Results of Laparoscopic Appendectomies Performed with the Use of Titanium Clips for Closure of the Appendicular Stump
Languages of publication
Nowadays laparoscopy is used frequently not only in elective surgery but also in abdominal emergencies, including acute appendicitis. There are several techniques used to close the appendicular stump during laparoscopic appendectomy.The aim of the study was to present the results of minimally invasive appendectomies performed with the use of titanium clips.material and methods. Patients operated on laparoscopically for acute appendicitis with the application of titanium clips between October 2012 and December 2013 were included in the study. We reviewed retrospectively patients` data including: age, sex, duration of the surgical procedure and hospital stay, mortality, intraoperative and postoperative complication rates.Results. There were 93 patients (mean age=33.8 years, SD=15.23) in the analyzed group, including 60 men (mean age=33.5 years, SD= 15.07) and 33 women (mean age=33.9 years SD=15.26). The aver-age duration of the surgical procedure was 66 min (SD= 33.15). The average length of hospital stay was 3.38 days (SD=1.62). No intraoperative complications were observed in the analyzed group. Post-operative complication rate was low (6 cases, 6.5%). No mortality was observed.Conclusions. Laparoscopic appendectomy with the application of titanium clips for closure of the appendicular stump is safe, associated with low complication rates and should be considered as a routine technique in everyday surgical practice.
18 - 12 - 2014
26 - 7 - 2014
- 1. Bobrzyński A, Budzyński A, Strzałka M: Laparoskopia ze wskazań doraźnych. Przegl lek 2002; 59(10): 873.
- 2. Strzałka M, Bobrzyński A: Laparoskopia w leczeniu ostrych schorzeń jamy brzusznej. wideochir inne tech Malo inwazyjne 2008; 3(1): 1-9.
- 2. Strzałka M, Bobrzyński A, Budzyński A, Gwóźdź A: Usunięcie wyrostka robaczkowego techniką klasyczną czy laparoskopową? wideochir inne tech Malo inwazyjne 2009; 4(3): 110-14.
- 4. Sauerland S, Jaschinski T, Neugebauer EA: Laparoscopic versus open surgery for suspected appendicitis. cochrane Database Syst rev 2010; 6(10): CD001546.[WoS]
- 5. Krisher SL, Browne A, Dibbins A et al.: Intra-abdominal abscess after laparoscopic appendecto-my for perforated appendicitis. arch Surg 2001; 136: 438-41.
- 6. Sporn E, Petroski GF, Mancini GJ et al.: Lapa-roscopic appendectomy-is it worth the cost? Trend analysis in the US from 2000 to 2005. J am coll Surg 2009; 208: 179-85.
- 7. Sajid MS, Rimple J, Cheek E, Baig MK: Use of endo-GIA versus endo-loop for securing the appen-dicular stump in laparoscopic appendicectomy: a systematic review. Surg laparosc endosc Percutan tech 2009; 19: 11-15.
- 8. Kazemier G, In't Hof KH, Saad S et al.: Securing the appendiceal stump in laparoscopic appendec-tomy: evidence for routine stapling? Surg endosc 2006; 20: 1473-76.[Crossref]
- 9. Partecke LI, Kessler W, von Bernstorff W et al.: Laparoscopic appendectomy using a single polymeric clip to close the appendicular stump. langen- becks arch Surg 2010; 395: 1077-82.
- 10. Delibegovic S, Matovic E: Hem-o-lok plastic clips in securing of the base of the appendix during laparoscopic appendectomy. Surg endosc 2009; 23: 2851-54.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 11. Gonenc M, Gemici E, Kalayci MU et al.: Intracorporeal knotting versus metal endoclip application for the closure of the appendiceal stump during laparoscopic appendectomy in uncomplicated ap-pendicitis. J laparoendosc adv Surg tech A 2012; 8(3): 231-35.
- 12. Alis H, Gonenc M, Deniztas C et al.: Metal endoclips for the closure of the appendiceal stump in laparoscopic appendectomy. tech coloproctol 2012; 8(2): 139-41.[Crossref][WoS]
- 13. Rickert A, Bönninghoff R, Post S et al.: Appendix stump closure with titanium clips in laparoscopic appendectomy. langenbecks arch Surg 2012; 397(2): 327-31.
- 14. Ates M, Dirican A, Ince V et al: S. Comparison of intracorporeal knot-tying suture (polyglactin) and titanium endoclips in laparoscopic appendiceal stump closure: a prospective randomized study. Surg lapa-rosc endosc Percutan tech 2012; 22(3): 226-31.
- 15. Gomes CA, Junior CS, De Peixoto RO et al.: Appendiceal stump closure by metal endoclip in the management of complicated acute appendicitis world J emerg Surg 2013; 8: 35.
Publication order reference