Gigantic Solitary Fibrous Tumour of Extra-Peritoneal Space. A Case Report and Review of the Literature
Languages of publication
Solitary fibrous tumour (SFT) is a rare soft tissue tumour which belongs to fibroblastic/myofibroblastic group of tumours. The most often it appears in pleura, also in pericardium, internal organs, peritoneum and extraperitoenal space. SFT was first described as a new type of pleura’s tumour by Klemperer and Rabin in 1931. The histogenesis of SFT’s has been discussed for years suggesting its mesothelial origin. Recently, SFT has been classified as a mesenchymal fibroblastic tumour. We report a very rare case of 71-year old man suffering from gigantic solitary fibrous tumour of extraperitoneal space who underwent curative surgery in the Department of General, Gastroenterological and Oncologic Surgery in 2011
1 - 7 - 2014
12 - 9 - 2014
8 - 5 - 2013
- 1. Klemperer P, Rabin CB: Primary neoplasm of the pleura: a report of five cases. Arch Pathol 1931; 11: 385-412.
- 2. Bouhabel S, Leblanc G, Ferreira J et al.: Solitary fibrous tumour arising in the mesentery: a case report. W J Surg Oncol 2011; 9: 140.[WoS]
- 3. Gengler C, Guillou L: Solitary fibrous tumour and haemangiopericytoma: evolution of a concept. Histopathology 2006: 48: 63-74.
- 4. Hasegawa T, Matsuno Y, Shimodfa T et al.: Extrathoracic solitary fibrous tumours: their histological variabilityand potentially aggressive behaviour. Human Pathol 1999; 30, 12: 1464-73.[Crossref]
- 5. Musyoki FN, Nahal A, Powell TI: Solitary fibrous tumour: an update on the spectrum of extrapleural manifestations. Skeletal Radiol 2012; 41: 5-13.[PubMed][WoS][Crossref]
- 6. Pływaczewski R, Hawryłkeiwcz I, Langfort R i wsp.: Odosobniony guz włóknisty opłucnej u 75- letniej chorej. Pneumonol Alergol 2004; 72: 32-36.
- 7. Nagase T, Adachi I, Yamada T et al.: Solitary fibrous tumour in the pelvic cavity with hypoglicemia: report of a case. Surg Today 2005; 35: 181-84.[Crossref]
- 8. Yamashita S, Tochigi T, Kawamura S et al.: A case of retroperitoneal solitary fibrous tumour. Act Urol 2007; 53: 477-80.
- 9. Cristi E, Perrone G, Battista C et al.: A rare case of solitary fibrous tumor of the pre-sacral space: morphological and immunohistochemical features. In Vivo 2005; 19: 777-80.[PubMed]
- 10. Lau MI, Foo FJ, Sissons MC et al.: Solitary fibrous tumour of small bowel mesentery: a case report and review of the literature. Tumori 2010; 96: 1035-39.[PubMed]
Publication order reference