Rigid Bronchoscopy and Tracheostomy Compared to Repeated Dilatation of Tracheal Stenosis Prior to Tracheal Resection and Anastomosis; A Pilot Study
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to compare the results of tracheostomy of the site of stenosis and repeated RB & D in previously published papers. Material and methods. This prospective study examined the treatment of tracheal stenosis with tracheostomy at the site of stenosis. The recurrence rates, duration of hospitalization before and after tracheal resection, the number of tracheal rings removed, prognosis,and complications were evaluated. Results. It seems that a tracheostomy at the site of stenosis instead of repeated RB & D reduces the recurrence rate and duration of hospital stay, the need for a constant presence of a chest surgeon in the hospital, hospitalization costs. Also, the implementation of this method is possible in more centers. Conclusion. Tracheostomy at the site of tracheal stenosis can reduce the recurrence rate of stenosis, and prevent prolonged hospitalization, repeated anesthesia and inappropriate emergency tracheostomy.
1 - 3 - 2014
14 - 2 - 2014
25 - 4 - 2014
- 1. Grillo HC, Zannini P, Michelassi F: Complications of tracheal reconstruct ion. Incidence, treatment and prevention. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1986; 91(3); 322-28.
- 2. Louhimo I, Leijala M: The treatment of low retrosternal tracheal stenosis in the neonate and small children. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1985; 33(2); 98-102.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 3. Maassen W, Greschvchna D, Vogt-Moykopf 1 et al.: Tracheal resection stat of the art. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1985; 33(1); 2-7.[Crossref]
- 4. Naef AP: Extensive tracheal resection and tracheobranchial reconstruction. Ann Thorac Surg 1969; 8 (5): 391-410.[Crossref]
- 5. Benum of jl. Anesthesia for thoracic Surgery.2nd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Sanders 1995; p 498
- 6. Colt HG, Harrell JH: Therapeutic rigid bronchoscopy allows level of care changes in patients with acute respiratory failure from central airways obstruction. Chest 1997; 112(1): 202-06.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 7. Craven DE, Lei Y, Ruthazer R et al.: Incidence and outcomes of ventilator-associated tracheobronchitis and pneumonia. Am J Med 2013; 126(6): 542-49.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 8. Tsakiridis K, Darwiche K, Visouli AN et al.: Management of complex benign post-tracheostomy tracheal stenosis with bronchoscopic insertion of silicon tracheal stents, in patients with failed or contraindicated surgical reconstruction of trachea. J Thorac Dis 2012 Nov; 4(Suppl 1): 32-40. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2012.s002[Crossref][WoS]
- 9. Grillo HC, Donahue DM : Postintubation tracheal stenosis. Chest Surg Clin N Am 1996; 6: 725-31.[PubMed]
- 10. Grillo HC, Donahue DM : Post intubation tracheal stenosis. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1996,8: 370-80.[PubMed]
- 11. Grint NJ , Sayers IR, Cecchi R et al.: Postanaesthetic tracheal strictures in three rabbits. Lab Anim 2006; 40(3): 301-08.[Crossref]
- 12. Chhaged PN, Malouf MA , Glanville AR: Bronchoscpic dilatation in the management of benign( non-transplant) tracheoronchial stenosis. Intern Med J 2001,31(9): 212-60.
- 13. Grillo MC ,Donahue DM , Mathisen DJ et al.: Post intubation tracheal stenosis. treatment and results. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1995; 109(3): 486-92: discussion 492-93.
- 14. Rea F, Callegaro D, Loy M et al.: Benign tracheal and laryngotracheal stenosis : surgical treatment and results. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2002; 22(3): 352-56.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 15. Wynn R, Har-EI G,Lim JW : Tracheal resection with end- to- end anastomosis for benign tracheal stenosis. Ann Oto Rhinol Laryngol 2004 ; 113(8): 613-17.
- 16. Tracheal resection with end-to-end anastomosis for isolated postintubation cervical trachea stenosis long term results. Ann Oto Rhino Laryngol 1996 ; 105 (12): 944-80.
- 17. Abbasi Dezfouli A,Saidi F, Shadmehr MB et al.: Surgical treatment for upper Airway stnosis secondary to tracheal intubation. Journal of medical council of Islamic Republic of IRAN.2000; 18(3): 185-191.(persian)
Publication order reference