A Multiscale Entropy Analysis of Physiological and Malignant Breast Tissues Imaged by an Optical Polarimeter
Languages of publication
There are indications in the literature that polarimetric observations of neoplastic changes in biological tissues may support early diagnosis of cancer. In the present studies, samples of human breast tissue were observed in a polarized light. The images of healthy and malignant tissues were decomposed by a à trous wavelet algorithm. When a multiscale representation of tissue images is determined, their autocorrelation functions are also compared. A comparison of new observables, multiscale entropy and mean entropy vectors are presented. It was found that these observables might be considered as possible indicators of the malignant transformation in tissue.
1 - 1 - 2007
30 - 12 - 2008
- Angelsky OV. Polarization visualizing and biofractals correlometry. Proc Intern Conf Mechatronics 2000, Warsaw, 2000, 457-461.
- Dziedzic-Goclawska et al. Application of the optical Fourier transform for analysis of the spatial distribution of collagen fibers in normal and osteopetrotic bone tissue. Histochemistry 1982; 74: 123-137.
- Holschneider M et al. A real time algorithm for signal analysis with the help of the wavelet transform. In: Wavelets: Time-Frequency methods and Phase-Space. Springer-Verlag, p. 286-297, 1989.
- Jóźwicki R et al. Automatic polarimetric system for early medical diagnosis by biotissue testing. Optica Applicata 2002; 32(4): 603-612.
- Ostrowski K et al. Application of optical diffractometry in studies of cell fine structure. Histochemistry 1983; 78: 435-449.
- Rodatus A, Golnik N, Jóźwicki R, Palko T. Studies on automatic analysis of polarization images of tissues for early diagnosis of neoplastic transformation. Elektronika 2004; 45(8-9): 152-254.
- Soltysinski T, Rodatus A, Golnik N, Palko T. Comparison of multiscale entropy of healthy and cancer tissue imaged by optical polarimeter. IFMBE Proceedings, vol. 14, 2006.
- Starck J-L, Murtagh F. Astronomical image and data analysis. Berlin: Springer, 2002.
- Tuchin W. Biomedical optics. Proc SPIE 1884, 1993, 234-241.
- Ushenko AG. Correlation processing and wavelet analysis of polarization images of biological tissues. Optics and Spectroscopy 2001; 91(5): 773-778.[Crossref]
- Ushenko AG et al. Polarization microstructure of laser radiation scattered by optically active biotissues. Optics and Spectroscopy 1999; 87(3): 434-438.
Publication order reference