Simultaneous determination of fluoride and monofluorophosphate in toothpastes by supressed ion chromatography
Languages of publication
Suppressed ion chromatography with a highly selective and high capacity anion-exchange column is used for the determination of anionic compounds in ten commercially available toothpastes. Minimal sample preparation is needed, requiring only dilution and filtration over a solid-phase extraction cartridge. Quantitative analysis of fluoride and monofluorophosphate, as well as chloride, nitrate, orthophosphate, and sulfate is achieved in one chromatographic run with a total analysis time of 25 minutes.Optimized analytical conditions are validated in terms of accuracy, precision, and total uncertainty, and the results demonstrate the reproducibility of ion chromatography. The coefficient of determination for the anions ranges from 0.9896 to 0.9997. The spiked recoveries for the anions are 88–108%. The change in the fluoride content of the toothpaste with storage time is investigated.
1 - 12 - 2006
1 - 12 - 2006
-  E. Skocir, A. Pecavar, A. Krasnja and M. Prosek: “Determination of fluorine in toothpastes by gas chromatography method”, J. High. Resolut. Chrom., Vol. 16, (1993), pp. 243–248. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jhrc.1240160408[Crossref]
-  T.D. Paraskevas and T.G. Demetrius: “Simultaneous flow-injection determination of fluoride, monofluorophosphate and orthophosphate ions using alkaline phosphatase immobilized on a cellulose nitrate membrane and an open-circulation approach”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 467, (2002), pp. 83–89. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(02)00056-9[Crossref]
-  R. Sandulescu, E. Florean, L. Roman, S. Mirel, R. Oprean and P. Suciu: “Spectrophotometric determination of fluoride in dosage forms and dental preparations”, J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., Vol. 14, (1996), pp. 951–958. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0731-7085(96)01745-1[Crossref]
-  P. Wang, S.F.Y. Lee and H.K. Lee: “Simultaneous determination of monofluorophosphate and fluoride in toothpaste by capillary electrophoresis”, J. Chromatogr., A, Vol. 765, (1997), pp. 353–359. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(96)00926-0[Crossref]
-  R. Michalski: “Ion chromatography as a reference method for the determination of inorganic ions in water and wastewater”, Crit. Rev. Anal. Chem., Vol. 36, (2006), pp. 107–127. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408340600713678[Crossref]
-  F. Farcas, T. Chaussadent, Ch. Fiaud and I. Mabille: “Determination of sodium monofluorophosphate in a hardened paste by ion chromatography”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 472, (2002), pp. 37–43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(02)00978-9[Crossref]
-  T. A. Biemer, N. Asral and A. Sippy: “Ion chromatographic procedures for analysis of total fluoride content in dentifrices”, J. Chromatogr. A, Vol. 771, (1997), pp. 355–359. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(97)00066-6[Crossref]
-  Dionex AN 156, Determination of Anions in Toothpaste by Ion Chromatography, 1999.
-  International Organization for Standardization: Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, 1993, ISO, Geneva.
-  M.A.G.T. den Hoop, R.F.M.J. Cleven, J.J. von Staden and J. Neele: “Analysis of fluoride in rain water. Comparison of capillary electrophoresis with ion chromatography and ion-selective electrode potentiometry”, J. Chromatogr. A, Vol. 739, (1996), pp. 241–248. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(96)00029-5[Crossref]
Publication order reference