Sleep evaluation in the symptomatic episode of recurrent hypersomnia
Languages of publication
Recurrent hypersomnia (RH) is a rare disorder characterized by episodes of hypersomnia, variously accompanied by behavioural and cognitive disturbances, compulsive eating behaviour and hypersexuality. Electrophysiologic evaluation of the sleep during symptomatic and asymptomatic periods of RH distinguishes RH from other primary sleep or mental disorders. Unique polysomnographic findings during the hypersomniac attack lasting 96 hours in a 16-year-old boy affected with primary RH are presented in this paper.
1 - 9 - 2007
9 - 6 - 2007
-  American Academy of Sleep Medicine: The international Classification of Sleep Disorders-Revised, Hauri P, Chicago IL, 2005.
-  I. Arnulf, J.M. Zeitzer, J. File, N. Farber and E. Mignot “Kleine-Levin syndrome: a systematic review of 186 cases in the literature”, Brain, Vol. 128, (2005), pp. 2763–2776. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/brain/awh620[Crossref]
-  A.L. Chesson Jr, S.N. Levine, L.S. Kong and S.C. Lee “Neuroendokrine evaluation in Kleine-Levin syndrome: evidence of reduced dopaminergic tone during periods of hypersomnolence”, Sleep, Vol. 14, (1991), pp. 226–232.
-  Y. Dauvilliers, G. Mayer, M. Lecendreux, E. Neidhard, R. Peraita-Adrados, K. Sonka, M. Billiard and M. Tafti “Kleine-Levin syndrome. An autoimmune hypothesis based on clinical and genetic analyses”, Neurology, Vol. 59, (2002), pp. 1739–1745.
-  H. Yu-Shu, C. Guilleminault, K. Pan-Fu, L. Feng-Yuan “SPECT findings in the Kleine-Levin syndrome”, Sleep, Vol. 28, (2005), pp. 955–960.
-  A. Rechtschaffen and A. Kalles (Eds.) “A manual of standardized terminology. Techniques and scoring systems for sleep stages of human subjects”, UCLS Brain Information Service/ Brain Research Institute, Calif, 1968.
-  M.M. Mitler, M.A. Carskadon and M. Hiskowitz “Evaluating sleepiness”, In: M.H. Kryger, T. Roth and W.C. Dement (Eds.) Principles and practice of sleep medicine 3rd Ed., W.B Saunders com., Philadelphia, 2000, pp. 1251–1257.
-  F. Rosenov, P. Kotagal, B.H. Cohen, C. Green and E. Wyllie “Multiple sleep latency test and polysomnography in diagnosing Kleine-Levin syndrome and periodic hypersomnia”, J. Clin. Neurophysiol., Vol. 17, (2000), pp. 519–522. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004691-200009000-00012[Crossref]
-  R.J. Wilkus and J.A. Chiles “Electrophysiological changes during episodes of the Kleine-Levin syndrome”, J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry, Vol. 38, (1975), pp. 1225–1231. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.38.12.1225[Crossref]
-  P. Lavie, N. Gadoth, C.R. Gordon, G. Goldhammer and M. Bechar “Sleep patterns in Kleine-Levin syndrome”, Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol., Vol. 47, (1979), pp. 363–367.
Publication order reference