Identification of the effects of peripheral nerves injury on the muscle control - A review
Languages of publication
Impairment of motor function following peripheral nerve injury is a serious clinical problem. Generally nerve injury leads to erroneous control of muscle activity that results in gait and voluntary movement abnormalities followed by muscle atrophy. This article presents a review of studies on the effects of peripheral nerve injury on the motor system performed on animal models. We focused our attention on the results that are fundamental for better understanding of the degenerative and regenerative processes induced by nerve injury as well as of the mechanisms of structural changes in neuronal networks controlling movement. Quoted results are also important for clinical applications because they allow to develop new diagnostic and therapeutic techniques that can be used after nerve injury inducing motor deficits. However, till now no efficient therapy inducing satisfactory recovery was found. There is still a need to continue an advanced basic research directed to develop effective therapies. Thus the aim of this review is to compare the results of recent studies performed on various animal models in order to propose new methods for identification of mechanisms responsible for muscle deficits and propose targets for new pharmacological therapies.
1 - 1 - 2011
7 - 2 - 2012
- Alvarez FJ, Bullinger KL, Titus HE, Nardelli P, and Cope TC. Permanent reorganization of Ia afferent synapses on motoneurons after peripheral nerve injuries. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1198:231-241.
- Amado S, Armada-da-Silva PAS, João F, Ana C. Maurício AC, Luís AL, Simöes MJ, Veloso AP. The sensitivity of two-dimensional hindlimb joint kinematics analysis in assessing functional recovery in rats after sciatic nerve crush. Beh Brain Res. 2011; 225:562-573.
- Basso DM, Beattie MS, Bresnahan JC. A sensitive and reliable locomotor rating scale for open field testing in rats. J Neurotrauma. 1995;12:1-21.
- Bozkurt A, Deumens R, Scheffel J, O'Dey DM, Weisb J, Joosten EA, Führmann T, Brook GA, Pallua N. CatWalk gait analysis in assessment of functional recovery after sciatic nerve injury. J of Neurosci Meth. 2008;173:91-98.
- Bozkurt A, Scheffel J, Brook GA, Joosten EA, Suschek CV, O'Dey, DM, Pallua N, Deumens R. Aspects of static and dynamic motor function in peripheral nerve regeneration: SSI and CatWalk gait analysis. Beh Brain Res. 2011;219:55-62.
- Cabaj AM, Urszula Slawinska U. Riluzole treatment reduces motoneuron death induced by axotomy in newborn rats. J of Neurotrauma. 2011; Accepted.[WoS]
- Copray JCVM and Brouwer N. Neurotrophin-3 mRNA expression in rat intrafusal muscle fibres after denervatin and reinervation. Neurosci Letters. 1997;236:41-44.
- Gramsbergen A, Ijkema-Paassen J, and Meek MF. Sciatic nerve transection in the adult rat: abnormal EMG patterns during locomotion by aberrant innervation of hindleg muscles. Expl Neurol. 2000;161:183-193.
- Hnik P, Zelena J. Atypical spindles in reinnervated rat muscles. J. Embryol Exp Morph. 1961;9:456-467.
- Lowrie MB and Vrbova G. Dependance of postnatal motoneurones on their targets: review and hypotheses. Trends Neurol Sci. 1992;15:80-84.
- Navarrete R and Vrbová G. Differential effect of nerve injury at birth on the activity pattern of reinnervated slow and fast muscles of the rat. J Physiol. 1984;351:675-685.
- Prather JF, Nardelli P, Nakanishi ST, Ross KT, Nichols TR, Pinter MJ, Cope TC. Recovery of proprioceptive feedback from nerve crush. J Physiol. 2011;589.20:4935-47.[WoS]
- de Ruiter GCW, Martijn J. A. Malessy MJA, Alaid AO, Spinner RJ, Engelstad JaNK, Sorenson EJ, Kaufman KR., Dyck PJ, Windebank AJ. Misdirection of regenerating motor axons after nerveinjury and repair in the rat sciatic nerve model. Exp Neurol. 2008;211:339-350.[WoS]
- Sabatier MJ, To BN, Nicolini J, English AW. Effect of slope and sciatic nerve injury on ankle muscle recruitment and hindlimb kinematics during walking in the rat. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:1007-1016.[WoS]
- Schiaveto de Souza A, da Silva CA, Del Bel EA. Methodological evaluation to analyze functional recovery after sciatic nerve injury. J Neurotrauma. 2004;21:627-635.
- Slawinska U, Navarette R, Kasicki S, Vrbova G. Motor activity patterns in rat soleus muscle after neonatal patial denervation. Neuromusc Disord. 1995;5:179-186.
- Slawinska U, Tyc F, Kasicki S, Navarrete R, Vrbová G. Time course of changes in EMG activity of fast muscles after partial denervation. Exp Brain Res. 1998;120:193-201.
- Tandrup T, Woolf CJ and Coggeshall RE. Delayed loss of small dorsal root ganglion cells after transection of the rat sciatic nerve. J Comp Neurol. 2000;422:172-180.
- Taylor MD, Holdeman AS, Weltmer SG, Ryals JM, Wright DE. Modulation of muscle spindle innervation by neurotrophin-3 following nerve injury. Exp Neurol. 2005;191:211-22.
- Tyc F, Slawinska U, Vrbová G. The age dependent effect of partial denervation of rat fast muscles on their activity. Acta Neobiol Exp (Warsaw). 1999;55:105-114.
- Valero-Cabre A, Navarro X. H reflex restitution and facilitation after different types of peripheral nerve injury and repair. Brain Res. 2001;919:302-312.
- Varejão AS, Melo-Pinto P, Meek MF, Filipe VM, Bulas-Cruz J. Methods for the experimental functional assessment of rat sciatic nerve regeneration. Neurol Res. 2004;26:186-194.
- Vejsada, R., Hnik P, Navarrete R, Palecek J, Soukup T, Borecka U, and Payne R. Motor functions in rat hindlimb muscles following neonatal sciatic nerve crush. Neuroscience. 1991;40:267-275.
- Walkerr JL, Evans JM, Meade P, Resig P, Sisken BF. Gait-stance duration as a measure of injury and recovery in the rat sciatic nerve model. J Neurosci Meth. 1994;52:47-52.
- Wood MD, Kemp WP, Weber C, Borschel GH, Gordon T. Outcome measures of peripheral nerve regeneration. Annals of Anatomy. 2011,193:321-333.
- Wright DE, Williams JM, McDonald JT, Carlsten JA, Taylor MD. Muscle-derived Neurotrophin-3 reduces injury-induced proprioceptive degeneration in neonatal mice. J Neurobiol. 2002;50:198-208.
- Zelena J and Hnik P. Motor and receptor units in the soleus muscle after nerve regeneration in very young rats. Physiol Bohemoslov. 1963;12:277-290.
- Zelena J. Nerves and Mechanoreceptors: The role of innervation in the development and maintenance of mammalian mechanorecptors. 1994, Chapman and Hall London.
Publication order reference