Dosimetric comparison of three dimensional conformal radiotherapy and intensity modulated radiotherapy in high grade gliomas
Languages of publication
Treatment of high-grade gliomas continues to be frustrating for the clinician as the medial survival stands at a dismal 14.5 months for glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) with the current standard of care. Given the high dose and generous margins required to be irradiated, three dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3DCRT) has become standard practice. Radiation dose escalation beyond 60 Gy, by means of stereotactic or intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) boost, has not yielded clinically significant benefits in terms of local control or survival. At the same time, the potential of IMRT to spare normal tissues such as the brain stem and the optic apparatus makes it an attractive tool for modern radiation oncologists in seeking to improve post-radiotherapy quality of life. At our centre, we have been treating a large number of cases of high grade glioma with 3DCRT and IMRT for the last several years. The present study has been an effort to understand any potential benefits that IMRT, even without dose escalation, can offer.
1 - 1 - 2011
15 - 2 - 2012
- Stupp R, Mason WP, van den Bent MJ. Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolamide in glioblastoma. N Eng J Med (2005); 352;10: 987-996.
- Shaw EG, Steiber V, Tatter S, et al. A phase I dose escalating study of intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) for the treatment of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)[abstract]. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (2002); 54:206.
- Lee N, Xiz P, Fischbein NJ, et al. Intensity-moduated radiation therapy for head-and-neck cancer: The UCSF experience focusing on target volume delineation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (2003); 57;49-60.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Zelefsky MJ, Fuks Z, Hunt M, et al. High-dose intensity modulated radiation therapy for prostate cancer: Early toxicity and biochemical outcome in 772 patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (2002); 53:1111-1116.[PubMed]
- Bolsi A, Fogliata A, Cozzi L. Radiotherapy of small intracranial tumours with difference advanced techniques using photon and proton beams: A treatment planning study. Radiother Oncol (2003); 68:1-14.
- Paddick I. A simple scoring ratio to index the conformity of radiosurgical treatment plans. Technical note. J Neurosurg (2000) Dec;93 Suppl 3:219-22.[PubMed]
- Narayan A, Yamada J, Berry S, et al. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy in high-grade gliomas: Clinical and Dosimetric Results. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (2006) 64;3:892-97.[Crossref]
- Hermanto U, Frija EK, Lii M-FJ. Intensity- modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) and conventional three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for high-grade gliomas: Does IMRT increase the integral dose to the normal brain? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys (2007) 67;4:1135-1144.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Chan MF, Schupak K, Burman C, et al. Comparison of intensity modulated radiotherapy with three-dimensional conformal radiation planning for glioblastoma multiformae. Medical Dosimetry (2003) 28;4:261-265.[Crossref]
- MacDonald SM, Ahamad S, Kachris S. Intensity modulated radiotherapy versus three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy for the treatment of high grade glioma: a dosimetric comparison. J of Applied Med Phys (2007) 8;2: 47-60.
- Iuchi T, Hatano K, Narita Y, et al. Hypofractionated high-dose irradiation for the treatment of malignant astrocytomas using simultaneous integrated boost technique by IMRT. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 64:1317-1324.[PubMed]
- Panet-Raymond V, Souhami L, Roberge D, et al. Accelerated hypofractionated intensity-modulated radiotherapy with concurrent and adjuvant temozolomide for patients with glioblastoma multiforme: A safety and efficacy analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 73:473-478.
Publication order reference