Metabolic syndrome and its components in relation to brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity in middle-aged Taiwanese males
Languages of publication
To evaluate the association of The study is to evaluate the association of metabolic syndrome (MS) and its components on brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV), an indirect marker of subclinical atherosclerosis, in middle-aged Taiwanese males. A total of 442 men aged 40 to 65 years were included in this cross-sectional survey. Arterial stiffness was measured using a non-invasive method by baPWV. MS is defined by the presence of ≥ 3 components using the modified National Cholesterol Education Program criteria. The mean baPWV was 1478.6 and 1520.3 cm/sec in normal-weight and overweight adults, respectively. Age, systolic blood pressure (BP), diastolic BP, and fasting blood glucose (FBG) correlated with baPWV levels in normal-weight and overweight males. In multiple logistic regression analysis, after adjusting for potential confounders, MS and its components (such as high BP and high FBG) were significantly associated with abnormal baPWV (≥1400 cm/sec) (p < 0.001). MS and its components are significantly associated with abnormal baPWV in Taiwanese middle-aged males and in addition, high BP was the component of MS most significantly associated with abnormal baPWV.
1 - 12 - 2007
1 - 12 - 2007
- Department of Pathology, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
- Department of Strategy Planning and Administration, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
- School of Public Health, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
-  S.S. Gidding: “A perspective on obesity”, Am. J. Med. Sci., Vol. 310, (1995), pp. S68–71. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00000441-199512000-00012[Crossref]
-  W.B. Kannel, W.P. Castelli, P.M. McNamara, P.A. McKee and M. Feinleib: “Role of blood pressure in the development of congestive heart failure: The Framingham Heart Study”, N. Engl. J. Med., Vol. 287, (1972), pp. 781–787. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJM197210192871601[Crossref]
-  A. Taquet, C. Bonithon-Kopp, A. Simon, J. Levenson, Y. Scarabin, A. Malmejac, P. Ducimetiere and L. Guize: “Relations of cardiovascular risk factors to aortic pulse wave velocity in asymptomatic middle-aged women”, Eur. J. Epidemiol., Vol. 9, (1993), pp. 298–306. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF00146267[Crossref]
-  J. Amar, J.B. Ruidavets, B. Chamontin, L. Drouet and J. Ferrieres: “Arterial stiffness and cardiovascular risk factors in a population-based study”, J. Hypertens., Vol. 19, (2001), pp. 381–387. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004872-200103000-00005[Crossref]
-  R. Asmar, A. Rudnichi, J. Blacher, G.M. London and M.E. Safar: “Pulse pressure and aortic pulse wave are markers of cardiovascular risk in hypertensive populations”, Am. J. Hypertens., Vol. 14, (2001); pp. 91–97. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0895-7061(00)01232-2[Crossref]
-  S. Meaume, A. Rudnichi, A. Lynch, C. Bussy, C. Sebban, A. Benetos and M.E. Safar: “Aortic pulse wave velocity as a marker of cardiovascular disease in subjects over 70 years old”, J. Hypertens., Vol. 19, (2001), pp. 871–877. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004872-200105000-00006[Crossref]
-  E. Bonora, S. Kiechl, J. Willeit, F. Oberhollenzer, G. Egger, R.C. Bonadonna and M. Muggeo: “Carotid atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease in the metabolic syndrome: prospective data from the Bruneck study”, Diabetes Care, Vol. 26, (2003), pp. 1251–1257. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.4.1251[Crossref]
-  N. Nakanishi, K. Suzuki and K. Tatara: “Clustered features of the metabolic syndrome and the risk for increased aortic pulse wave velocity in middle-aged Japanese men”, Angiology, Vol. 54, (2003), pp. 551–559. [Crossref]
-  World Health Organization: Definition, Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus and Its Complications. Part1: Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Geneva, World Health Org., 1999.
