Isolation of 1,2-epoxybutane-3-ol and 2,3-epoxybutane-1-ol from post-reaction mixtures
Languages of publication
Attempts were made to isolate 1,2-epoxybutane-3-ol and 2,3-epoxybutane-1-ol from post-reaction mixtures left after the epoxidation of 1-butene-3-ol and 2-butene-1-ol with hydrogen peroxide by thin film distillation. From the raw mixture containing about 8.3 wt% of the epoxide at the first stage the concentration of epoxide is increased to 32 wt%. At the second stage of distillation the epoxide fraction is concentrated to about 76 wt%. After the third stage of thin film distillation the epoxide fraction of 99.6% purity can be obtained. The concentration of this fraction by azeotropic distillation with n-propanol as an azeotropic agent permits obtaining epoxide of 99.6 wt% purity.
1 - 1 - 2010
9 - 7 - 2010
- Weigert, W. M., Kleemann, A. & Schreyer, G. (1975). Glycidol-obtaining and properties. Chemiker-Zeitung 99(1), 19-25 (in German).
- Wróblewska, A. & Milchert, E. (2006). The method of glycidol separation. Pol. Patent Application No. 381,838. Warszawa: Pol. Patent and Trademark Office (in Polish).
- Krell, E. (1982). Handbook of laboratory distillation. Berlin, Germany: Elsevier Scientific Publishing.
- Aleksandrowicz, F. (1958). Laboratory technique in organic chemistry. Warszawa, Poland: PWN (in Polish).
- Bandrowski, J., Troniewski, L. (1987). Distillation and rectification (3-rd ed.). Gliwice, Poland: Silesian University of Technology (in Polish).
- Bojarski, J. (1958). Laboratory technique in organic chemistry. Warszawa, Poland: PWN (in Polish).
- Chawankul, N., Chuaprasert, S., Douglas, P. & Luewisutthichat, W. (2001). Simulation of agitated thin film evaporator for concentrating orange juice using AspenPlus™. J. Food Eng. 47, 247-253.
- Chuaprasert, S., Douglas, P. & Nguyen, M. (1999). Data reconciliation of an agitated thin film evaporator using Aspenplus. J. Food Eng. 39, 261-267.
Publication order reference