Acrylic Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives Containing SiO2 Nanoparticles
Languages of publication
The use of acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesives (PSAs) is increasing in a variety of industrial fields. They have been applied in the manufacture of mounting tapes, self-adhesive labels, protective films, masking tapes, splicing tapes, carrier-free tapes, sign and marking films, and in diverse medical products, such as pads or self-adhesive bioelectrodes. In this study, the application of SiO2 nanoparticles in acrylic PSA was investigated. The properties of the newly synthesized and modified PSA were evaluated via the tack, peel adhesion, shear-strength and shrinkage. It has been found that the nanotechnologically-reinforced systems consisting of monodisperse non-agglomerated SiO2 nanoparticles and self-crosslinked acrylic PSAs showed a great enhancement in tack, peel adhesion, shear resistance and shrinkage, without showing the disadvantages known to result from the use of other inorganic additives. In this paper we evaluate the performance of SiO2 nanoparticles with a size of about 30 nm as inorganic filler into the synthesized solvent-borne acrylic PSA.
1 - 03 - 2013
27 - 03 - 2013
- West Pomeranian University of Technology, Szczecin, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Pułaskiego 10, 70-322 Szczecin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Pomeranian University of Technology, Szczecin, Faculty of Chemical Engineering, Pułaskiego 10, 70-322 Szczecin, Agnieszka.Kowalczyk@zut.edu.pl
- Cracow University of Technology, Institute of Organic Chemistry and Technology, Warszawska 24, 31-155 Krakow, email@example.com
- Non-Public Health Center, Bolesława Śmiałego 28, 70-348 Szczecin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1. Imerito, T. (2005). Nanotechnology building from the bottom and building the bottom line. JOM 57 (12), 18-23. DOI: 10.1007/s11837-005-0177-z.[Crossref]
- 2. Murad, D.S. (2002). It`s a small world after all. AdhesivesAge, October, 40-44.
- 3. Frisch, F. (2003). Nanotechnology gives a boost to adhesive technology. Adhäsion 4 (47), 16-19.
- 4. Krüger, G. (2006). Nanoparticles of SiO2, ZrO2 and BaSO4 in Acrylate Dispersions. Coating 3, 113-115.
- 5. Sprenger, S., Eger, C., Kinloch, A. & Ambrose, C. (2004) Nanoadhesives: toughness and hogh strength, Adhesion Adhesives& Sealants 3, 20-24.
- 6. Hertel, T. (2004). Kohlenstoff-Nanoröhren: Bausteine der Mikroelektronik von Morgen. Nachrichten aus der Chemie 52, 137-140.
- 7. Czech, Z., Kowalski, A. & Ortyl, J. (2011). Tack of pressure- sensitive adhesives (PSAs). Coating 1, 22-25.
- 8. Zosel, A. (1985) Adhesion and Tack of Polymers: Influence of Mechanical Properties and Surface Tensions. Colloid &Polymer Science 263 (7), 541-553. DOI: 10.1007/BF01421887.[Crossref]
- 9. Czech, Z. & Wesolowska, M. (2007). Development of solvent- free acrylic pressure-sensitive adhesives. European PolymerJournal 43, 3604-3612. DOI: 10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2007.05.003.[Crossref][WoS]
Publication order reference