A new reagent system for the highly sensitive spectrophotometric determination of selenium
Languages of publication
Highly sensitive and simple spectrophotometric determination of selenium is described for the determination of selenium(IV) using a new reagent leuco malachite green. The method is based on the reaction of selenium(IV) with potassium iodide in an acidic condition to liberate iodine, the liberated iodine oxidizes leuco malachite green to malachite green dye. The green coloration was developed in an acetate buffer (pH 4.2–4.9) on heating in a water bath (∼ 40 °C). The formed dye exhibits an absorption maximum at 615 nm. The method obeys Beer’s law over a concentration range of 0.04–0.4 µg mL−1 selenium. The molar absorptivity and Sandell’s sensitivity of the color system were found to be 1.67 × 105 L mol−1 cm-1 and 0.5 ng cm−2, respectively. The optimum reaction conditions and other analytical parameters have been evaluated. The proposed procedure has been successfully applied to the determination of selenium in real samples of water, soil, plant material, human hair, and cosmetic samples. The results were compared to those obtained with the reference method. Statistical analysis of the results confirms the precision and accuracy of the proposed method. In addition, the developed method is cost-effective and involves easily accessible instrumentation technique which can be used by ordinary research laboratories.
1 - 12 - 2006
1 - 12 - 2006
-  X. Ziegel and A. Ziegel (Eds.): Concepts for Metal Ion Toxicity, Dekker, New York, 1986.
-  H. Parkman and H. Hultberg: “Occurrence and effects of selenium in the environment - a literature review”, IVL-Rapport (Swedish), Vol. B1486, (2002), pp. 1–26.
-  J.E. Spallholz, J.L. Martin and H.E. Ganther (Eds.): Selenium in Biology and Medicine, AVI Publishing Co. Inc., Westport, CT, 1981.
-  D. Wang, G. Alfthan, A. Aro, P. Lahermo and P. Vaananen: “The impact of selenium fertilization on the distribution of selenium in rivers in Finland”, Agri. Ecosyst. Environ., Vol. 50, (1994), pp. 133–149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0167-8809(94)90132-5[Crossref]
-  F.A. Patty: Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, Vol. II, Wiley Interscience, New York, 1962.
-  A.D. Shendrikar and P.W. West: “Air sampling methods for the determination of selenium”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 89, (1977), pp. 403–406. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(01)84740-1[Crossref]
-  J.R. Shapira: Organic Selenium Compounds their Chemistry and Biology, Wiley Interscience, New York, 1971.
-  APHA: Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 19th ed., American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C., 1995.
-  L.K. Isaeev (Ed.): Control of Chemical and Biological Environmental Parameters, St. Petersburg, Krismas, 1998.
-  G.P. Bespamyatnov and Yu.A. Krotov: Maximum Permissible Concentrations of Chemical Compounds in the Environment, Khimiya, Moscow, 1985.
-  V. Badmaev and M. Majeed: “Selenium - a quest for better understanding”, Altern. Therap., Vol. 2, (1996), pp. 59–67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/act.1996.2.59[Crossref]
-  M. Navarrete, A. Gaudry, G. Revel, T. Martinez and L. Cabrera: “Urinary selenium excretion in patients with cervical uterine cancer”, Biol. Trace Elem. Res., Vol. 79, (2001), pp. 97–105. http://dx.doi.org/10.1385/BTER:79:2:97[Crossref]
-  E. Meuillet, S. Stratton, D.P. Cherkuri, A.C. Goullet, J. Kagey, B. Porterfield and M.A. Nelson: “Chemoprevention of prostate cancer with selenium - an update on current clinical trials and preclinical findings”, J. Cell. Biochem., Vol. 91, (2004), pp. 443–458. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcb.10728[Crossref]
-  L.K. Schumacher and M. Roy: “Effects of selenium on the immunocompetence of patients with head and neck cancer on adoptive immunotherapy of early and established lesions”, BioFactors, Vol. 14, (2001), pp. 161–168. [Crossref]
-  G.F. CombsJr., L.C. Clark and B.W. Turnbull: “An analysis of cancer prevention by selenium”, Biofactors, Vol. 14, (2001), pp. 153–159.
-  L.R. McDowell: Minerals in Animals and Human Nutrition, Academic Press, New York, 1992.
-  J. Tan and Y. Huang: “Selenium in geo-ecosystem and its relation to endemic diseases in China”, Water Air & Soil Pollut., Vol. 57–58, (1991), pp. 59–68. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF00282869[Crossref]
-  R.L. Tatken and R.J. Lewis: Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances, US Dept. Health and Human Science, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1983.
