Kinetics and thermodynamics of gossypol extraction from defatted cottonseed meal by ethanol
Languages of publication
Gossypol is polyphenolic aldehyde, a toxic substance naturally present in cotton plant to protect it from insects, pests and diseases. Maximum gossypol is concentrated in the seed. After extraction of oil from the cottonseed, the defatted cottonseed meal which contains both the gossypol and proteinous matter is left behind. A number of attempts have been made using different solvents to extract gossypol from the seeds. However, all these efforts have remained in the realm of academic activity only as none of them could be commercialized. If a pilot plant or commercial scale plant is to be developed then the data on the kinetics and thermodynamics of the extraction process is required. In this study ethanol has been used as the solvent at temperature below 323K for removal of gossypol from the defatted seed. This study finds the effects of parameters viz. temperature, solvent to solid ratio (SR) and extraction time on the gossypol extraction efficiency. The data obtained are used to establish the kinetics and thermodynamics of the extraction process.
1 - 1 - 2012
2 - 7 - 2012
- University School of Chemical Technology, Research Scholar, GGS IP University, Dwarka, N. Delhi (India)
- University School of Chemical Technology, GGS IP University, Dwarka, N. Delhi
- University School of Chemical Technology Professor & Dean, GGSIP University, Dwarka, N. Delhi
- Spadaro, J. J., Persell, R. M., Murphey, C. H. Jr., Vix, H. L. E., McCourtney, E. J., Hecker, J. L., Pollard, E. F. & Gastrock, E. A., (1948). Pilot-plant fractionation of cottonseed I. Disintegration of cottonseed meats. J. American Oil Chemists' Society. 25(), 345-53. DOI: 10.1007/BF02593275.[Crossref]
- -Angela Sotelo, Hortensia Villavicencio & Irene Montalvo (2005). Gossypol content on leaves and seeds some wild Malvaceae species. Afr. J. Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines. 2(1):4-12.
- Arnold, L. K. (1955). The Reduction of Free Gossypol in Cottonseed Flakes during Solvent Extraction. J. American Oil Chemists' Society, 32(3), 151-152, DOI: 10.1007/BF02640325[Crossref]
- Boatner, C. H. & Hall, C. M., (1944). Preparation of gossypol from cottonseed pigment glands. Oil & Soap. 25 (7), 233-236, DOI: 10.1007/BF02593470.[Crossref]
- Adams, R., Geissman, T. A. & Edwards, J. D., (1960). Gossypol, a Pigment of Cottonseed. Chem. Rev. 60, 555-57. DOI: 10.1021/cr60208a002.[Crossref]
- Royce, H. D. (1933). Stability tests on fats containing oxidation accelerators and inhibitors. Oil & Soap. 10(7), 123-125. DOI: 10.1007/BF02638133.[Crossref]
- Hron R. J. et. al. (1987Sept.). The potential commercial aspects of gossypol. J. American Oil Chemists' Society, 64(9), 1315-1319, DOI: 10.1007/BF02540789.[Crossref]
- Wayne, E. S. J. Pharm. 44:289 (1872 Sept.) cited in the paper Hron R. J. et. al. (1987). The potential commercial aspects of gossypol. Jr. of American Oil Chemists' Society. 64(9), 1315-1319, DOI: 10.1007/BF02540789.[Crossref]
- Vadehra, D. V.; Kalla, N. R.; Saxena, M.; Hashia, R.; Kaur, Parjit; Gupta, L. K. (1985). Antimicrobial activity of gossypol acetic acid, IRCS Medical Science, 13(1), 10-11.
- Gossypol-wikipedia.the free encyclopedia
- Strax, J. (2004). Cottonseed drug boosts cancer treatment in mice
- Rojas, Maria, G., Morales-ramos, Juan, A., Wan & Peter, J. (2004). Use of gossypol and related terpenes for control of urban and agricultural pests, US Patent No. 6773727.
- Smith, F. H. & Halverson, J. O. (1946 Nov.). Extraction & Purification of gossypol from cottonseed meats Oil & Soap, 361-363. DOI: 10.1007/BF02641665.[Crossref]
- Chernenko, T. V. et. al. (1980). Extraction of Gossypol. Translated from Khimiya Prirodnykh Soedinenii, No.2. 157-160.
