A virtual model of the patient's head for BNCT
Languages of publication
The aim of the present work was creating a virtual phantom of a human head for BNCT, as a part of the BNCT programme project. This model is an amplification of the simple model described in earlier publications. It takes into account the major head organs as well as the scalp and skull. The chemical composition of all tissues was modelled according to the recommendations of the ICRP. The organs were parameterized using mathematical formulas based on the human head magnetic resonance images. The model was used for calculating the thermal neutron flux and the injuring (fast neutron, nitrogen and gamma) dose components for the head irradiated using the therapeutic neutron beam, whose parameters were obtained as the result of the modelling of the filter/moderator system for the BNCT therapeutic beam from the MARIA reactor.
1 - 1 - 2009
22 - 9 - 2010
- ICRU, Tissue Substitutes in Radiation Dosimetry and Measurement, ICRU Report No. 44, 1989
- Pytel K, Andrzejewski K, Owsianko I, Golnik N. A concept of the facility for Boron Neutron Capture therapy in MARIA reactor in Swierk. Recent Development and Applications of Nuclear Technologies, Bialowieza.
- Tyminska K. Monte Carlo calculations of selected dose components in a head model for boron neutron capture therapy. Pol J Med Phys Eng 2007; 13(3): 127-137.
- Tyminska K. Monte Carlo calculations of epithermal and fast neutron dose in a human head model for boron neutron capture therapy. Pol J Med Phys Eng 2008; 14(2): 79-85.
- K. Tyminska. Filter/moderator system for a BNCT beam of epithermal neutrons at nuclear reactor MARIA. Pol J Med Phys Eng. Forthcoming 2009.
Publication order reference