Relationship between Tactical Behavior and Affective Decision-Making in U-17 Youth Soccer Players
Languages of publication
Purpose. The aim of this article was to analyze the relationship between tactical behavior and affective decision making of U-17 youth soccer players. Methods. The sample was comprised of 154 participants meeting the study inclusion criteria. Players played 4-min games on four-person teams (including goalkeeper) on a small-sided soccer field. The System of Tactical Assessment in Soccer (FUT-SAT) was used to determine the defensive tactical actions performed by players according to five different tactical principles. A total of 6140 defensive tactical actions were recorded. Their affective decision-making was measured by a computerized card task, the Iowa Gambling Task (IGT). Results. Significant negative correlation was found between players’ learning curve and the incidence of actions based on the principle of concentration. Less impulsive players presented a lower incidence of actions tied with the principle of concentration in comparison with more impulsive players. Conclusions. The findings suggest that, in the defensive phase, players who are less impulsive decision makers may benefit from more secure and stable defensive styles.
15 - 8 - 2014
28 - 11 - 2013
4 - 4 - 2014
- 1. Garganta J., Performance analysis in team games. Review on match analysis [in Portuguese]. Rev Port Cien Desp, 2001, 1 (1), 57–64.
- 2. Boulogne G., Game organization – tactics/game plan [in French]. Rev EPS, 1972, 117, 52–55.
- 3. Duda H., Visual helping instructing of games tactics according to the principles of forceful operations [in Polish]. Annales, 2005, LX, Suppl. XVI (86), 395–399.
- 4. Mahlo F., Tactical action in play [in French]. Vigot Freres, Paris 1969, 244.
- 5. Garganta J., Tactical modelling in soccer – a study on the attacking phase in top level teams [unpublished Ph.D. thesis]. Porto, Portugal: University of Porto; 1997.
- 6. Lago-Peñas C., The influence of match location, quality of opposition, and match status on possession strategies in professional association football. J Sports Sci, 2009, 27 (13), 1463–1469, doi: 10.1080/02640410903131681.[Crossref][WoS]
- 7. Taylor J.B., Mellalieu S.D., James N., Behavioural comparisons of positional demands in professional soccer. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2004, 4 (1), 81–97.
- 8. Taylor J.B., Mellalieu S.D., James N., Shearer D.A., The influence of match location, quality of opposition and match status on technical performance in professional association football. J Sports Sci, 2008, 26 (9), 885–895, doi: 10.1080/02640410701836887.[WoS][Crossref]
- 9. Dellal A., Wong D.P., Moalla W., Chamari K., Physical and technical activity of soccer players in the French First League – with special reference to their playing position. Int Sportmed J FIMS, 2010, 11 (2), 278–290.
- 10. Teoldo I., Garganta J., Greco P.J., Mesquita I., Seabra A., Influence of Relative Age Effects and Quality of Tactical Behaviour in the Performance of Youth Soccer Players. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2010, 10 (2), 82–97.
- 11. Dellal A., Owen A., Wong D.P., Krustrup P., van Exsel M., Mallo J., Technical and physical demands of small vs. large sided games in relation to playing position in elite soccer. Hum Mov Sci, 2012, 31 (4), 957–969, doi: 10.1016/ j.humov.2011.08.013.[WoS][Crossref]
- 12. Araújo D., Davids K., Hristovski R., The ecological dynamics of decision making in sport. Psychol Sport Exerc, 2006, 7 (6), 653–676, doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2006.07.002.[Crossref]
- 13. Williams A.M., Davids K., Burwitz L., Williams J., Cognitive knowledge and soccer performance. Percept Motor Skills, 1993, 76 (2), 579–593, doi: 10.2466/pms.19220.127.116.119.[Crossref]
- 14. Bar-Eli M., Plessner H., Raab M. Judgement, decision making and success in sport. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, 2011.
