Study of flocculation with PONILIT GT-2 anionic polyelectrolyte applied into a chemical wastewater treatment
Languages of publication
This paper discusses the applications of synthetic PONILIT GT-2 anionic polyelectrolyte in conjuction with ferric sulfate in a chemical wastewater treatment viz. wastewater from ceramics manufacturing. Synthetic wastewaters with different colloid concentrations were prepared and the coagulation-flocculation process followed by sedimentation and/or filtration was studied. Variables associated with the chemical wastewater composition, mixing time, and the coagulant and flocculant dose are considered in order to appreciate the process efficiency in terms of turbidity, chemical oxygen demand (COD), and color removal. The degrees are higher for turbidity and color (> 80 %) removal respectively, and, satisfactory for COD (3 type, considering ferric sulfate dose, polyelectrolyte dose, and mixing time as independent variables, while the turbidity and color removal efficiencies were chosen as optimization criteria. The empirical model was found adequate for the chemical wastewater treatment. Also, an analysis of the model was performed to find the optimal operating conditions, in order to apply this process for an efficient chemical wastewater treatment using ferric sulfate as coagulation agent and PONILIT GT-2 anionic polyelectrolyte as flocculation agent. The optimal values correspond to a ferric ions concentration of 6.093 mg/L, a polyelectrolyte dose of 0.651 mg/L, and a mixing time of 24.024 minutes for turbidity removal (95.869 %), respectively, and, to a ferric ions concentration of 6.01 mg/L, a polyelectrolyte dose of 0.69 mg/L, and a mixing time of 26 minutes for color removal (98.741 %). [...]
1 - 3 - 2007
1 - 3 - 2007
- Department of Environmental Engineering and Management, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Iasi, 700050, Iasi, Romania, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Iasi, 700050, Iasi, Romania
- Department of Environmental Engineering and Management, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Technical University of Iasi, 700050, Iasi, Romania
-  S. Akhnazarova and V. Kafarov: Experiment Optimization in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Mir Publishers, Moscow, 1982.
-  B.F. Bolto: “Polymeric flocculants in water purification,” Water Chemistry Supplement, Vol. 24, 27, (1994), pp. 431–434.
-  I. Curievici: Optimizations into chemical engineering, Didactical and Pedagogical Press, Bucuresti, 1980.
-  A. Gluck: Mathematical Methods into the Chemistry Industry. Elements of Optimization, Tehnică Press, Bucureşti, 1971.
-  J. Gregory: Industrial Water Soluble Polymers, C.A. Finch (Ed.), Royal Society of Chemistry, U.K., 1996.
-  Guide Manual: Guide Manual for DRELL Spectrophotometer, Hach Company, Loveland, Colorado, USA, 1993.
-  E.J. Haller: Simplified wastewater treatment plant operations, Technomic Publishing Co., Lancaster-Basel, USA, 1995.
-  M. Macoveanu and V. Nicu: Basis of Chemical Technology. Methodology of Mathematical Modeling into the Chemical Industry, Rotaprint Press, Iaşi, 1987.
-  M. Negulescu: Municipal Wastewater treatment, Elsevier Inc., Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1985.
-  H. Ødegaard: “Particle separation in wastewater treatment”, In: Proceeding of 7 th European Sewage and Refuse Symposium, Munich, 19–22 may 1987, 1987, p. 351–400.
-  RO Patent no.78501: Ponilit GT-2 anionic polyelectrolyte, 1981.
-  E.J. Schroeder: Water and Wastewater Treatment, McGraw-Hill Inc., USA, 1977.
-  STAS: Romanian Standard No.6332/1996 - Water quality. Determination of the total iron content. Spectrophotometric method with 1,10 phenantroline, 1996b.
-  M. Surpăţeanu and C. Zaharia: ABC - Analysis methods for quality of environmental factors, T Press, Iaşi, 2002.
-  L. Taloi: Process Optimization from Metallurgy, Technică Press, Bucureşti, 1987.
-  A.J. van Lungen, H. Schell, M. Berger, M. Drikas, D. Bursill, C. Chow and J. Closen: “Comparison of coagulant doses determined using a charge titration unit with a Jar test procedure for eight German surface waters”, J. Water STR - Aqua, Vol. 46(5), (1997), p. 261–273.
-  C. Zaharia: Optimization of some wastewaters treatment using polyelectrolytes, Ph.D. Thesis, Technical University of Iasi, Romania, 2000.
-  C. Zaharia: Chemical wastewater treatment, Performantica Press, Iasi, 2006.
-  C. Zaharia and M. Macoveanu: “Types of polyelectrolytes used as flocculation agents”, The Environment, Vol. 5(1), (1994), pp. 17–23.
-  C. Zaharia and M. Macoveanu: “Separation of some heavy metal ions from wastewaters using polyelectrolytes”, Scientific Annals of “Al.I.Cuza” University Iasi, series Chemistry, Vl. 8(1), (2000), pp. 199–206.
-  C. Zaharia and M. Surpateanu: “Study of flocculation with Prodefloc CRC 301 polyelectrolyte applied into a chemical wastewater treatment”, Ovidius University Annals of Chemistry, Vol. 17(1), (2006), pp. 50–53.
-  C. Zaharia, M. Surpăţeanu and M. Macoveanu: “The mathematical optimization of the advanced treatment of some wastewaters based on active carbon adsorption in the presence of polyelectrolyte (II)”, Bull. Inst. Polytech. Iaşi, series Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Vol. XLVIII(LII), 3–4, (2002), pp. 101–114.
Publication order reference