-  K. Yang and L. Husain: “Ultratrace determination of selenium by HG-ICP-MS operated under nanobust plasma conditions”, Spec. Lett., Vol. 39, (2006), pp. 187–201. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00387010500531233[Crossref]
-  M. Montes Bayon, M. Diaz Molet, E.B. Gonzalez and A. Sanz-Medel: “Evaluation of different sample extraction strategies for selenium determination in seleniumenriched plants (Allium sativum and Brassica juncea) and Se speciation by HPLC-ICP-MS”, Talanta, Vol. 68, (2006), pp. 1287–1293. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2005.07.040[Crossref]
-  D. Majez, I. Falnoga, M. Veber and V. Stibilj: “Determination of selenium species in plant leaves by HPLC-UV-HG-AFS”, Talanta, Vol. 68, (2006), 1287–1293. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2005.07.040[Crossref]
-  M. Murillo, N. Carrion, M. Quintana, G. Sanabria, M. Rios, L. Duarte and F. Ablan: “Determination of selenium and iodine in human thyroids”, J. Trace Elem. Med. and Biol., Vol. 19, (2005), pp. 23–27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jtemb.2005.07.005[Crossref]
-  U.M. El-Ghawi, A.A. Al-Sadeq, M.M. Bejey and M.B. Alamin: “Determination of selenium in Libyan food items using pseudocyclic instrumental neutron activation analysis”, Biol. Trace Elem. Res., Vol. 107, (2005), pp. 61–171. http://dx.doi.org/10.1385/BTER:107:1:061[Crossref]
-  S. Theodorolea, N.S. Thomaidis and E. Piperaki: “Determination of selenium in human milk by electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry and chemical modification”, Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 547, (2005), pp. 132–137. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2005.01.030[Crossref]
-  N.Yu. Stozhko, E.I. Morosanova, L.I. Kolyadina and S.V. Fomina: “Ceramic composite electrode for the determination of selenium(IV) by stripping voltammetry”, J. Anal. Chem., Vol. 61, (2006), pp. 158–165. http://dx.doi.org/10.1134/S1061934806020122[Crossref]
-  S. Nakano, M. Yoshii and T. Kawashima: “Flow-injection simultaneous determination of selenium(IV) and selenium(IV + VI) using photooxidative coupling of p-hydrazinobensenesulfonic acid with N-(1-naphthyl)ethylene diamine”, Talanta, Vol. 64, (2004), pp. 1266–1272. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2004.04.033[Crossref]
-  Z. Marczenko: Separation and Spectrophotometric Determination of Elements, 2nd ed., Ellis Horwood, Chichester, England, 1986.
-  I. Nemcova, L. Cermakova and J. Gasparic: Spectrophotometric Reactions, Marcell Dekker Inc., New York, 1996.
-  I.S. Balogh and V. Andruch: “1,3,3-Trimethyl-2-[3-(1,3,3-trimethyl-1,3-dihydroindol-2-ylidene)propenyl]-3H-indolium chloride, a highly sensitive reagent for the spectrophotometric determination of selenium”, Chem. Papers, Vol. 59, (2005), pp. 347–349.
-  B. Narayan, M. Mathew, N.G. Bhat and N.V. Sreekumar: “Spectrophotometric Determination of Selenium Using Potassium Iodide and Starch as Reagents”, Microchim. Acta, Vol. 141, (2003), pp. 175–178. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00604-002-0936-2[Crossref]
-  H.D. Revanasiddappa and T.N. Kiran Kumar: “Spectrophotometric determination of selenium by use of thionin”, Anal. Bioanal. Chem., Vol. 374, (2002), pp. 1121–1124. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00216-002-1581-7[Crossref]
-  A. Afkhami and T. Madrakian: “Kinetic-spectrophotometric determination of selenium in natural water after preconcentration of elemental selenium on activated carbon”, Talanta, Vol. 58, (2002), pp. 311–317. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0039-9140(02)00246-1[Crossref]
-  U. Ornenark and A. Olin: “Determination of dissolved selenium(VI) in freshwater”, Talanta, Vol. 41, (1994), pp. 1675–1681. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0039-9140(94)E0099-D[Crossref]
-  K.N. Ramachandran, R. Kaveeshwar and V.K. Gupta: “Spectrophotometric determination of selenium with 6-amino-1-naphthol-3-sulphonic acid (J-acid) and its application in trace analysis”, Talanta, Vol. 40, (1993), pp. 781–784. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0039-9140(93)80030-U
Publication order reference