Butyl acrylate/4-acryloyloxy benzophenone copolymers as photoreactive UV-crosslinkable pressure-sensitive adhesives
Languages of publication
It has previously been shown that copolymers of butyl acrylate with 4-acryloyloxy benzophenone can be used as pressure-sensitive adhesives (PSAs). This paper presents the synthesis and application of a solvent-borne polymer system for the preparation of photoreactive UV-crosslinkable acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesives. Butyl acrylate/benzophenone copolymers with molecular mass in the range 180 000 to 480 000 Dalton were prepared by carrying out free-radical solution polymerization. These copolymers were found to be tacky but in some cases to possess insufficient cohesive strength after UV-crosslinking to be useful as PSAs. The other copolymers resulted in materials with the balance of cohesive and adhesive characteristics required of good PSAs. Some of the parameters affecting the pressure-sensitive adhesive properties of the copolymers are the concentration of 4-acryloyloxy benzophenone, the molecular mass of the polymeric components, the UV-reactivity, and properties such as tack, peel adhesion, and cohesion.
1 - 1 - 2009
9 - 10 - 2009
- Benedek, I. (2006). Developments in Pressure-Sensitive Products. CRC Taylor & Francis, New York.
- Benedek, I. (2000) Pressure-Sensitive Formulation. VSP, Utrecht.
- Czech, Z. (1999). Crosslinking of pressure-sensitive adhesives based on acrylic. Ed. Technical University of Szczecin.
- Auchter, G. (1993). UV-crosslinking of acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesives. Adhäsion 1-2, 14-17.
- Czech, Z. (2000). Einsatz von Excimerlasern in der Klebstoffchemie. Kautschuk Gummi Kunstoffe 1-2, 59-65.
- Czech, Z, Blum, W. & Herrmann, F. (1993). patent WO 94/14853, Verfahren zur Vernetzung von Haftklebern durch Einsatz von Lasern.
- Czech, Z. & Malec, A., (2006) Ultraviolet and thermal initiated crosslinking of solvent-free acrylic PSA, Polish Journal of Chemical Technology 2, 5-8.
- Milker, R. & Czech, Z. (2003). Removable and repositionable pressure-sensitive adhesive products, Stick 3rd European Congress on Adhesive and Sealant Raw Materials, Nürnberg, Germany, 23-36.
- Wabro, K., Milker, R. & Krüger, G. (1994). Haftklebstoffe und Haftklebebänder. Astorplast, Altdorf, Germany.
Publication order reference