Influence of Total Thyroidectomy on Orbital Opthalmopathy and Levels of Antithyroid Antibodies in Patients with Graves' Disease
Languages of publication
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease. One of the most severe complications of Graves' disease is orbitopathy.The aim of the study was to estimate the influence of total thyroidectomy on the postoperative course of exophthalmus and determine the levels of thyroid antibodies after surgery.Material and methods. During the period between 2002 and 2005, 1514 strumectomies were performed at the I Chair and Department of General, Gastroenterological and Endocrine Surgery, Medical University in Wroclaw. The study included 69 (4.5%) patients, who were operated on because of Graves' disease. Forty-two (60%) of these patients had progressive opthalmopathy and were subjected to total thyroidectomy (35 women and 7 men, mean age was 31 years). The diagnosis of Graves' disease was established on the basis of the clinical evaluation, fT3, fT4 and TSH values, as well as the determination of serum thyroid antibody levels. Every patient was subjected to an opthalmological examination, with measurements of the degree of exopthalmus, as compared to the ATA (American Thyroid Association) scale. Above-mentioned parameters were measured before surgery and 6, 12 and 18 months after total thyroidectomy.Results. Considering patients after total thyroidectomy, exophthalmus did not proceed. In 17 (40%) patients, 2- 3 mm of eyeball retraction was noted, mainly during the initial six months. After surgery, a statistically significant reduction of TSH-receptor and anti-TPO antibody values were observed.Conclusions. Total thyroidectomy in patients with Graves' disease and orbital opthalmopathy significantly reduced the progression of orbitopathy. It also leads to the normalization of serum anti-recepor (TRAb) and anti-peroxidase (anti-TPO) antibody levels.Total thyroidectomy is a quick and effective procedure in the hands of an experienced surgeon and should be performed in secondary or tertiary care centers.
1 - 3 - 2007
24 - 9 - 2007
- Gittoes NJ, Franklyn JA: Hypertyroidism: Current treatment guidelines. Drugs 1998; 55: 543.
- Cooper DS: Hyperthyroidism. Lancet 2003; 362(9382): 459-68.[WoS]
- Tapash K, Palit BS, Charles C et al.: The efficacy of thyroidectomy for Graves' Disease. A meta-analysis. J Surg Research 2000; 90: 161-65.
- Patwardhan N, Moront M, Rao S: Surgery still has a role in Graves' hyperthyroidism. Surgery 1993; 114,6: 1108-13.
- Winsa B, Rastad J, Larsson E et al.: Total thyroidectomy in therapy-resistant Graves' disease. Surgery 1994; 116(6): 1068-75.
- Shun-Yu Ch, Kun-Chou H, Shyr-Ming S-C et al.: A prospective randomized comparison of bilateral subtotal thyroidectomy versus unilateral total and contralateral subtotal thyroidectomy for Graves' disease. World J Surg 2005; 29: 160-63.
- Witte J, Goretzki PE, Dotzenrath C et al.: Surgery for Graves' Disease: Total versus subtotal thyroidectomy- results of a prospective randomized trial. World J Surg 2000; 24: 1303-11.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Johnstone HC, Dharmaraj P, Cheetham TD: The evaluation and management of thyrotoxicosis. Current Pediatrics 2004; 14: 430-37.[WoS][Crossref]
- Gimm O, Brauckhoff M, Thanh PN et al.: An update on thyroid surgery. Eur J Nuclear Med 2002; 29: 447-52.[Crossref]
- Hertz S, Roberts A: Radioactive iodine in the study of thyroid physiology. VII The use of radioactive iodine therapy in hyperthyroidism. J Am Med Assoc 1946; 131: 81.
- Tallstedt L, Lundell G, Torring O et al.: Thyroid Study Group: Occurrence of opthalmopathy after treatment for Graves' hyperthyroidism. N Engl J Med 1992; 326: 1733.
- Bartalena L, Marcoccl C, Bogazzi F et al.: Use of corticosteroids to prevent progression of Graves' ophthalmopathy after radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism. N Engl J Med 1989; 321: 349.
- Prummel MF: Graves' opthalmopathy: diagnosis and management. Eur J Nuclear Med 2000; 27(4): 373-76.[Crossref]
- Levitt MD, Edis AJ, Agnello R et al.: The effect of subtotal thyroidectomy on Graves' opthalmopathy. World J Surg 1988; 12: 593.[Crossref]
- Abe Y, Haruhiro S, Oguchi M et al.: Effect of subtotal thyroidectomy on natural history of opthalmopathy in Graves Disease. World J Surg 1998; 22: 714-17.[Crossref]
Publication order reference