Migration of biomaterials used in gastroenterological surgery
Languages of publication
Mesh biomaterials have become the standard in the treatment of hernias, regardless the location. In addition to the obvious advantages of the methods based on implantable biomaterials, one should be aware of the possible complications, such as their migration to the abdominal organs.Material and methods. The study group comprised patients operated at the Department of General, Gastroenterological Oncology, and Plastic Surgery during the period between 2008 and 2011, due to hernia surgery with mesh implantation. We also analysed the number of patients operated, due to complications of mesh migration during the same period.Results. 368 patients were subject to mesh implantation, due to hernias during the period between 2008 and 2011. Three patients underwent surgery because of symptomatic migration of the mesh (ileus, fistula).Conclusions. The frequency of mesh migration is difficult to determine because of the different criteria of migration, observation period, and other factors. In patients after mesh implantation the potential migration of the biomaterial should be considered in case of unclear or acute abdominal symptoms.
1 - 07 - 2013
13 - 08 - 2013
- 1. Ferrone R, Scarone PC, Natalini G: Late complication of open inguinal hernia repair: small bowel obstruction caused by intraperitoneal mesh migration. Hernia 2003; 7: 161-62.[PubMed]
- 2. Goswami R, Babor M, Ojo A: Mesh erosion into caecum following laparoscopic repair of inguinal (TAPP): a case report and literature review. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech 2007; 17: 669-72.
- 3. Lo DJ, Bilimoria KY , Pugh CM: Bowel complications after prolene hernia system (PHS) repair: a case report and review of literature. Hernia 2008; 12: 437-40[WoS][Crossref]
- 4. Moorman ML, Price PD: Migrating mesh plug: complication of well-established hernia rep air technique. Am Surg 2005; 70: 298-99.
- 5. Stout CL, Foret A, Christie DB, Mullis E: Small bowel volvulus caused by migrating mesh plug. AmSurg 2007; 73: 796-97.
- 6. Sękowska M, Kościński T, Wierzbicki T, DrewsM: Operacja przepukliny brzusznej za pomocą siatki niewchłanianej powikłana przetoką do okrężnicy. Ostry dyżur 2010; 2: 66-67.
Publication order reference