Efficacy of Lift (Ligation of Intersphincteric Fistula Tract) for Complex and Recurrent Anal Fistulas - A Single-Center Experience and A Review of the Literature
Languages of publication
Ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract in treatment of anal fistulas (LIFT) is being said to have satisfactory results in short and long follow up, with low risk of complications. This study was designed to evaluate the results in patients with complex and recurrent fistulas in comparison with simple transsphincteric anal fistulas.The aim of the study was to present a single-center experience in LIFT procedure in treatment of both simple and complex anal fistulas, including recurrent fistulas, in comparison with a review of current literature.Material and methods. A series of 17 patients were qualified to LIFT procedure. 5 patients were treated for simple transsphincteric, 6 for complex fistulas, 6 with fistulas recurrent after fistulotomy. Median age was 47, most of the patients were male (16/17). Mean follow up was 11 months.Results. Mean operating time was 55 minutes counting from surgical site disinfection to final dressing of the wound. Of the 17 patients the overall success rate was 53%. As expected, best results were achieved in patients with simple fistulas (80% success rate), then complex (50%), and recurrent fistulas (only 33%). There were no early nor late complications of the surgery.Conclusion. As expected, in simple transsphincteric fistulas the results were satisfactory, taking into account low complication rate. Complex and recurrent fistulas seem to be risk factors of LIFT failure. The results are consistent with data published by other authors, based on the review of the current literature, and it seems there is still room for improvement, so further research is required.
28 - 10 - 2014
3 - 2 - 2015
- 1. Rojanasakul A: LIFT procedure: a simplified technique for fistula-in-ano. tech coloproctology 2009 Sep; 13(3): 237-40.[Crossref]
- 2. Jacob TJ, Perakath B, Keighley MRB: Surgical intervention for anorectal fistula. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; (5): CD006319.[WoS]
- 3. Shanwani A, Nor AM, Amri N: Ligation of the intersphincteric fistula tract (LIFT): a sphincter-saving technique for fistula-in-ano. Dis Colon Rectum 2010 Jan; 53(1): 39-42.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 4. Sileri P, Giarratano G, Franceschilli L et al.: Ligation of the Intersphincteric Fistula Tract (LIFT): A Minimally Invasive Procedure for Complex Anal Fistula: Two-Year Results of a Prospective Multicentric Study. Surg Innov 2013 Nov 6.[WoS]
- 5. Sileri P, Franceschilli L, Angelucci GP et al.: Ligation of the intersphincteric fistula tract (LIFT) to treat anal fistula: early results from a prospective observational study. Tech Coloproctology 2011 Dec; 15(4): 413-16.[Crossref][WoS]
- 6. Parks AG, Gordon PH, Hardcastle JD: A classification of fistula-in-ano. Br J Surg 1976 Jan; 63(1): 1-12.
- 7. Abcarian H: Anorectal Infection: Abscess-Fistula. Clin Colon Rectal Surg 2011 Mar; 24(1): 14-21.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 8. Seow-Choen F, Nicholls RJ: Anal fistula. Br J Surg 1992 Mar; 79(3): 197-205.
- 9. Rojanasakul A, Pattanaarun J, Sahakitrungru-ang C, Tantiphlachiva K: Total anal sphincter saving technique for fistula-in-ano; the ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract. J Med Assoc Thail Chotmaihet Thangphaet 2007 Mar; 90(3): 581-86.
- 10. Bleier JIS, Moloo H, Goldberg SM: Ligation of the intersphincteric fistula tract: an effective new technique for complex fistulas. Dis Colon Rectum 2010 Jan; 53(1): 43-46.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- 11. Wallin UG, Mellgren AF, Madoff RD, Goldberg SM: Does ligation of the intersphincteric fistula tract raise the bar in fistula surgery? Dis Colon Rectum 2012 Nov; 55(11): 1173-78.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- 12. Tan K-K, Tan IJ, Lim FS et al.: The anatomy of failures following the ligation of intersphincteric tract technique for anal fistula: a review of 93 patients over 4 years. Dis Colon Rectum 2011 Nov; 54(11): 1368-72.[WoS][Crossref][PubMed]
- 13. Tan K-K, Alsuwaigh R, Tan AM et al.: To LIFT or to flap? Which surgery to perform following seton insertion for high anal fistula? Dis Colon Rectum 2012 Dec; 55(12): 1273-77.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- 14. Abcarian AM, Estrada JJ, Park J et al.: Liga-tion of intersphincteric fistula tract: early results of a pilot study. Dis Colon Rectum 2012 Jul; 55(7): 778-82.[Crossref]
- 15. Vergara-Fernandez O, Espino-Urbina LA: Li-gation of intersphincteric fistula tract: What is the evidence in a review? World J Gastroenterol WJG 2013 Oct 28; 19(40): 6805-13.[Crossref][WoS]
- 16. Ooi K, Skinner I, Croxford M et al.: Managing fistula-in-ano with ligation of the intersphincteric fistula tract procedure: the Western Hospital experience. Colorectal Dis Off J Assoc Coloproctology G B Irel 2012 May; 14(5): 599-603.[Crossref]
- 17. Lehmann J-P, Graf W: Efficacy of LIFT for recurrent anal fistula. Colorectal Dis Off J Assoc Coloproctology G B Irel 2013 May; 15(5): 592-95.[Crossref]
- 18. Alasari S, Kim NK: Overview of anal fistula and systematic review of ligation of the intersphinc-teric fistula tract (LIFT). Tech Coloproctology 2014 Jan; 18(1): 13-33, Epub 2013 Jul. 27.[Crossref][WoS]
- 19. Liu WY, Aboulian A, Kaji AH, Kumar RR: Longterm results of ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract (LIFT) for fistula-in-ano. Dis Colon Rectum 2013 Mar; 56(3): 343-47.[Crossref][WoS]
- 20. Hong KD, Kang S, Kalaskar S, Wexner SD: Ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract (LIFT) to treat anal fistula: systematic review and meta-analysis. Tech Coloproctology 2014 Aug; 18(8): 685-91.[Crossref][WoS]
- 21. Han JG, Yi BQ, Wang ZJ et al.: Ligation of the Intersphincteric Fistula Tract Plus Bioprosthetic Anal Fistula Plug (LIFT-Plug): a New Technique for Fistula-in-Ano. Colorectal Dis Off J Assoc Coloproctology G B Irel 2012 Oct 16.
- 22. Ellis CN: Outcomes after repair of rectovaginal fistulas using bioprosthetics. Dis Colon Rectum 2008 Jul; 51(7): 1084-88.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- 23. Ellis CN: Outcomes with the use of bioprosthe-tic grafts to reinforce the ligation of the intersphinc-teric fistula tract (BioLIFT procedure) for the management of complex anal fistulas. Dis Colon Rectum 2010 Oct; 53(10): 1361-64.[Crossref][WoS]
- 24. Sirikurnpiboon S, Awapittaya B, Jivapaisarn-pong P: Ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract and its modification: Results from treatment of complex fistula. World J Gastrointest Surg 2013 Apr 27; 5(4): 123-28.[Crossref]
- 25. Mushaya C, Bartlett L, Schulze B, Ho Y-H: Ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract compared with advancement flap for complex anorectal fistulas requiring initial seton drainage. Am J Surg 2012 Sep; 204(3): 283-89.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
Publication order reference