1987; 7: 87-91.
- Longo L. Terapia Laser, Firenze 1986, USES ed., 1-206.
- Corcos L, Longo L. The role of lasers and sclerotherapy in the treatment of telangiectases J Dermatol. Surg Oncol 1993; 19: 45-48.
- Goldman MP, Fitzpatrick RE. Treatment of cutaneous vascular lesions. In: Goldman MP, Fitzpatrick RE: eds. Cutaneous laser surgery: the art and science of selective photothermolysis. St Louis: Mosby, 1994; 19-105.
- Waldorf HA, Lask GP, Geronemus RG. Laser treatment of telangiectasias In Alster TS, Apfelberg DB Cosmetic Laser Surgery 1996; 93-106, J Wiley-Liss PubI.
- Goldman MP, Fitzpatrick RE. Pulsed dye laser treatment of leg telangiectasia:with and without simultaneous sclerotheraphy. J Dermatol. Surgical Oncol 1990; 16(4): 338-44.[Crossref]
- Goldman MP, Weiss RA, Brodyy HJ. et al.: Treatment of facial telangiectasia with sclerotherapy, laser surgery, and/or electrodesiccation: a review. J Dermatol.Surg Oncol 1993; 19: 889-906.
- Corcos L, Longo L. Combined laser and sclerotherapy for telangiectases of the lower limbs. Phebology 1989; 4: 51-53.
- Longo L, Corcos L. Lasers in phlebology. State of art. Laser III, 1990; 19-22.
- Corcos L, Longo L. Classification and therapy of telangIectases of the lower limbs. Laser 1988; 1(3): 22-28.
- Corcos L, Longo L. Rational use of the argon laser in telangiectases of the lower limbs. Proceedings 9th international congress on laser optoelectronics in medicine, 1989 Munchen, Springer Verlag, W. Waidelich ed., 1990; 299-303.
- Longo L. II laser in flebologia. In: Mancini S. Trattato Italiano di Flebologia, UTET pub., Torino 1998 (in press).
- Kurban AK, Sherwood KA, Tan OT. What are ihe optimal wavelengths for selective vascular injury? Lasers Surg Med 1988; 8: 190.
- Alster TS, Apfelberg DB. Cosmetic Laser Surgery J. Wiley-Liss Publ., 1996.
- American Health Consultants Therapy advances improve leg vein treatment Advanced technology in surgical care, 1996; 14(5): 57-59.
- Hruza GJ, Geronemus RG, Dover JS. et al.: Lasers in dermatology 1993. Arch Dermatol 1993; 129: 1026-35.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Garden JM, Tan OT, Parrish JA. The pulsed dye laser: its use at 577 nm wavelength. J Dermatol. Surg Oncol 1987; 13: 134-38.[PubMed]
- Geronemus RG. Argon laser for the treatment of cutaneous lesions. Clin Dermatol 1995; 1 3: 55-58.
- Kefler GS. Use of the KTP laser in cosmetic surgery. Am J Cosmetic Surg 1992; 9: 177-80.
- Key D. Argon-pumped tunable dye laser for the treatment of cutaneous lesions. Clin Dermatol 1995; 13: 59-61.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Mac Daniel DH. Cutaneous vascular disorders: advances in laser treatments. Cutis 1990; 45: 339-59.
- Mac Daniel DH. Clinical applications of lasers for skin disorders: comparisons and contrasts. Skinlaser Today 1992; 5-13.
- Tan OT, Murray S, Urban AK. Action spectrum of vascular specific in using pulsed irradiation. J Invest Dermatol 1989; 92: 868-71.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Glassberg E, Lask GP, Tan EML. et al.: The Flashlamp-Pumped 577-nm pulsed tunable dye laser Clinical efficacy and in vitro studies. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1988; 14: 1200-09.[PubMed]
- Broska P, Martinho E, Goodman M. Comparison of the argon tunable dye laser with the flashlamp pulsed dye laser in treatment of facial telangiectasia. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1994; 20: 749-54.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Ofrenstein A, Nelson SJ. Treatment of face vascular lesions with a 100 micron spot 577 nm pulsed continuous wave dye laser. Ann Plast Surg 1989; 23: 310-16.
- Waner M, Dinehart S, Wilson M. et al.: A comparison of copper vapor and fiashlarnp ~ pumped dye lasers in treatment of facial telangiectasia. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1993; 19: 992-98.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Thibault PK. Treatment of telangiectasias In: Bergen JJ, Goldman MP, eds. Varicose veins and telangiectasias. Diagnosis and treatment. St Louis Quality Medical Publishing 1993; 373-88.
- Apfelberg DB, Smoller B. Preliminary Analysis of hystological results of hexascan device with continous tunable dye laser at 514 nm (argon) and 577 nm (yellow). Laser Surg and Med 1993; 13: 106-12.
- Chess C. Cool laser optics for large telangiectasia. J Dermatol Surg 1993; 19: 74-80.
- Longo L, Botta G, Dal Maso M. et al.: Therapeutic Laser Videocapillaroscope for the telangiectases 17th Congress of American Society for Laser Medicine and surgery, Phoenix, Laser Surgery and Med 1997.
- Marangoni O, Longo L. Lasers in Phlebology, IALMS publisher, Firenze, 2007.
- Tournay R. La sclerose des varices. Expansion Scientifique Francaise, 1984; 1-294.
Publication order reference