Uncertainty of nitrate and sulphate measured by ion chromatography in wastewater samples
Languages of publication
This paper presents an evaluation of measurement uncertainty regarding the results of anion (nitrate and sulphate) concentrations in wastewater. Anions were determined by ion chromatography (EN ISO 10304-2, 1996). The major sources of uncertainty regarding the measurements’ results were identified as contributions to linear least - square or weighted regression lines, precision, trueness, storage conditions, and sampling. Determination of anions in wastewater is very important for the purification procedure, especially the amount of nitrate in waste and potable waters. The determined expanded uncertainty was 6.1 % for nitrate anions and 8.3 % for sulphate anions. The difference between measurement uncertainties determined by the two methods, the weighted and linear least - square methods, is negligible. [...]
1 - 6 - 2007
20 - 1 - 2007
-  R. Mosello, G.A. Tartari, A. Marchetto, S. Polesello, M. Bianchi and H. Muntau: “Ion chromatography performances evaluated from the third AQUACON freshwater analysis interlaboratory exercise”, Accred. Qual. Assur., (2004), Vol. 9(4-5), pp. 242–246. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00769-004-0759-4[Crossref]
-  European Standard EN ISO 10304-2: 1996, Water quality-Determination of dissolved anions by liquid chromatography of ions-Part 2: Determination of bromide, chloride, nitrate, nitrite, orthophosphate and sulphate in waste water (ISO 10304-2: 1995), International Organization for Standardization, Geneve.
-  Dionex: DX-100 Ion Chromatograph with SRS Control Operators Manual, 1996.
-  J.N. Miller and J.C. Miller: Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry, Pearson, England, 2000.
-  G.A. Tartari, A. Marchetto and R. Mosello: “Precision and linearrity of inorganic analyses by ion chromatography”, J. Chromatogr. A, Vol. 706, (1995), pp. 21–29. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(94)01222-Z[Crossref]
-  V.J. Barwick, S.L.R. Ellison: VAM project 3.2.1, Development and Harmonisation of Measurement Uncertainty Principles, Part (d): Protocol for uncertainty evaluation from validation data, 2000.
-  S.L.R. Ellison, M. Rosslein and A. Williams: Quantifying Uncertainty in Analytical Measurement; EURACHEM/CITAC, 2000.
-  EUROLAB Technical Secretariat, Measurement Uncertainty in Testing, Technical Report No. 1/2002, Germany, 2002.
-  International Standard ISO 5667-14:1999, Water quality-Sampling-Part 14: Guidance on quality assurance of environmental water sampling and handling, International Organization for Standardization, Geneve.
-  European Standard EN ISO/IEC 17025: 2005, General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
Publication order reference