Neurilemoma of the Median Nerve - Surgical Strategies Based on a Case Report
Languages of publication
The study presented a case of a patient with a neurilemoma of the median nerve. It presented as a six centemeters tumor, at the level of the proximal one third of the arm with only mild paraesthesias within frst to third ray of the hand. MRI showed the relationship of the tumor and the median nerve, and allowed for the preliminary diagnose of a benign peripheral neural sheath tumor (neurilemoma or neurofibroma). During the first operation the tumor has not been excised, because nerve reconstruction technique was not available. During the second procedure excision of the tumor has been performed without resection of the median nerve trunk with no postoperative deficiencies. The paper provides a detailed description of a surgical procedure. The presented case, like current publications shows that peripheral neural sheath tumor may be usually excised without resection of the nerve trunk, although the possibility of nerve fascicles injury or the need to excise them in the case of neurofibroma clearly suggest that these type of operations should be carried out in centers with microsurgical facilities.
18 - 12 - 2014
22 - 10 - 2013
- 1. Mrugala MM, Batchelor TT, Plotkin SR: Peri-pheral and cranial nerve sheath tumors. curr opin neurol 2005; 18: 604-10.[Crossref]
- 2. Kim DH, Murovic JA, Tiel RL et al.: A series of 397 peripheral neural sheath tumors: 30-year experience at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. J neurosurg 2005; 102: 246-55.
- 3. Sandberg K, Nilsson J, Søe Nielsen N et al.: Tumours of peripheral nerves in the upper extre-mity: a 22-year epidemiological study. Scand J Plast reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2009; 43: 43-49.[Crossref]
- 4. Adani R, Baccarani A, Guidi E et al.: Schwan-nomas of the upper extremity: diagnosis and tre-atment. chir organi Mov 2008; 92: 85-88.
- 5. Forthman CL, Blazar PE: Nerve tumors of the hand and upper extremity. Hand clin 2004; 20: 233-42.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 6. Hubert J, Landes G, Tardif M: Schwannoma of the median nerve. J Plast Surg Hand Surg 2013; 47: 75-77.[PubMed]
- 7. Vigler M, Levine LJ, Posner MA et al.: Multiple neurilemomas in the upper extremity: a series of three cases. bull nyu Hosp Jt Dis 2008; 66: 61-64.
- 8. Nilsson J, Sandberg K, Søe Nielsen N et al.: Magnetic resonance imaging of peripheral nerve tumours in the upper extremity. Scand J Plast reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2009; 43: 153-59.[Crossref][WoS]
- 9. Stoll G, Wilder-Smith E, Bendszus M: Imaging of the peripheral nervous system. Handb clin neurol 2013; 115: 137-53.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 10. Mohan AT, Park DH, Jalgaonkar A et al.: Intra-neural Ewing's sarcoma of the upper limb mimic-king a peripheral nerve tumour. A report of 2 cases. J Plast reconstr aesthet Surg 2011; 64: e153-56.
- 11. Papagelopoulos PJ, Mavrogenis AF, Skarpidi E et al.: A 56-year-old Woman with a Right Arm Mass. clin orthop relat res 2008; 466: 2892-98.[PubMed]
- 12. Chatillon CE, Guiot MC, Jacques L: Lipomato-us, vascular and chondromatous benign tumors of the peripheral nerves. neurosurg Focus 2007; 22: E18.[Crossref]
- 13. Kellner CP, Sussman E, Bar-David T et al.: Schwannomas of the Foot and Ankle: A Technical Report. J Foot ankle Surg 2013 Aug 7. pii: S1067-2516(13)00200-7. doi: 10.1053/j. jfas.2013.05.007. (Epub ahead of print).[Crossref]
- 14. Kwon JH, Yoon JR, Kim TS et al.: Peripheral nerve sheath tumor of the medial plantar nerve without tarsal tunnel syndrome: a case report. J Foot ankle Surg 2009; 48: 477-82.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
Publication order reference