Gastrointestinal Tract Obstruction Due to Jejunal Adenocarcinoma – Case Report
Languages of publication
The study presented a rare case of jejunal adenocarcinoma in a 60-year-old patient with symptoms of high subileus. No risk factors or coexisting diseases, which predispose towards intestinal cancer were detected. The study contained a description of the performed surgical procedure. The presented case illustrated the diagnostic and therapeutic difficulties in patients with small intestinal cancer. The low prevalence of small intestinal cancer makes no clear standards of mid- and postoperative treatment, including the qualification for adjuvant chemotherapy. The aim of this study was to broaden the knowledge concerning the presented symptoms and diagnostic test abnormalities, which, in case of rare diseases, is based on single patient reports. Furthermore, according to reference analyses, postoperative recommendations were presented, including diagnostics towards coexisting predisposing diseases
1 - 4 - 2014
27 - 6 - 2014
5 - 5 - 2013
- 1. Hatzaras I, Palesty JA, Abir F et al.: Small bowel tumors. Epidemiologic and clinical characteristics of 1260 cases from the Connecticut Tumor Registry. Arch Surg 2007; 142 (3): 229-35.[WoS]
- 2. Neugut AI, Jacobsen JS, Suh S et al.: The epidemiology of cancer of the small bowel. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 1998; 7: 243-51.[PubMed]
- 3. Chow JS, Chen CC, Ahsan H, Neugut AI: A population- based study of the incidence of malignant small bowel tumours: SEER, 1973-1990. Int J Epidemiol 1996; 25: 722-28.
- 4. Chaiyasate K, Jain AK, Cheung LY et al.: Prognostic factors in primary adenocarcinoma of the small intestine: 13-year single institution experience. World J Surg Oncol 2008; 31: 6-12.
- 5. Fabiszewski A, Brycht Ł, Jackowski M: Primary small intestine tumour as the cause of gastrointestinal tract occlusion. Pol Przegl Chir 2011; 83 (3): 175-79.
- 6. Dabaja BS, Suki D, Pro B et al.: Adenocarcinoma of the small bowel - presentation, prognostic factors and outcome of 217 patients. Cancer 2004; 101: 518-26.[Crossref]
- 7. Kruś S, Skrzypek-Fakhoury E: Patomorfologia kliniczna. Wydawnictwo Lekarskie PZWL, Wyd. II, Warszawa 2005.
- 8. Gawłowicz M, Zapotoczny S, Waniczek D i wsp.: Niedrożność spowodowana gruczolakorakiem jelita czczego. Wiad Lek 2009; LXII (2): 111-14.
- 9. Chen CW, Wang WM, Su YC et al.: Oxaliplatin/ 5-fluorouracil/leukovorin (FOLFOX4) regimen as an adjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of advanced jejunal adenocarcinoma: a report of 2 cases. Med Princ Pract 2008; 17 (6): 496-99.[WoS][Crossref]
Publication order reference