Development of a Simulation Model for Controlling and Improving the Productivity of Batch Reactors
Languages of publication
This paper describes the development of a dynamic simulator model for a jacketed batch reactor equipped with a mono-fluid heating/cooling system. The Mono-fluid flows at constant flow-rate through the jacketed reactor. The heating and cooling are assured respectively by electrical resistance and two plate heat exchangers. A detailed description of the equations leading to the development of simulation model is presented. The model is based on writing the equations of the mass balance and the heat balance for the reactor and the thermal loop in unsteady state. To validate the simulation model, we first studied the thermal behavior of the reaction mixture during heating and cooling, using water as the reaction mixture. We then considered the consecutive chemical reaction of the synthesis of cyclopentanediol from cyclopentadiene by studying the yield of this reaction. The results show that heating the reaction mixture increases significantly the yield of this synthesis reaction.
1 - 03 - 2013
27 - 03 - 2013
- 1. Dirion, J.L., Cabassud, M., Casamatta, G. & Le Lann, M.V. (2002). Neural Networks for Process Control:Application to the Temperature Control of Batch ChemicalReactors. Vol. 2, (pp 444-450). Expert System, by Academic Press.
- 2. Baudoin, O., Baudet, P., Dechelotte, S. & Hameury, G. (2004). Using the software Batch Reactor for a safetystudy in the context of exothermic reactions (June 28). Prosim S.A: Press release.
- 3. Bouhenchir, H., Cabassud, M., Le Lann, M.V. & Casamatta G. (2001). A general simulation model and a heating/cooling strategy to improve controllability of batch reactors. Trans IchemE. 79, Part A, 641-646. DOI: 10.1205/026387601316971217.[Crossref]
- 4. Josep, A., Felliu, Iban Grau, Miquel A. Alos, Jose, J. & Macias-Hernandez (2003). Match Your ProcessConstraints Using Dynamic Simulation. December, (pp. 42-43). Information Technology C.E.P.
- 5. Uhlemann, J., Cabassud, M. & Le Lann M.V. (1994). Semi-Batch reactor optimization and control for the epoxidation of furfural. Chem. Eng. Sci. 49 (18), 3169-3191. DOI: 10.1016/0009-2509(94)E0088-8.[Crossref]
- 6. Georgiadis, M.C., Rotstein, G.E. & Macchietto, S. (1998). Modeling and simulation of Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers under Milk Fouling. AICHE J. 44 (4), 959-971. DOI: 10.1002/aic.690440422.[Crossref]
- 7. Bahaidarah, H.M.S., Anand, N.K. & Chen, H.C. (2005). Numerical Study of Heat and Momentum Transfer in Channels with Wavy Walls. NumericalHeat Transfer, Part A, 47 (5), 417-439. DOI: 10.1080/10407780590891218.[Crossref]
- 8. Bahaidarah, H.M.S., Ijaz, M. & Anand, N.K. (2006). Numerical Study of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer over a Series of In-line Non-circular Tubes confined in a Parallel Plate Channel. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B, 50, 97-119. DOI: 10.1080/10407790600599041.[Crossref]
- 9. Hindmarsh, A.C. (1980). LSODE and LSODI, Two new initial value ordinary differential equation solvers. ACM Signum Newsletter, 15 (4), 10-11. DOI > 10. 1145/1218052.1218054.[Crossref]
- 10. Gear, C.W. & Osterby, O. (1984). Solving ordinary differential equations with discontinuities. ACM Transactionon Mathematical Software, 10 (1), 23-44. DOI > 10. 1145/356068.356071.[Crossref]
- 11. Bouhenchir, H. (2000). Implementation of predictivecontrol for conducting heat from a batch reactor equippedwith a mono-fluid. PhD Thesis, ENSIGC Toulouse, France.
- 12. Bouhenchir, H., Cabassud, M., Le Lann, M.V. & Casamatta G. (2000). A heating-cooling management to improve controllability of batch reactor equipped with a mono-fluid heating-cooling system. European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering (ESCAPE-10), 7-10 May, 2000, Florence-Italy, Computer--Aided Chemical Engineering, 8, 601-606. DOI: 10.1016/ S1570-7946(00)80102-9.[Crossref]
- 13. Bouhenchir, H. (2005). Team fine chemical processes. Laboratory of Chemical Engineering at ENSIACET of Toulouse.
Publication order reference