Ionisation Chambers Containing Boron as Neutron Detectors in Mixed Radiation Fields
Languages of publication
The paper presents a newly designed ionisation chambers containing boron, operated in the initial recombination regime. The chambers were either filled with BF3 or the chamber electrodes were covered with B4C. The chambers can be placed in paraffin moderators. The sensitivity of the chambers was investigated depending on gas pressure, moderator thickness and polarizing voltage. The results showed that it was possible to obtain nearly the same sensitivity of the chamber to H* (10) for photons and neutrons in restricted energy range, however further investigations are needed to make an optimum design. The examples of applications for dosimetric measurements in mixed radiation fields near medical linear accelerator and in the vicinity of high-energy proton accelerator are presented.
1 - 1 - 2007
30 - 12 - 2008
- Bakewicz E, Budzanowski A, Taraszkiewicz T. AIC-144 cyclotron: present status. Nukleonika 2003; 48(Suplement 2): 117-121.
- Bartlett DT, Tanner RJ, Tagziria H, Thomas DJ. Response characteristics of neutron survey instruments. 2002, NRPB-R333.
- Golnik N, Kamiński P, Zielczyński M. A measuring system with a recombination chamber for neutron dosimetry around medical accelerators. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 2004; 110: 271-276.
- Golnik N, Tulik P, Zielczyński M. Recombination methods for boron neutron capture therapy dosimetry. Report IAE 98/A 2003.
- Tulik P, Golnik N, Zielczyński M., Recombination chambers filled with different gases - studies of possible application for BNCT beam dosimetry. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 2004; 110: 827-831.
- Zielczyński M, Golnik N. Recombination Ionisation Chambers (in Polish), 2000, Świerk: Institute of Atomic Energy.
- Zielczyński M, Golnik N, Rusinowski Z. A computer controlled ambient dose equivalent meter based on a recombination chamber. Nucl Instr Meth, Phys Res A 1996; 370: 563-567.
Publication order reference