-  Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III): “Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults”, JAMA, Vol. 285, (2001), pp. 2486–2497. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.285.19.2486[Crossref]
-  B. Isomaa, P. Almgren, T. Tuomi, B. Forsen, K. Lahti, M. Nissen, M.R. Taskinen and L. Groop: “Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality associated with the metabolic syndrome”, Diabetes Care, Vol. 24, (2001), pp. 683–689. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.24.4.683[Crossref]
-  N. Nakanishi, T. Shiraishi and M. Wada: “Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity and metabolic syndrome in a Japanese population: the Minoh study”, Hypertension Res., Vol. 28, (2005), pp. 125–131. http://dx.doi.org/10.1291/hypres.28.125[Crossref]
-  H. Tomiyama, Y. Koji, M. Yambe, K. Motobe, K. Shiina, Z. Gulnisa, Y. Yamamoto and A. Yamashina: “Elevated C-reactive protein augments increased arterial stiffness in subjects with the metabolic syndrome”, Hypertension, Vol. 45, (2005), pp. 997–1003. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000165018.63523.8a[Crossref]
-  Y. Saijo, E. Yoshioka, T. Fukui, M. Kawaharada and R. Kishi: “Metabolic syndrome, C-reactive protein and increased arterial stiffness in Japanese subjects”, Hypertension Res., Vol. 29, (2006), pp. 589–596. http://dx.doi.org/10.1291/hypres.29.589[Crossref]
-  E. Suzuki, A. Kashiwagi, Y. Nishio, K. Egawa, S. Shimizu, H. Maegawa, M. Haneda, H. Yasuda, S. Morikawa, T. Inubushi and R. Kikkawa: “Increased arterial wall stiffness limits flow volume in the lower extremities in type 2 diabetic patients”, Diabetes Care, Vol. 24, (2001), pp. 2107–2114. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.24.12.2107
-  K. Cruickshank, L. Riste, S.G. Anderson, J.S. Wright, G. Dunn and R.G. Gosling: “Aortic pulse-wave velocity and its relationship to mortality in diabetes and glucose intolerance: an integrated index of vascular function”, Circulation, Vol. 106, (2002), pp. 2085–2090. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000033824.02722.F7[Crossref]
-  H. Ohnishi, S. Saitoh, S. Takagi, J. Ohata, T. Isobe, Y. Kikuchi, H. Takeuchi and K. Shimamoto: “Pulse wave velocity as an indicator of atherosclerosis in impaired fasting glucose: the Tanno and Sobetsu study”, Diabetes Care, Vol. 26, (2003), pp. 437–440. http://dx.doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.2.437[Crossref]
-  H. Tomiyama, H. Hashimoto, Y. Hirayama, M. Yambe, J. Yamada, Y. Koji, K. Shiina, Y. Yamamoto and A. Yamashina: “Synergistic acceleration of arterial stiffening in the presence of raised blood pressure and raised plasma glucose”, Hypertension, Vol. 47, (2006), pp. 180–188. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.0000198539.34501.1a[Crossref]
-  J. Blacher, R. Asmar, S. Djane, G.M. London and M.E. Safar: “Aortic pulse wave velocity as a marker of cardiovascular risk in hypertensive patients”, Hypertension, Vol. 33, (1999), pp. 1111–1117. [Crossref]
-  A. Benetos, C. Adamopoulos, J.M. Bureau, M. Temmar, C. Labat, K. Bean, F. Thomas, B. Pannier, R. Asmar, M. Zureik, M. Safar and L. Guize: “Determinants of accelerated progression of arterial stiffness in normotensive subjects and in treated hypertensive subjects over a 6-year period”, Circulation, Vol. 105, (2002), pp. 1202–1207. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/hc1002.105135[Crossref]
-  J. Blacher, A.P. Guerin, B. Pannier, S.J. Marchais, M.E. Safar and G.M. London: “Impact of aortic stiffness on survival in end-stage renal disease”, Circulation, Vol. 99, (1999), pp. 2434–2439. [Crossref]
-  G.M. London, S.J. Marchais, M.E. Safar, A.F. Genest, A.P. Guerin, F. Metivier, K. Chedid and A.M. London: “Aortic and large compliance in end-stage renal failure”, Kidney Int., Vol. 37, (1990), pp. 137–142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/ki.1990.19[Crossref]
-  A. Andreoli, G. Melchiorri, A. De Lorenzo, I. Caruso, P. Sinibaldi Salimei and M. Guerrisi: “Bioelectrical impedance measures in different position and vs. dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA)”, J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitness, Vol. 42, (2002), pp. 186–189.
-  World Health Organization: Available from www.who.int/ncdsurveillance/steps/ riskfactors/en/fi Accessed 2 August 2003.
