The influence of process parameters on combustion of plastic waste in the fluidized bed reactor
Languages of publication
The paper presents the results of a research on the effects of process parameters on the combustion of waste plastics. The experiments were carried out in a laboratory fluidized bed reactor. The temperature and the conditions of the process were changed during the experiments. The plastics were combusted continuously (autothermally), periodically with extra fuel (co-firing) and alone in a hot fluidized bed. During the combustion process of materials containing nitrogen (PA, ABS), while the bed temperature decrease, changes of emissions of nitrogen oxides, in particular an increase in the concentration of N2O, up to 250 ppm at ~730°C, were observed. During ABS combustion, emission of HCN was registered, at a maximum of 400 ppm. The presence of the supporting fuel (LPG) resulted in the stabilization and acceleration of the plastic samples degradation process. The rate of thermal decomposition of waste materials depended on its elemental composition and also the physicochemical properties.
1 - 12 - 2013
31 - 12 - 2013
- 1. The Plastics Portal. Plastics - the Facts 2012, An analysis of European plastics production, demand and waste data for 2011, PlasticsEurope, EuPC, EPRO. Retrieved January 17, 2013 from http://www.plasticseurope.co.uk/Document/plasticsthe-facts-2012-9894.aspx
- 2. Central Statistical Offi ce of Poland. (2012). Municipal infrastructure in 2011. Statistical information and studies.
- 3.4:18. Warszawa (in Polish).
- 3. Sieja, L. (2006). Characteristics of municipal wastes based on research carried out in selected towns in Poland. 40 (1), 28-34. (in Polish).
- 4. Kordylewski, W. (2005). Combustion and fuels (4th ed.). Wrocław, Polska: Ofi cyna Wydawnicza Politechniki Wrocławskiej, (in Polish).
- 5. Pająk, T. (1998). Thermal utilization of municipal solid waste as a element of contemporary integrated municipal solid waste management. Przegląd komunalny. 98 (3), 17-40. (in Polish).
- 6. Piecuch, T. (1998). Thermal waste treatment and air protection against harmful exhaust gas components. Wyd.Politechniki Koszalińskiej (in Polish).
- 7. Directive of Council Europe. (1996). On ambient air quality assessment and management. 96/62/EC.
- 8. Directive of Council Europe. (1989). On the reduction of air pollution from existing municipal waste-incineration plants. 89/429/EEC.
- 9. Directive of Council Europe. (1989). On the prevention of air pollution from new municipal waste incineration plants. 89/369/EEC.
- 10. Directive of Council Europe. (2001). On the limitation of emissions of certain pollutants into the air from large combustion plants. 2001/80/EC.
- 11. Directive of Council Europe. (2000). On the incineration of waste. 2000/76/EC.
- 12. Directive of Council Europe. (2001). The European Parliament and of the Council on national emission ceilings for certain atmospheric pollutants. 2001/81/EC.
- 13. Jankowski, D., Baron, J., Zabagło, J., Żukowski, W. & Woynarowska, A. (2011). Plastic waste combustion in the fl uidized bed. Przemysł Chemiczny. 90 (7), 1340-1345 (in Polish).
- 14. Żukowski, W., Baron, J., Błaszczyk-Pasteczka, A., Kandefer, S. & Olek, M. (2008). Effects of burning propane in inert and chemically active fl uidized beds. Przemysł Chemiczny 87 (2), 214-218. (in Polish).
- 15. Baron, J., Bulewicz, E.M., Kandefer, S., Pilawska, M., Żukowski, W. & Hayhurst, A.N. (2009). Combustion of hydrogen in a bubbling fl uidized bed. Combustion and Flame 156 (5), 975-984.[WoS]
- 16. Zabagło, J., Baron, J., Olek, M., Kandefer, S. & Żukowski, W. (2010). The use of the fl uidized bed boiler for the disposal of the multi-material packaging waste. Polish Journal of Chemical Technology 12 (4), 19-21.[WoS]
- 17. Żukowski, W., Englot, S., Baron, J., Kandefer, S. & Olek, M. (2010). Reduction of carbon dioxide emission using adsorption - Desorption cycles in a fl uidised bed reactor. Environment Protection Engineering 36 (4), 47-56.
- 18. Jankowski, D., Baron, J. & Żukowski, W. (2012). Dynamics of plastics combustion in a reactor with inert bubble fl uidized bed. Przemysł Chemiczny 91 (5), 772-778 (in Polish).
- 19. Baron, J., Bulewicz, E.M., Zabagło, J. & Żukowski, W. (2012). Propagation of reaction between bubbles with a gas burning in a fl uidised bed. Flow, Turbulence and Combustion 88 (4), 479-502.[WoS]
- 20. Olek, M., Baron, J. & Żukowski, W. (2013). Thermal decomposition of selected chlorinated hydrocarbons during gas combustion in fl uidized bed. Chemistry Central Journal 7 (1), art. no. 2.
- 21. Burgges, F., Lloyd, P.D.W., Fennell, P.S., Hayhurst, A.N. (2011). Combustion of polymer pellets in a bubbling fl uidised bed. Combustion and Flame 158, 1638-1645.[WoS]
- 22. Jankowski, D., Baron, J., Żukowski, W. & Kandefer, S. (2013). Thermal decomposition of waste plastics and biomass in a fl uidized bed reactor. Przemysł Chemiczny 92(5), 772-779. (in Polish).
Publication order reference