The influence of ozonation on the activated carbon adsorption of phenol and humic acid
Languages of publication
To study the influence of ozonation on the activated carbon adsorption, a model solution containing approximately 8 mg/dm3 of humic acid and approximately 1 mg/dm3 of phenol has been ozonated, and then adsorption kintetics and adsorption isotherm experiments have been performed. The applied ozone doses ranged from 1 to 3 mg O3/dm3, and a contact time was 1 min. In the adsorption experiments, the commercial activated carbon CWZ-30 (Gryfskand Sp. z o.o., Hajnówka, Poland) has been used. Phenol adsorption under equilibrium conditions was determined by the Freundlich isotherm equation, and the modified Freudlich isotherm equation has been employed for the determination of humic acid equilibrium adsorption. The applied oxidation conditions resulted in color, chemical oxygen demand (COD), total organic carbon (TOC) and UV254 absorbance removal, by 4 - 13%, 3 - 6%, 3 - 7%, respectively. After ozonation, phenol concentration decreased by 6 - 23%. These changes in the model solution did not affect the humic acid adsorption, however, they deteriorated phenol adsorption.
1 - 12 - 2007
30 - 1 - 2008
- Le Cloirec P., Brasquet C., Subrenat E.: Adsorption onto fibrous activated carbon: applications to water treatment, Energy and Fuels, 1997, 11, 331 - 336.
- Hermanowicz W., Dojlido J., Dożańska W., Koziorowski B., Zerbe J.: (Arkady) Physical and chemical examination of water and wastewater, Warszawa 1999 (in Polish).
- Pąprowicz J. T.: Ocena pylistych węgli aktywnych do usuwania fenoli z oczyszczanej wody. Węgiel aktywny w ochronie środowiska i przemyśle, 2004, 130 - 141.
- Mozia S., Tomaszewska M., Morawski A. W.: Application of an ozonation-adsorption-ultrafiltration system for surface water treatment, Desalination, 2006, 190, 308.
- Tomaszewska M., Seredyńska-Sobecka B., Antoniak M., Morawski A. W.: Oczyszczanie wody w układzie: ozonowanie i koagulacja, XVIII-th National, VI-th International Scientific and Technical Conference "Water Supply and Water Quality", Poznań, 6 - 8 September 2004.
- Polish Standard, PN-80/C04543.01. Water and wastewater. Tests for ozone content and ozone demand. Determination of ozone in water by colorimetric method with pyrophosphate- manganese complex and o-tolidyne (in Polish).
- Polish Standard, PN-85/C-0457802. Water and waste water. Test for chemical oxygen demand and organic carbon content. Determination of chemical oxygen demand (COD) by the permanganate method (in Polish).
- Polish Standard, PN-84/C-04572. Water and waste water. Determination of dissolved organic matter in water by ultraviolet spectrophotometry (in Polish).
- Cipparone L. A., Diehl A. C., Speitel Jr. G. E.: Ozonation and BDOC removal: effect on water quality, Journal American Water Works Association 89(2), 84 - 97, 1997.
- Kilduff J., Karanfil T., Weber W. J. Jr.: Competitive interactions among components of humic acids in granular activated carbon adsorption systems: effects on solution chemistry Environmental Science and Technology 30, 1344 - 1351 (1996).
- Coughlin R. W., Ezra F. S.: 1968. Role of surface acidity in the adsorption of organic pollutants on the surface of carbon, Environmental Science and Technology 2, 291 - 297.
Publication order reference