Inhibitive tendency of zinc gluconate for aluminium alloy in sulphuric acid solution
Languages of publication
The corrosion inhibition of aluminium alloy in 0.5M H2SO4 solution in the presence of zinc gluconate at 301 K was investigated using weight loss and an electrochemical method. Surface analysis of the aluminium alloy sample was reviewed by a high resolution scanning electron microscope equipped with energy dispersive spectroscopy (HRSEM/ EDS). The readings were taken after 48 h for 28 days while the concentration of the inhibitor was varied from 0.5 to 2.0% g/v with an interval of 0.5. The result of the investigation shows that zinc gluconate has a good corrosion inhibition effect for aluminium alloy in 0.5 molar sulphuric acid solution and its efficiency attains more than 67% at 1.5% g/v concentration of zinc gluconate at 301 K. The potentiodynamic polarization data showed that zinc gluconate acts as a mixed type corrosion inhibitor. The adsorption of zinc gluconate on aluminium alloy has been found to obey Freundlich adsorption isotherm at all the concentration of zinc gluconate studied. The results obtained from different methods are in good agreement.
1 - 12 - 2013
31 - 12 - 2013
- 1. Halambek, J., Berkovic, K. & Vorkapic-Furac, J. (2010). The infl uence of Lavandula angustifolia L. oil on corrosion of Al-3Mg alloy. Corr. Sci. 52, 3978-3983. DOI: 10.1016/j. corsci. 2010.08.012.[Crossref]
- 2. Ayeni, FA., Madugu, IA., Sukop, P., Ihom, AP., Alabi, OO., Okara, R. & Abdulwahab, M. (2012). Effect of Aqueous Extracts of Bitter Leaf Powder on the Corrosion Inhibition of Al-Si Alloy in 0.5 M Caustic Soda Solutions. J. Min. Mater. Character. Engin.11, 667-670.
- 3. Handbook of Corrosion Engineering. Pierre R. Roberge. McCraw-Hill. 1999.
- 4. Khaled, KF. & Qahtani MM. (2009). The inhibitive effect of some tetrazole derivatives towards Al corrosion in acid solution: Chemical, electrochemical and theoretical studies. Mater. Chem. Phys. 113, 150-158. DOI: 10.1016/j.matchemphys. 2008.07.060.[WoS][Crossref]
- 5. Umoren, SA. Li, Y. & Wang, FH. (2010). Infl uence of aluminium microstructure on corrosion and Corrosion inhibitor performance in acidic medium. J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 1, 189-196.
- 6. Hadi, Z.M., Alaa, SK. & Athir, M. (2010). The inhibition effects of dimethylol-5-methyl hydantoin and its derivatives on carbon steel alloy. J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 1 (4), 227-238.
- 7. Ashassi-Sorkhabi, H., Shabani, B. & Aligholipour, B. (2006). The effect of some Schiff bases on the corrosion of aluminum in hydrochloric acid solution. Appl. Surf. Sci. 252, 4039-4047. DOI: 10/1016/j.apsusc.2005.02.148.
- 8. Talati, JD. & Modi, RM. (1979). p-substituted phenols as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium-copper alloy in sodium hydroxide. Corros. Sci. 19, 35-48. DOI: 10.1016/0010-938x(79)90006-4.[Crossref]
- 9. Muller, B. (2001). Corrosion inhibition of different metal pigments in aqueous alkaline media. Corros. Sci. 43, 1155-1164. DOI: 10.1016/S0010-938x(00)00134-7.[Crossref]
- 10. Zheludkevich, M.L. Yasakau, K.A. Poznyak, S.K. & Ferreria, M.G.S. (2005). Triazole and thiazole derivatives as corrosion inhibitors for AA2024 aluminium alloy. Corros. Sci. 47, 3368-3383. DOI: 10.1016/j.corsci.2005.05.040.[Crossref]
- 11. Obot, I.B. Umoren, S.A. & Obi-Egbedi, N.O. (2011). Corrosion inhibition and adsorption of aluminium by extract of Aningeria robusta in Hcl solution: Synergistic effect of iodide ions. J. Mater. Environ. Sci. 2 (1), 60-71.
- 12. Onen, A.I., Nwufo, B.T., Ebenso, E.E. & Hlophe, R.M. (2010). Titanium (iv) oxide as Corrosion Inhibitor for Aluminium and Mild Steel in Acidic Medium. Inter. J. Electrochem. Sci. 5, 1563-1573.
- 13. Khaled, K.F. & Amin, M.A. (2009). Electrochemical and molecular dynamics simulation studies on the corrosion inhibition of aluminum in molar hydrochloric acid using some imidazole derivatives. J. Appl. Electrochem. 39, 2553-2568. DOI: 10.1007/s10800-009-9951-x.[WoS][Crossref]
- 14. Quraishi, M.A., Rafi quee, M.Z.A., Khan, S. & Saxena, N. (2007). Corrosion inhibition of aluminium in acid solutions by some imidazoline derivatives. J. Appl. Electrochem. 37, 1153-1162. DOI: 10.1007/s10800-007-9379-0.[WoS][Crossref]
- 15. Musa, A.Y., Mohamad, A.B., Kadhum, A.A.H. & Tabal, Y.B.A. (2011). Inhibition of Aluminum Alloy Corrosion in 0.5 M Nitric Acid Solution by 4-4-Dimethyloxazolidine- -2-thione. Journal of Mater. Engin. And Perfor. 20 (3), 394-398. DOI: 10.1007/s11665-010-9694-1.
- 16. Obot, I.B., Obi-Egbedi, N.O. & Umoren, S.A. (2009). Antifungal drugs as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium in 0.1 M HCl. Corros. Sci. 51 (8), 1868-1875. DOI: 10.1016/j. corsci.2009.05.017.
- 17. El-Dahan, H.A., Soror, T.Y. & El-Sherif, R.M. (2005). Studies on the inhibition of aluminum dissolution by hexamine- halide blends: Part I. Weight loss, open circuit potential and polarization measurements. Mater. Chem. Phys. 89, 260-267.
- 18. Oguize, E.E., Okolue, B.N., Ogukwe, C.E. & Onuchukwu, A.I. (2004). Studies on the Inhibitive Action Of Methylene Blue Dye on Aluminium Corrosion in KOH Solution. J. Corros. Sci. Tech. 11, 88-91.
- 19. Sanni, O., Loto, C.A. & Popoola, A.P.I. (2013). Effect of Ferrous Gluconate Inhibition on the Electrochemical Behaviour of Mild Steel in 3.5% NaCl. Inter. J. Electrochem. Sci. 8, 5506-5514.
- 20. Umoren, S.A., Obot, I.B., Akpabio, L.E. & Etuk, S.E. (2008). Adsorption and corrosive inhibitive properties of Vigna unguiculata in alkaline and acidic media. Pigment & Resin Technology. 37, 98-105. DOI: 10.1108/03699420810860455.[Crossref][WoS]
- 21. Umoren, S.A., Obot, I.B. & Ebenso, E.E. (2008). Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium Using Exudate Gum from Pachylobus edulis in the Presence of Halide Ions in HCl. E-Journal Chem. 5, 355-364. DOI: 10.1155/2008/138407.[WoS][Crossref]
Publication order reference