Method validation in quantitative electrochemical analysis of colchicine using glassy carbon electrode
Languages of publication
A cathodic differential pulse voltammetric determination of colchicine was validated using a glassy carbon electrode in HClO4/H3PO4 0.01 M. Colchicine gives an irreversible, diffusion-controlled peak at −862 mV vs. Ag/AgCl reference electrode. The cathodic peak is strongly influenced by a more alkaline environment with a shift towards more negative potentials. Method optimization was carried out in parallel for three types of electrodes (glassy carbon, mercury film and bismuth film coated glassy carbon). The cathodic peak current is higher using film-coated electrodes, but shows poorer intra-day reproducibility and a longer analysis time due to film renewal. Thus, a bare glassy carbon electrode was used to determine colchicine in the concentration range of 2.4 − 50 μg mL−1 (R 2 = 0.9998, n = 5), with a calculated detection limit of 0.80 μg mL−1. The proposed method was characterized according to ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guidance Q2(R1) by validation parameters (selectivity, linearity, accuracy, fidelity, limit of detection, limit of quantification) and it was successfully applied for the determination of colchicine from tablets, without the interference of the excipients. The method’s performances were evaluated and compared with both a known polarographic method and the official quantitative spectrophotometric determination from the Romanian Pharmacopoeia, Xth edition, respectively. [...]
1 - 9 - 2007
1 - 9 - 2007
-  T.M. Sarg, M.M. El-Domiaty, M.M. Bishr, O.M. Salama and A.R. El-Gindy: “Thin-Layer Chromatographic Scanner, Spectrophotometric and High-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Methods for the Determination of Colchicine”, Analyst, Vol. 114, (1989), pp. 575–578. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/an9891400575[Crossref]
-  E. Bodoki, R. Oprean, L. Vlase, M. Tamas and R. Sandulescu: “Fast determination of colchicine by TLC-densitometry from pharmaceuticals and vegetal extracts”, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., Vol. 37, (2005), pp. 971–977. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2004.10.006[Crossref]
-  E. Ellington, J. Bastida, F. Viladomat and C. Codina: “Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of colchicine and related alkaloids from seeds of Colchicum autumnale L.”, Phytochem. Anal., Vol. 14, (2003), pp. 164–169. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pca.702[Crossref]
-  R.J. Ko, W. Yen Li and R.T. Koda: “Determination of the antimitotic agents N-desacetylcholchicine, demecolcine and colchicine in serum and urine”, J. Chromatogr. B. - Biomed. Appl., Vol. 525, (1990), pp. 411–418. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4347(00)83417-9[Crossref]
-  M. Lhermitte, J.L. Bernier and D. Mathieu: “Colchicine quantitation by high-performance liquid chromatography in human plasma and urine”, J. Chromatogr. B. - Biomed. Appl., Vol. 342, (1985), pp. 416–423. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4347(00)84537-5[Crossref]
-  A.E. Klein and P.J. Davis: “Determination of Colchicine and Colchiceine in Microbial Cultures by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography”, Anal. Chem., Vol. 52(14), (1980), pp. 2433–2435. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ac50064a048[Crossref]
-  G. Hamscher, B. Priess, H. Nau and E. Panariti: “Determination of colchicine residues in sheep serum and milk using high-performance liquid chromatography combined with electrospray ionization ion trap tandem mass spectrometry”, Anal. Chem., Vol. 77, (2005), pp. 2421–2425. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ac048668+[Crossref]
-  A. Tracqui, P. Kintz, B. Ludes, C. Rougé, H. Douibi and P. Mangin: “High-performance liquid chromatography coupled to ion spray mass spectrometry for the determination of colchicine at ppb levels in human biofluids”, J. Chromatogr. B, Vol. 675, (1996), pp. 235–242. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0378-4347(95)00386-X[Crossref]
-  H. Hoja, P. Marquet, B. Verneuil, H. Lotfi, J.L. Dupuy, M.F. Dreyfuss and G. Lachâtre: “Determination of colchicine in biological fluids by liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry with pneumatically assisted electrospray ionization”, Analusis, Vol. 24, (1996), pp. 391–394.
-  E.A. Kasim: “Voltammetric behavior of the anti-inflammatory alkaloid colchicine at a glassy carbon electrode and a hanging mercury electrode and its determination at ppb levels”, Anal. Lett., Vol. 35(12), (2002), pp. 1987–2004. http://dx.doi.org/10.1081/AL-120014288[Crossref]
-  J. Wang and M. Ozsoz: “Trace measurements of colchicine by adsorbtive stripping voltammetry”, Talanta, Vol. 37(8), (1990), pp. 783–787. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0039-9140(90)80119-Z[Crossref]
-  E.A. Hutton, B. Ogorevc, S.B. Hočevar, F. Weldon, M.R. Smyth and J. Wang: “An introduction to bismuth film electrode for use in cathodic electrochemical detection”, Electrochem. Commun., Vol. 3, (2001), pp. 707–711. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1388-2481(01)00240-5[Crossref]
-  E. Bishop and W. Hussein: “Anodic voltammetry of colchicine”, Analyst, Vol. 109, (1984), pp. 623–625. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/an9840900623[Crossref]
-  H. Zhang: “Electrochemistry and voltammetric determination of colchicine using an acetylene black-dihexadecyl hydrogen phosphate composite film modified glassy carbon electrode”, Bioelectrochem., Vol. 68(2), (2006), pp. 197–201. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bioelechem.2005.07.001[Crossref]
-  ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R1), Current Step 4 version, November 2005, International Conference on Harmanisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA417.pdf.
-  “Romanian Pharmacopoeia”, Xth ed., Editura Medicală, Bucureşti, 1998.
Publication order reference