Evaluation of phoneme perception based on the digitalized phoneme test in children with cochlear implants
Languages of publication
Early diagnosis of congenital defect of hearing poses new challenges for a multidisciplinary team of pedoaudiologists, ENT (ear-nose-throat) specialists and speech therapists. This study assessed the perception of phonemes in children with a cochlear implant and the possibilities of applying acoustical solutions in the audiologic evaluation. The participants were 17 implanted children, aged 5-9 years, who received a cochlear implant when they were from 18 months to 3 years old. Detection thresholds and discrimination score were assessed. This study also aimed at verifying the possibilities of applying the digital audioprocessing algorithm in clinical practice. The test based on the phonemes aa, uu, ii, ss, sh (Ling 5 sound test) was used. The test was modified in the frequency domain - the main aim of this modification was to improve the precision of the reconstruction of the audible threshold. The results indicated significant correlations between pure tone audiometry results and thresholds of phoneme detection [dB SPL]. The identification score in this group was 95-100% for sound pressure level 65 dB SPL.
1 - 1 - 2009
22 - 9 - 2010
- Erber N. Auditory training Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf. Washington DC 1982.
- Gravel JS. Behavioural Audiologic Assessment. In: Paediatric Otology and Neurology. Lalwani A., Grundfast K. (Eds.). Lippencott-Raven Publishers. Philadelphia 1998, 103-12.
- Jerger J, Hayes D. The crosscheck principle in pediatric audiometer. Arch Otolaryngol. 1976; 102: 614-20.[Crossref]
- Ling D. Speech and the hearing-impaired child: Theory and practice. Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf, 1976.
- Ling D. Foundations of spoken language for the hearing-impaired child. Washington, DC: Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf, 1989.
- Pruszewicz A. [An outline of clinical audiology]. Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Science Press, Poznan, 2002. Polish.
- Stieler O. Investigation on relationship between the subjective and objective response of auditory pathway in children with cochlear implant. Polish J Environ Stud. 2006; 15(4A): 103-105.
- Stieler O, Sekula A, Komar D. Application of Sound Engineering in Detection Tests for Children below the Age 3 Annual Meeting of American Auditory Society, Scottsdale, Arizona, 2008.
- ISO 8253. Acoustics-Audiometric Test Methods. Sound field audiometry with pure tone and narrow-band test signals. Geneva: International Organization for Standardization, 1996.
Publication order reference