-  A. Yamashina, H. Tomiyama, K. Takeda, H. Tsuda, T. Arai, K. Hirose, Y. Koji, S. Hori and Y. Yamamoto: “Validity, reproducibility, and clinical significance of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurement”, Hypertension Res., Vol. 25, (2002), pp. 359–364. http://dx.doi.org/10.1291/hypres.25.359[Crossref]
-  International Diabetes Federation: The IDF consensus worldwide definition of the metabolic syndrome. Available from http://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/Metabolic syndrome definition.pdf. Accessed 10 September 2005.
-  A. Yamashina, H. Tomiyama, T. Arai, K. Hirose, Y. Koji, Y. Hirayama, Y. Yamamoto and S. Hori: “Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity as a marker of atherosclerotic vascular damage and cardiovascular risk”, Hypertension Res., Vol. 26, (2003), pp. 615–622. http://dx.doi.org/10.1291/hypres.26.615[Crossref]
-  C.E. Lebrun, Y.T. van der Schouw, A.A. Bak, F.H. de Jong, H.A. Pols, D.E. Grobbee, S.W. Lamberts and M.L. Bots: “Arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women: determinants of pulse wave velocity”, J. Hypertension, Vol. 20, (2002), pp. 2165–2172. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004872-200211000-00015[Crossref]
-  G.M. London, A.P. Guerin, B. Pannier, S.J. Marchais and M. Stimpel: “Influence of sex on arterial hemodynamics and blood pressure. Role of body height”, Hypertension, Vol. 26, (1995), pp. 514–519. [Crossref]
-  M. Trevisan, J. Liu, F.B. Bahsas and A. Menotti: “Syndrome X and mortality: a population-based study. Risk Factor and Life Expectancy Research Group”, Am. J. Epidemiol., Vol. 148, (1998), pp. 958–966.
-  I. Juhan-Vague and P. Vague: “Interrelations between carbohydrates, lipids, and the hemostatic system in relation to the risk of thrombotic and cardiovascular disease”, Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol., Vol. 163, (1990), pp. 313–315.
-  K.E. Airaksinen, P.I. Salmela, M.K. Linnaluoto, M.J. Ikaheimo, K. Ahola and L.J. Ryhanen: “Diminished arterial elasticity in diabetes: association with fluorescent advanced glycosylation end products in collagen”, Cardiovascular Research, Vol. 27, (1993), pp. 942–945. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/cvr/27.6.942[Crossref]
-  M.W. Rajzer, M. Klocek, K. Kawecka-Jaszcz, D. Czarnecka, W. Baran, K. Dudek and T. Petriczek: “Aortic pulse wave velocity in young normotensives with a family history of hypertension”, J. Hypertens., Vol. 17, (1999), pp. 1821–1824. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004872-199917121-00006[Crossref]
-  T. Kanda, E. Nakamura, T. Moritani and Y. Yamori: “Arterial pulse wave velocity and risk factors for peripheral vascular disease”, Eur. J. Appl. Physiol., Vol. 82, (2000), pp. 1–7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s004210050644[Crossref]
-  T.A. Lakka, R. Salonen, G.A. Kaplan and J.T. Salonen: “Blood pressure and the progression of carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged men”, Hypertension, Vol. 34, (1999), pp. 51–56. [Crossref]
-  A. Benetos, M. Safar, A. Rudnichi, H. Smulyan, J.L. Richard, P. Ducimetieere and L. Guize: “Pulse pressure: a predictor of long-term cardiovascular mortality in a French male population”, Hypertension, Vol. 30, (1997), pp. 1410–1415. [Crossref]
-  A. Benetos, A. Rudnichi, M. Safar and L. Guize: “Pulse pressure and cardiovascular mortality in normotensive and hypertensive subjects”, Hypertension, Vol. 32, (1998), pp. 560–564. [Crossref]
-  S.S. Franklin, S.A. Khan, N.D. Wong, M.G. Larson and D. Levy: “Is pulse pressure useful in predicting risk for coronary heart disease? The Framingham heart study”, Circulation, Vol. 100, (1999), pp. 354–360. [Crossref]
-  S. Laurent, P. Boutouyrie, R. Asmar, I. Gautier, B. Laloux, L. Guize, P. Ducimetiere and A. Benetos: “Aortic stiffness is an independent predictor of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in hypertensive patients”, Hypertension, Vol. 37, (2001), pp. 1236–1241. [Crossref]
Publication order reference