Laparoscopic Appendectomy as an Alternative to Conventional Procedure – Results in our own Material
Languages of publication
Appendectomies are the most common surgical procedures performed in the emergency surgery setting. Since more than one decade laparoscopic appendectomy appeared as an alternative procedure to commonly used conventional appendectomy as a recognized method of treatment of acute appendicitis. Despite multiple papers and studies comparing these techniques, still no clear indications and eligibility criteria exist for either of them.The aim of the study was to evaluate results of treatment of acute appendicitis using the laparoscopic method versus the conventional appendectomy, basing on parameters affecting treatment results and costs, such as duration of hospitalization, complications, use of medications.Material and methods. The analysis included patients who underwent surgical treatment for acute appendicitis at the Department of Surgery of 4th Military Clinical Hospital in Wrocław between 2006 and 2012. Since 2006, 128 laparoscopic appendectomies (group 1) were performed, while 189 patients underwent conventional procedure during this time (including 11 who underwent a diagnostic laparoscopy - group 2). The study was based on retrospective analysis of medical records of patients. Treatment results were evaluated basing on the following parameters: duration of hospitalization, amount of used analgesics, duration and type of antibiotic therapy, peri- and postoperative complications.Results and conclusions. Results obtained at our Clinic, similar to results obtained at other sites, warrant use of laparoscopic appendectomy. Use of minimally invasive techniques provides better treatment results, mainly with regard to shorter duration of hospitalization, lower use of antibiotics and analgesics, which also contributes to lower overall treatment costs.
1 - 06 - 2013
05 - 07 - 2013
- 1. Semm K: Endoscopic appendectomy. Endoscopy 1983; 15(2): 59-64.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 2. Götz F, Pier A, Bacher C: Modified laparoscopic appendectomy in surgery. A report on 388 operations. Surg Endosc 1990; 4(1): 6-9.[Crossref]
- 3. Cushieri A: Appendectomy - laparoscopic or open. Surg Endosc 1997; 11: 923-27.
- 4. Majewski W, Sulikowski T, Zieliński S: Appendektomia laparoskopowa - robić, czy nie robić? Videochirurgia 1997; 2: 46-50.
- 5. Posadowski K, Modrzejewski A, Jordan A: Analiza wyników appendektomii laparoskopowej u nieselekcjonowanych chorych. Videochirurgia 1997; 2: 51-54.
- 6. Neugebauer E, Troidl H, Cum CK: The EAES Consensus Development Conferences on laparoscopic cholcystekctomy, appendectomy and hernia repair. Surg Endosc 1995; 9: 550-63.
- 7. Kapischke M, Caliebe A, Tepel J: Open versus laparoscopic appendicectomy: a critical review. Surg Endosc 2006; 20(7): 1060-68.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 8. Klaiber C, Wagner M, Metzger A: Various stapling techniques in laparoscopic appendectomy: 40 consecutive cases. Surg Laparosc Endosc 1994; 4(3): 205-09.[PubMed]
- 9. Daniell JF, Gurley LD, Kurtz BR, Chambers JF: The use of an automatic stapling device for laparoscopic appendectomy. Obstet Gynecol 1991; 78(4): 721-23.[PubMed]
- 10. Sajid MS, Rimple J, Cheek E, Baig MK: Use of endo-GIA versus endo-loop for securing the appendicular stump in laparoscopic appendicectomy: a systematic review. Surg Laparosc Endosc PercutanTech 2009; 19(1): 11-15.[Crossref]
- 11. Delibegović S, Matović E: Hem-o-lok plastic clips in securing of the base of the appendix during laparoscopic appendectomy. Surg Endosc 2009; 23(12): 2851-54.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 12. Janczak D, Merenda M, Litarski A i wsp.: Zastosowanie klipsów polimerowych w appendektomii laparoskopowej. Polim Med 2011; 3: 19-23.
- 13. Milewczyk M, Michalik M, Ciesielski M: A Prospective, randomized, unicenter study comparing laparoscopic and open treatments of acute appendicitis. Surg Endosc 2003; 17: 1023-28.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 14. McBurney C: The incision made in the abdominal wall in cases of appendicitis, with a description of a new method of operating. Ann Surg 1894: 20; 38-43.[PubMed][Crossref]
- 15. Yong JL, Law WL, Lo CY: A comparative study of routine laparoscopic versus open appendectomy. JSLS 2006; 10(2): 188-92.[PubMed]
- 16. Kouhia S, Heiskanen J, Huttunen R: Long term follow-up of a randomized clinical trial of open versus laparoscopic appedicectomy. Br J Surg 2010; 97: 1395-1400.
- 17. Needham PJ, Laughlan KA, Botterill ID: Laparoscopic appendicectomy: calculating the cost. AnnR Coll Surg Engl 2009; 91: 606-08.
Publication order reference