Ascites with no fluid in Morison’s pouch?
Languages of publication
Omental cysts are the least common cystic lesions of the abdomen. Large intraabdominal cysts can mimic ascites. The incidence of 1 in 20000 pediatric hospital admissions makes them hard to diagnose. We report a three year-old boy with accidentally discovered intraperitoneal fluid collection on ultrasonography. The patient was scheduled for operative treatment with working diagnosis of ascites, but finding of no fluid in Morison’s pouch brought to massive cystic intraabdominal lesion as differential diagnosis. The cyst was emptied; altered parts of the greater omentum were completely excised. Final pathology confirmed lymphangioma. Explorative laparotomy led to correct diagnosis and proper surgical treatment.
1 - 8 - 2012
24 - 5 - 2012
-  Egozi EL, Ricketts RR. Mesenteric and omental cysts in children. Am Surg 1997;63(3):287–90 [PubMed]
-  Peterson EW. Mesenteric and Omental Cysts. Ann Surg 1932;96(3):340–349 http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00000658-193209000-00003[Crossref]
-  Grosfeld JL, O’Neill JA Jr, Fonkalsrud EW, Coran AG. Pediatric Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby; 2006. Chapter 89, Mesenteric and Omental Cysts, p. 1399
-  Joshi N, Yadav S, Singh B, Gupta A. Omental cyst presenting as tubercular ascites. J Infect Dev Ctries 2010;4(3):183–186 http://dx.doi.org/10.3855/jidc.314[Crossref]
-  Kumar S, Agrawal N, Khanna R, Khanna AK. Giant lymphatic cyst of omentum: a case report. Cases Journal 2009;2:23 http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1757-1626-2-23[Crossref]
-  Mohite PN, Bhatnagar AM, Parikh SN. A huge Omental Lymphangioma with extension into Labia Majorae: A case report. BMC Surgery 2006;6:18 http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2482-6-18[Crossref]
-  Klin B, Lotan G, Efrati Y, Vinograd I. Giant Omental Cyst in Children Presenting as Pseudoascites. Surgical Laparoscopy & Endoscopy 1997;7(4):291–293 http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00019509-199708000-00006[Crossref]
-  Fitoz S, Atasoy C, Ekim M, et al. Torsion of a Giant Omental Cyst Mimicking Ascites. J Clin Ultrasound 2007;35(2):85–87 http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcu.20248[Crossref][WoS]
-  Rahman GA, Abdulkadir AY, Olatoke SA, et al. Giant neoplastic omental cyst masquerading as ascites: a case report. Cases Journal 2009;2:6482 http://dx.doi.org/10.4076/1757-1626-2-6482[Crossref]
Publication order reference