Quantitative determination of hexavalent chromium in aqueous solutions by UV-Vis spectrophotometer
Languages of publication
In the last decade, different methods have been developed for the determination of chromium(VI) concentration in water. These methods use high cost equipment or they require a long preparation time. Because of their drawbacks, this paper describes an on-line, rapid and sensitive procedure for the determination of Cr(VI) concentrations in aqueous solutions via pH and absorption measurements. Only four Cr(VI) species are considered. The effects of pH and of total amount of chromium on the Cr(VI) speciation are investigated. The molar absorptivities of four chromium species at 371 nm are determined by minimising an objective function. The knowledge of these molar absorptivities and the measurements of pH and absorption at 371 nm lead to a rapid determination of total Cr(VI) concentration. The reliability and applicability of the method were confirmed using synthetic water samples. [...]
1 - 12 - 2007
1 - 12 - 2007
-  S.H. Lin and C.D. Kiang: “Chromic acid recovery from waste acid solution by an ion exchange process: equilibrium and column ion exchange modelling”, Chem. Eng. J., Vol. 92, (2003), pp. 193–199. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1385-8947(02)00140-7[Crossref]
-  S. Reussard: Study of an electrochemical reactor using a change in pH: application for the recovery of chromium(VI) by electro-coagulation (Contribution à l’étude d’un réacteur électrochimique mettant en oeuvre une évolution de pH: application á l’épuration de solutions d’acide chromique par électrocoagulation, PhD thesis INPT France (2003).
-  M.C. Fournier-Salaün and C. Vauclair: “Recovery of chromic ions from aqueous effluents by liquid membrane in continuous mode”, Desalination, Vol. 144, (2002), pp. 227–229. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0011-9164(02)00316-8[Crossref]
-  P. Vinas, N. Campillo, I. Lopez-Garcia and M. Hernandez-Cordoba: “Electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometric determination of molybdenum, aluminium, chromium and manganese in milk”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 356, (1997), pp. 267–276. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(97)00553-9[Crossref]
-  A. Gaspar and J. Posta: “On-line sorption preconcentration of chromium(VI) and its determination by flame atomic absorption spectrometry”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 354, (1997), pp. 151–158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(97)00457-1[Crossref]
-  R.M. Crespon-Romero, M.C. Yebra-Biurrun and M.P. Bermejo-Barrera: “Preconcentration and speciation of chromium by the determination of total chromium and chromium (III) in natural waters by flame atomic absorption spectrometry with a chelating ion-exchange flow injection system”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 327, (1996), pp. 37–45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-2670(96)00062-1[Crossref]
-  D.T. Burns and M.D. Dunford: “Spectrophotometric determination of chromium(VI) by extraction of protriptylinium dichromate”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 319, (1996), pp. 205–207. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-2670(95)00474-2[Crossref]
-  D.T. Burns and C.D.F. Dangolle: “Spectrophotomeric determination of chromium(VI) by extraction of the dichromate anion into propylene carbonate”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 356, (1997), pp. 145–148. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(97)00456-X[Crossref]
-  S. Hoshi, K. Konuma, K. Sugawara, M. Uto and K. Akatsuka: “The simple and rapid spectrophotometric determination of trace chromium(VI) after preconcentration as its colored complex on chitin”, Talanta, Vol. 47, (1998), pp. 659–663. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0039-9140(98)00112-X[Crossref]
-  P. Gao, X. Gu and T. Zhou: “New separation method for chromium(VI) in water by collection of its ternary complex on an organic solvent-soluble membrane filter”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 332, (1996), pp. 307–312. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-2670(96)00233-4[Crossref]
-  M. Sikovec, M. Franko, F.G. Cruz and S.A. Katz: “Thermal lens spectrometric determination of hexavalent chromium”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 330, (1996), pp. 245–250. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-2670(96)00175-4[Crossref]
-  D.R. Lide: CRC Handbook of Physics and Chemistry, 84th ed., Academic Press, New York, 2003.
-  G. Charlot: Chemical reactions in solution (Les réactions chimiques en solution), Masson ed., 1970.
-  J.D. Neuss and W. Rieman: “The application of the glass electrode to a study of chromic acid”, J. Am. Chem. Soc., Vol. 56, (1934), pp. 2238–2243. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja01326a010[Crossref]
-  R.K. Tandon, P.T. Crisp, J. Ellis and R.S. Baker: “Effect of pH on chromium(VI) species in solution”, Talanta, Vol. 31, (1984), pp. 227–228. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0039-9140(84)80059-4[Crossref]
Publication order reference