The effect of pH on the sorption of copper ions by alginates
Languages of publication
The effect of pH on copper ions sorption by alginates has been investigated. The granules of the sorbent obtained from sodium alginate (type DMF, manufactured by KELCO) have been applied. By using a new method of gelation a biosorbent containing from 11.3 to 20.3% mas. of alginate has been produced. Investigations have been carried out at a constant temperature of 25°C and the pH values ranging from 3 to 5. The obtained experimental results have been described by the Langmuir equation. It has been found that with the increasing pH of the solution the maximum biosorbent sorption capacity increased.
1 - 1 - 2008
3 - 4 - 2008
- Chen, J. & Yiacoumi, S. (1997). Biosorption of Metal Ions from Aqueous Solutions. Sep. Sci. Technol., 32, 51 - 69.[Crossref]
- Chen, J., Tendeyong, F. & Yiacoumi, S. (1997). Equilibrium and Kinetic Studies of Copper Ion Uptake by Calcium Alginate. Environ. Sci. Technol. 31, 1433 - 1439.[Crossref]
- Esposito, A., Paganelli, F. & Veglio, F. (2002). pH-related Equilibria Models for Biosorption in Single Metal Systems. Chem. Eng. Sci. 57, 307 - 313.[Crossref]
- Ibanez, J. P. & Umetsu, Y. (1999). Uptake of Copper from Extremely Dilute Solutions by Alginate Sorbent Material: an Alternative for Enviromental Control. Proceedings of Copper 99-Cobre 99 International Enviroment Conference. 388 - 397.
- Ibanez, J. P. & Umetsu, Y. (2000). Removal of Heavy Metal Ions by Using Alginate Beads. Proceedings V International Conference on Clean Technologies for the Mining Industry, Santiago-Chile. 49 - 58.
- Kratochvil, D. & Volesky, B. (1998). Biosorption of Cu from Ferruginous Wasterwater by Algal Biomass. Water Res. 32, 2760 - 2768.[Crossref]
- Veglio, F., Esposito, A. & Reverberi, A. P. (2002). Copper adsorption on calcium alginate beads: equilibrium pH-relatwed models. Hydrometallurgy 65, 43 - 57.[Crossref]
- Chen, J. P. & Peng J. (2000). Uptake of Toxic Metal Ions by Novel Calcium Alginate Beads. Adv. Environ. Res. 3, 439 - 449.
- Jang, L. K., Nguyen, D. & Geesey, G. G. (1995). Effect of pH on the Absorption of Cu(II) by Alginate Gel. Water Res. 29, 315 - 321.[Crossref]
- Jang, L. K., Nguyen, D. & Geesey, G. G. (1999). An Equilibrium Model for Absorption of Multiple Divalent Metals by Alginate Gel Under Acidic Conditions. Water Res. 33, 2826 - 2832.[Crossref]
Publication order reference