- Rama, E. H. & Narasinga Rao, M. S. (1984 July). Gossypol removal and functional properties of protein produced by extraction of glanded cottonseed with different solvents. J. Food Science Vol. 49.1057-1060. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.1984.tb10391.x.[Crossref]
- Yuan, J. R. (1984Feb.). Methods of extraction and purification of gossypol. Shengzhi Yu Biyun, 4(1), 61-62.[PubMed]
- Hron, R. J.Sr. & Kuk, M. S. (1989). Acetone Extracted Cottonseed Meals without catty odor. J. Food Science. 54(4), 1088-89. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-621.1989.tb07954.x.[Crossref]
- Walter, A. Pons, J. R., Joseph Pominski, Ring, W. H., Harris, James A. & Hopper, T. H., (1959). Recovery of Gossypol from Cottonseed Gums. J. American Oil Chemists' Society, 36(8), 328-332. DOI: 10.1007/BF02640046[Crossref]
- Bhowmick, D. N. & Rebello, D. (2003), Sponsored project: Improved utilization of cottonseed meal by isopropanol extraction, Deptt. of Oils, University Institute of Chemical Technology, Matunga, Mumbai.
- Kuk, M., Tetlow, R. & Dowd, M., (2005). Cottonseed extraction with mixtures of Acetone & Hexane" Agricultural Research Service, USDA Research Project: New and Expanded Uses of Oilseed Products & By products
- Dachery, J. M. et. al. (1952). Removal of gossypol from cottonseed by solvent extraction procedures. J. American Oil Chemists' Society, 29(8), 339-341. DOI: 10.1007/BF02639814.[Crossref]
- Junfeng, Q., Zhi, Y. & Haixian, S. (2010). Cogeneration bio diesel and non toxic cottonseed meal from cottonseed processed by two phase solvent extraction. Energy Conversion and Management, 51(12), 2750-2756 DOI:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.06.011.[Crossref][WoS]
- Hron, R.J et. al. (1994) Ethanol extraction of Oil, Gossypol and Aflatoxin from cottonseed. J. American Oil Chemists' Society, 71(4), 417-421, DOI: 10.1007/BF02540523.[Crossref]
- Saxena, D. K., Sharma, S. K. & Sambi, S. S. (2011), Kinetics and Thermodynamics of cottonseed oil extraction., Grasas y Aceites, 62 (2), 198-205. DOI: 10.3989/gya.090210.[Crossref][WoS]
- Meziane, S., Kadi, H. & Lamrous, O. (2006). Kinetic study of oil extraction from olive foot cake. Grasas y Aceites, 57(2): 175-179. DOI:10.3989/gya.2006.v57.i2.[Crossref]
- Meziane, S. & Kadi, H., (2008). Kinetics and thermodynamics of oil extraction from olive cake. J. American Oil Chemists' Society. 85(4): 391-396. DOI: 10.1007/s11746-008-1205-2.[WoS][Crossref]
- Maria, Y. L. et.al. (2008). Extraction of neem oil using n-hexane and ethanol: studies on oil quality, kinetic & thermodynamics. ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci.3 (3), 49-54.
- Rakotondramasy, R. L., Havet, J. L., Porte, C. & Fauduet, H., (2007). Solid-liquid extraction of protopine from fumaria officinalis L-Analysis determination, kinetic reaction and model building., Sep. Purification Technol. 54(2), 253-261. DOI:10.1016/j.seppur.2006.09.015.[WoS][Crossref]
- Sepidar, S., Zurina, Z. A., Yunus, R. & Muhammad, A. (2009). Extraction of Oil from Jatropha Seeds-Optimization and Kinetics, Am. J. Applied Science. 6(7), 1390-1395. DOI:10.3844/ajassp.2009.1390.1395.[Crossref]
- Wenjuan, Q., Zhongli, P. & Haile, M., (2010). Extraction modeling and activities of antioxidants from pomegranate marc, J. Food Eng. 99, 16-23. DOI:10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2010.01.020.[WoS][Crossref]
Publication order reference