The Use of Liposomal Heparin Spray-Gel in the Treatment of Superficial Thrombophlebitis: A Multicenter Clinical Investigation Analysis
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of liposomal heparin spray-gel in the treatment of superficial thrombophlebitis.Material and methods. The presented study is an analysis of two clinical investigations performed during the period between March 1999 and May 2002, which evaluate the efficacy and safety of liposomal heparin spray-gel (Lipohep) in the treatment of superficial thrombophlebitis, as well as a comparison with results obtained following subcutaneous enoxaparin injections. The study group comprised 88 patients, including 43 on Lipohep treatment and 45 on low molecular weight heparin.Results. Two patients withdrew from the investigation before the control visit. After seven days, therapy was stopped in the case of 16 Lipohep patients and 18 low molecular weight heparin patients. After 14 days, therapy was stopped in 21 and 25 patients, respectively. One low molecular weight heparin and five Lipohep patients did not finish the investigation. This was connected with a lack of clinical improvement and development of side-effects. A statistically significant reduction of pain and the appearance of erythema was observed in both patient groups during the initial seven days of treatment. One patient on low molecular weight heparin was diagnosed with superficial thrombophlebitis recurrence. Ten patients developed complications, with deep venous thrombosis being most significant (two patients were treated with Lipohep and one with enoxaparin). One patient on Lipohep treatment developed superficial thrombophlebitis of the upper extremity.Conclusions. Liposomal heparin spray-gel is safe and effective in the treatment of local superficial thrombophlebitis symptoms. The initial results considering the use of Lipohep are promising and should be confirmed in a larger group of patients.
1 - 2 - 2008
7 - 4 - 2008
- Chengelis DL, Bendick PJ, Glover JL et al.: Progression of superficial venous thrombosis to deep vein thrombosis. J Vasc Surg 1996; 24: 745-49.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Bounameaux H, Reber-Wasam MA. Superficial thrombophlebitis and deep vein thrombosis. Arch Intern Med 1997; 157: 1822-24.
- Jorgenson JO, Hanel KC, Morgan AM et al.: The incidence of deep venous thrombosis in patients with superficial thrombophlebitis of the lower limbs. J Vasc Surg 1993; 18: 70-73.[Crossref]
- Blattler W, Frick E: Complications of superficial thrombophlebitis. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 1993; 123: 223-38.
- Blumenberg RM, Boron E, Gelfand ML et al.: Occult deep venous thrombosis complicating superficial thrombophlebitis. J Vasc Surg 1998; 27: 338-43.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Guex JJ: Thrombotic complications of varicose veins. A literature review of the role of superficial venous thrombosis. Dermatol Surg 1996; 22: 378-82.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Martinelli I, Catteneo M, Tiaoli E et al.: Genetic risk factors for superficial venous thrombosis. Thromb Haemost 1999; 82: 1215-217.[PubMed]
- Quenet S, Laporte S, Décousus H et al.: Factors predictive of venous thrombotic complications in patients with isolated superficial vein thrombosis. J Vasc Surg 2003; 38: 944-49.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Kalodiki E, Nicolaides A: Superficial thrombophlebitis and low-molecular-weight heparins. Angiology 2002; 53: 659-63.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Raake W, Binder M: Behandlung der oberflächlichen Thrombophlebitis. Hamostaseologie. 2002; 22: 149-53.
- Decousus H, Epinat M, Guillot K et al.: Superficial vein thrombosis: risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2003; 9: 393-97.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Incandela L, De Sanctis MT, Cesarone MR et al.: Treatment of superficial vein thrombosis: Clinical evaluation of Essaven gel - a placebo-controlled, 8-week, randomized study. Angiology 2001; 52(suppl 3): S69-S72.
- Betz G, Nowbakht P, Imboden R et al.: Heparin penetration into and permeation through human skin from aqueous and liposomal formulations in vitro. Int J Pharm 2001; 228: 147-59.
- Artmann CW, Kroelling P, Regenold J et al.: Liposomales Sprühgel - eine neue Galenik zur topischen Anwendung mit verbesserter Wirksamkeit am Beispiel des Heparins. Z Allg Med 1995; 71:655-60.
- Kim TD, Kambayashi J, Sakon M et al.: Metabolism of liposome-encapsulated heparin. Thromb Res 1989; 56: 369-76.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Song YK, Kim CK. Topical delivery of low-molecular-weight heparin with surface-charged flexible liposomes. Biomaterials 2006; 27: 271-80.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Katzenschlager R, Hirschl M, Minar E et al.: Liposomal heparin-spraygel in comparison with subcutaneous low molecular weight heparin in patients with superficial venous thrombosis. A randomized, controlled, open multicentre study. Journal für Kardiologie 2003; 10: 375-78.
- Górski G, Szopiński P, Michalak J et al.: Liposomal heparin spray: A new formula in adjunctive treatment of superficial venous thrombosis. Angiology 2005; 56: 9-17.[Crossref]
- Titon JP, Auger D, Grange P et al.: Therapeutic management of superficial venous thrombosis with calcium nadroparin. Dosage testing and comparison with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. Ann Cardiol Angiol 1994; 43: 160-66.
Publication order reference