Mathematical Modelling of the Infusion Test
Languages of publication
The objective of this paper was to improve the well established in clinical practice Marmarou model for intracranial volume-pressure compensation by adding the pulsatile components. It was demonstrated that complicated pulsation and growth in intracranial pressure during infusion test could be successfully modeled by the relatively simple analytical expression derived in this paper. The CSF dynamics were tested in 25 patients with clinical symptoms of hydrocephalus. Basing on the frequency spectrum of the patient's baseline pressure and identified parameters of CSF dynamic, for each patient an "ideal" infusion test curve free from artefacts and slow waves was simulated. The degree of correlation between simulated and real curves obtained from clinical observations gave insight into the adequacy of assumptions of Marmarou model. The proposed method of infusion tests analysis designates more exactly the value of the reference pressure, which is usually treated as a secondary and of uncertain significance. The properly identified value of the reference pressure decides on the degree of pulsation amplitude growth during IT, as well as on the value of elastance coefficient. The artificially generated tests with various pulsation components were also applied to examine the correctness of the used algorithm of identification of the original Marmarou model parameters.
1 - 1 - 2007
30 - 12 - 2008
- Agarval G, Berman B, Stark L. A Lumped Parameter Model of the Cerebrospinal System IEEE Trans Biomed Eng BME 1969; 16: 45-53.[Crossref]
- Albeck MJ, Borgesen SE, Gjerris F, Schnidt JF, Sorensen PS. Intracranial pressure and cerebrospinal fluid outflow conductances in healthy subjects. J Neurourg 1991; 74: 597-600.
- Avezaat CJJ, Eijndhoven JHM. Cerebrospinal fluid pulse pressure and craniospinal dynamics. A theoretical, Clinical and experimental study (thesis) Hague: A Jongbloed en Zoon. (1984).
- Baleastri M, Czosnyka M, Steiner L A, Schmidt E, Smielewski P, Matta B, Pickard JD. Intracranial hypertension: what additional information can be derived from ICP waveform after head injury? Acta Neurochir. (Wien) 2004; 146: 131-141.[Crossref]
- Boon AJW, Tans JTh, Delwel EJ, Egeler-Peerdeman SM, Hermans J. The Dutch Normal-Pressure Hydrocephalus Study How to select patients for shunting? An analysis of four diagnostic criteria. Surg Neurol 2000; 53: 201-207.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Bearing HA. Choroid plexus and arterial pulsations of cerebrospinal fluid: demonstration of the choroid plexus as a cerebrospinal fluid pump. Arch. Neurol. Psychiatry 1955; 73: 165-173.
- Chop M, Portnoy HD. Systems analysis of intracranial pressure. J Neurosurgery 1980; 53: 516-527.
- Cieślicki K, Czepko R. Optimal use of the lumbar infusion test in patients with communicating hydrocephalus. Theoretical considerations in comparison to clinical observation. Neurol Neurochir Pol 2004; 38: 189-195.
- Cieślicki K, Czepko R, Libionka W. Comments on "Analysis of intracranial pressure during and after the infusion test in patients with communicating hydrocephalus". Physiol Meas 2006; 27: L5-L8.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Czosnyka M, Barorski L, Roszkowski M, et al. Cerebrospinal compensation in hydrocephalic children. Child's Nerv System 1993; 9: 17-22.
- Czosnyka M. Analiza dynamicznych procesów wewnątrzczaszkowej kompensacji objętościowej. Prace Naukowe "Elektronika" z. 111, Oficyna Wydawnicza PW, Warszawa (1996).
- Delwel EJ, de Jonge DA, Avezaat CJJ. The prognostic value of clinical characteristics and parameters of cerebrospinal fluid hydrodynamics in shunting for idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2005; 147: 1037-1043.[Crossref]
- Duros J, Nadvornik P. Investigation of cerebral blood circulation on computer model J Neurosurg Sc 1977; 21: 243-246.
- Giulioni M, Ursino M. Impact of cerebral perfusion pressure and autoregulation on intracranial dynamics: A modeling study. Neurosurgery 1996; 39: 1005-1015.[PubMed]
- Juniewicz H, Kasprowicz M, Czosnyka M, Czosnyka Z, Gilewski S, Dzik M and Piccard JD. Analysis of intracranial pressure during and after the infusion test in patients with communicating hydrocephalus. Physiol Meas 2005; 26: 1039-1048.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Lakin W, Stevans SA, Tranmer BI, Penar PL. A whole body mathematical model for intracranial pressure dynamics. J Math Biol 2003; 46: 347-383.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Marmarou A, Shulman K, Rosende RM. A nonlinear analysis of the cerebrospinal fluid system and intracranial pressure dynamics. J Neurosurg 1978; 48: 332-344.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Morgalla MH, Stumm F, Hesse G. A computer-based method for continous single pulse analysis of intracranial pressure waves J Neurol Sc 1999; 168: 90-95.[Crossref]
- Murphy GM. Ordinary Differential Equations and their Solutions. Van Nostrand Co Inc, New York (1960).
- Nelder JA, Mead R. A Simplex Method for Function Minimization. Computer J 1965; 7: 308-313.[Crossref]
- Piechnik S, Czosnyka M, Harris NG, Minhas PS, and Pickard JD. A model of the cerebral and CSF circulations to examine the asymmetry in cerebrovascular reactivity. J Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 2001; 21: 182-192.
- Sorek S, Bear J, Karni Z. A non-steady compartmental flow model of the cerebrovascular system. J Biomech 1988; 21: 695-704.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Sorek S, Bear J, Karni Z. Resistances and compliances of a compartmental model of the cerebrovascular system. Ann Biomed Eng 1989; 17: 1-12.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Schmidt B Scwartze JJ, Czosnyka M, Sander D, Wittich I, Klingelhoefer J. A method for a simulation of continuous intracranial pressure curves. Comput Biomed Res 1998; 31: 231-243.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Szewczykowski J, Śliwka S, Kunicki A, et.al. A fast method of estimating the elastance of the intracranial system. J Neurosurgery 1978; 47: 19-26.
- Takemae TY, Kosugi J, Ikebe Y, Kumagai K, Matsuyama N, Saito H. A Simulation Study of Intracranial Pressure Increment Using an Electrical Circuit Model of Cerebral Circulation IEEE Trans Biomed Eng (BME) 1987; 34: 958-962.[Crossref]
- Ursino M. A mathematical study of human intracranial hydrodynamics, Part I The cerebrospinal fluid pulse pressure. Ann Biomed Eng 1988; 16: 379-401.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Ursino M, Lodi CA. A simple mathematical model of the interaction between intracranial pressure and cerebral hemodynamics. J Appl Physiol 1997; 82: 1256-1269.[PubMed]
Publication order reference