Physical characteristics of photon beam from a CLINAC-DBX single energy accelerator
Languages of publication
Commissioning beam data are treated as a reference and ultimately used by treatment planning systems, therefore, it is vitally important that the collected data are of the highest quality, in order to avoid dosimetric and patient treatment errors that may subsequently lead to a poor radiation outcome. High-energy photon and electron beams from different accelerators of the same nominal energy may have different dosimetric characteristics due to differences in target and flattening filter materials, accelerator guide and collimator designs. In the present study, clinically pertinent data for the available photon energy were investigated. For making measurements in water, first time in India, a three dimensional radiation field analyzer RFA (CRS- Scan -O-Plan) was used. For absolute dosimetry and other measurements like relative output factors, wedge factors etc., a DOSE1 electrometer (Scanditronix Wellhofer) in a white polystyrene was employed. All the measured data were utilized as an input to the ECLIPSE treatment planning system for further clinical use.
1 - 1 - 2011
20 - 3 - 2012
- AAPM Task Group 25: Clinical electron beam dosimetry. Med. Phys. 1991;18:73-109,.
- Almond P. R. Proc. of the symposium on electron beam therapy, Sloan-Kettering, Ny. 43-53, 1981.
- Barnes WH, Hammond DB, Janik GG. Beam characteristics of the Clinac-2500. Proceedings of the 9th Varian users meeting, South Carolina. 1982; 36-39.
- Brahme A., Svensson H. Specification of electron beam quality form central-axis depth absorbed-dose distribution. Med. Phys. 1976;3: 95-102.[Crossref]
- Central axis depth dose data for use in Radiotherapy. British Journal of radiotherapy. 1983; 17(suppl).
- Findley DO, Forrel BW, Wong PS. Dosimetry of a dual photon energy linear accelerator. Med. Phys. 1987; 14: 270-273.[Crossref]
- Hortan JL. dosimetry of the Siemens Mevatron linear accelerator. Int. Jr. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phy. 1983; 9: 1217-1223.[Crossref]
- Ikoro NC, Johnson DA, Antich PP. Characteristics of the 6MV photon beams produced by a dual energy linear accelerator. Med. Phys. 1987; 14: 93-97.[Crossref]
- International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements (ICRU). Report No. 35. ICRU Publication. Bethesda. MD: 1984.
- International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements (ICRU). Report No. 21. ICRU Publication. Bethesda. MD: 1972.
- International Electrotechnical Commission, Report 35-I and 35-II, Medical electrical equipment, Medical Electron Accelerator, Section IV: Functional performance characteristics and report, 1984
- Leung PMK. The physical basis of radiotherapy. Lecture Notes. Ontario cancer institute Publication. 1978; P-17
- Milan J. and Bentley R. Br. J. Radial 47: 115, 1974.
- NACP: Procedure in external radiation therapy dosimetry with electron and photon beam with maximum energies between 1 and 50 MeV. Act a Radiol. Onc. 19: 55-77, 1980.
- Palta JR, Ayyankar K, et al. Characteristics of photon beams from Philips-SL25 linear accelerator. Med. Phys. 1990; 17: 106-116.
- Radiation oncology physics: a handbook for teachers and students, IAEA, Vienna, 2005; 196-197.
- Sharma A. K., Supe S. S., Anantha N., et al. Physical characteristics of photon and electron beams from a dual energy accelerator. Med. Phys 20: 55-66, 1995.
Publication order reference