Free radicals in a conglomerate of peripheral blood with a spin trap investigated by the EPR method before and after angioplasty treatment
Languages of publication
The Electron Paramagnetic Resonance (EPR) was used to investigate free radicals in the peripheral blood of patients subjected to angioplasty treatment. To detect these free radicals, a nitrosobenzene spin trap was used in this experiment. The EPR spectra of the blood with a spin trap conglomerate was measured at room temperature and at 170 K. To confirm the kind of free radicals in the conglomerate blood-spin trap, simulation and quantum-chemical calculations were made, and the conglomerate spin trap with ascorbic acid was measured. Two different types of radicals, one at room temperature and the other in a frozen sample of blood, were found.
1 - 1 - 2008
29 - 12 - 2008
- Bergendi L, Benes L, Durackova Z, Ferencik M. Chemistry, Physiology and Pathology of Free Radicals. Life Sci. 1999; 65(18-19): 1865-1874.
- Biaglow JE, Jacobson B, Varnes M, Koch C. The oxidation of ascorbate by electron affinic drugs and carcinogens. Photochem Photobiol. 1978; 28(4-5): 869-876.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Bolli R. Oxygen-derived free radicals and myocardial reperfusion injury: An overview. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 1991; 5: 249-268.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Ferrari R, Ceconi C, Curello S, Alfieri O, Visioli O. Myocardial damage during ischemia and reperfusion. Eur Heart J. 1993; 14: 25-30.[PubMed]
- Garlick PB, Davies MJ, Hearse DJ, Slater TF. Direct detection of free radicals in the reperfused rat heart using electron spin resonance spectroscopy. Circul Res. 1987; 61: 757-760.
- Gonet B, Szmatloch E, Nowacka-Pietrzak M, Domanski L. Electron spin resonance spectroscopy for examination of human ischemic heart disease. Eur J Intern Med. 1999; 10: 214-217.[Crossref]
- Jacobson MD. Reactive oxygen species and programmed cell death. Trends Biochem Sci. 1996; 21(3): 83-86.[PubMed]
- Kerr ME, Bender CM, Monti EJ. An introduction to oxygen free radicals. Heart Lungs. 1996; 25(3): 200-209.[Crossref]
- Milam SB, Zardeneta G, Schmitz JP. Oxidative Stress and Degenerative Temporomandibular Joint Disease: A Proposed Hypothesis. J Oral Maxillofacial Surg. 1998; 56: 214-233.[PubMed]
- Mimic-Oka J, Simic DV, Simic TP. Free radicals in cardiovascular diseases. Med Biol. 1999; 6(1): 11-22.
- Mottley C, Kalyanaraman B, Mason RP. Spin Trapping Artifacts due to the Reduction of Nitroso Spin Traps. FEBS Letters. 1981; 130(1): 12-14.
- Owenius R, Engstrom M, Lindgren M, Huber M. Influence of Solvent Polarity and Hydrogen Bonding on the EPR Parameters of a Nitroxide Spin Label Studied by 9-GHz EPR Spectroscopy and DFT Calculations. J Phys Chem A. 2001; 105: 10967-10977.
- Polnaszek CF, Bruno GV, Freed JH. ESR line shapes in the slow-motional region: Anisotropic liquids. J Chem Phys. 1973; 58(8): 3185-3199.[Crossref]
- Starkopf J, Tamme K, Zilmer M, Talvik R, Samarutel J. The evidence of oxidative stress in cardiac and septic patients: a comparative study. Clin Chim Acta. 1997; 262: 77-88.
- Ytrehus K, Hegstad AC. Lipid peroxidation and membrane damage of heart. Acta Physiol Scand. 1991; S599: 81-91.
- Zweier JL, Flaherty JT, Weisfeldt ML. Direct measurement of free radical generation following reperfusion of ischemic myocardium. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1987; 84: 1404-1407.[Crossref]
- Zweier JL, Kuppusamy P, Williams R, Rayburn BK, Smith D, Weisfeldt ML, Flaherty JT. Measurement and Characterization of Postischemic Free Radical Generation in the Isolated Perfused Heart. J Biol Chem. 1989; 264(32): 18890-18895.
Publication order reference