Biodegradation of selected substances used in liquid fertilizers as an element of Life Cycle Assessment
Languages of publication
The results of laboratory investigations into the aerobic biodegradation of chelating compounds in water medium under static test conditions are presented. It was found that nitrilotriacetic acid (NTA) and glutamic acid diacetic acid (GLDA) are more readily biodegradable than ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) commonly used in the production of liquid fertilizers. Biodegradation was evaluated on the basis of compound decay and changes in COD.
1 - 1 - 2009
6 - 4 - 2009
- Polish Committee for Standardization. (2000). Polish Standard: The environmental management / Life Cycle Assessment - Principle and structure. PN-EN ISO 14040:2000. Warszawa. (in Polish).
- Kulczycka, J. (Editor). (2001). The ecological opinion of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) the new technique of environmental management. IGSMiE PAN, Kraków. (in Polish).
- Mortvedtm J. (2008, March). Efficient Fertilizer Use Manual - Micronutrients, from
- Ruter, J.M. (2006). Micronutrients for soilless substrates. Tech Shares, The Scotts Company LLC.
- Gorlach, E. & Mazur, T. (2001). The agricultural chemistry - principles of nourishment and fertilization of plants. PWN, Warszawa. (in Polish).
- Hinck, M.L., Ferguson, J. & Puhaakka, J. (1997). Resistance of EDTA and DTPA to aerobic biodegradation, Wat. Sci. Tech. 35 (2 - 3), 25 - 31.
- Oviedo, C. & Rodriguez, J. (2003). EDTA: The chelating agent under environmental scrutiny, Quim. Nova. 26(6), 901 - 905.
- "EDTA on censorship" (1998). Przem Chem. 7, 279 - 280. (in Polish)
- Sykora, V. & Pitter, P. (2001). Biodegradability of ethylenediamine-based complexing agents and related compounds, Chemosphere. 44, 823 - 826.[PubMed]
- Safety Data Sheet Dissolvine AZ, According to EC-Directive 2001/58/EC, 2005.
- NTA - Questions and Answers (1990). Retrived April, 28, 2008, from
- Van Ginkel, C.G., Geerst, R. & Ngyuen, P.D. (2005). Biodegradation of L-glutamatediacetate by mixed cultures and an isolate, A.C.S. symposium series 910, 183 - 194.
- Safety Data Sheet Dissolvine GL-38. (2005). According to EC-Directive 2001/58/EC.
- Akzo Nobel introduce a new biodegradable chelating agent (2007, February). from
- Kilimiuk, E. & Łebkowska, M. (2003). Biotechnology in protection of environment. PWN, Warszawa. (in Polish).
- Polish Committee for Standardization. (1988). Polish Standard: The investigation of demand of oxygenic biodegradation of organic relationships in water environment in conditions of static test. PN-88/C-05561. Warszawa. (in Polish)
- Polish Committee for Standardization. (2001). Polish Standard: Water and sewages. Investigation of demand of oxygen and content organic carbon. Assessment of chemical demand of oxygen (ChZT) - method using of KMnO4. PN-EN ISO 8467:2001. Warszawa. (in Polish)
- Polish Committee for Standardization. (2006). Polish Standard: Water and sewages. Investigation of demand of oxygen and content organic carbon. Assessment of chemical demand of oxygen (ChZT) - method using of KCr2O7. PN-ISO 6060:2006. Warszawa. (in Polish).
Publication order reference