- 15. Roca A., Williams A.M., Ford P.R., Capturing and testing perceptual-cognitive expertise: A comparison of stationary and movement response methods. Behav Res Methods, 2014, 46 (1), 173–177, doi: 10.3758/s13428-013-0359-5.[Crossref]
- 16. Duda H., Cognitive support in teaching football techniques. Biomed Hum Kinetics, 2009, 1 (1), 26–30, doi: 10.2478/ v10101-009-0008-8.[Crossref]
- 1 7. Bechara A., The role of emotion in decision-making: Evidence from neurological patients with orbitofrontal damage. Brain Cogn, 2004, 55 (1), 30–40, doi: 10.1016/j. bandc.2003.04.001.[Crossref]
- 18. Williams A.M., Ford P.R., ‘Game intelligence’: anticipation and decision making. In: Williams A.M. (ed.), Science and soccer: developing elite performers, 3ed. Routledge, Oxon, 2013, 105–121.
- 19. Roca A., Ford P.R., McRobert A.P., Williams A.M., Perceptual-Cognitive Skills and Their Interaction as a Function of Task Constraints in Soccer. J Sport Exerc Psychol, 2013, 35 (2), 144–155.
- 20. Memmert D., Roth K., The effects of non-specific and specific concepts on tactical creativity in team ball sports. J Sport Sci, 2007, 25 (12), 1423–1432, doi: 10.1080/0264 0410601129755.[WoS][Crossref]
- 21. Kröger C., Roth K., Ball School: An ABC game for beginners [in German]. Hofmann, Schorndorf 1999.
- 22. Teoldo I., Garganta J., Greco P.J., Mesquita I., Maia J., System of tactical assessment in Soccer (FUT-SAT): Development and preliminary validation. Motri, 2011, 7 (1), 69–84, doi: 10.6063/motricidade.7(1).121.[Crossref]
- 23. Bechara A., Damasio H., Tranel D., Anderson S.W., Dissociation Of Working Memory from Decision Making within the Human Prefrontal Cortex. J Neurosci, 1998, 18 (1), 428–437, doi: 0270-6474/97/180428-10$05.00/0.
- 24. Malloy-Diniz L.F., Leite W.B., Moraes P.H.P., Correa H., Bechara A., Fuentes D., Brazilian Portuguese version of the Iowa Gambling Task: transcultural adaptation and discriminant validity. Rev Bras Psiquiatr, 2008, 30 (2), 14 4 –148.[WoS]
- 25. Moeller F.G., Barratt E.S., Dougherty D.M., Schmitz J.M., Swann A.C., Psychiatric Aspects of Impulsivity. Am J Psychiatry, 2001, 158 (11), 1783–1793, doi: 10.1176/appi. ajp.158.11.1783.[Crossref]
- 26. Robinson G., O’Donoghue P., A weighted kappa statistic for reliability testing in performance analysis of sport. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2007, 7 (1), 12–19.
- 2 7. Tabachnick B., Fidell L., Using Multivariate Statistics: International Edition. 6 ed. Pearson Education, London 2012.
- 28. Landis R., Koch G.G., The Measurement of Observer Agreement for Categorical Data. Biometrics, 1977, 33 (1), 159 –174.[Crossref]
- 29. Worthington E., Learning & Teaching Soccer Skills. Wilshire Book Company, North Hollywood 1974.
- 30. Bangsbo J., Peitersen B. Defensive Soccer Tactics: How to stop players and teams from scoring. Human Kinetics, Champaign 2001.
- 31. Teoldo I., Garganta J., Greco P.J., Mesquita I., Tactical Principles of Soccer Game: concepts and application in Portuguese. Motriz, 2009, 15 (3), 657–668.
- 32. Garganta J., Pinto J., Teaching soccer [in Portuguese]. In: Graça A., Oliveira J. (eds.), O ensino dos jogos despor-tivos. CEJD – FCDEF-UP, Porto 1994, 97–137.
- 33. Szwarc A., The Efficiency Model of Soccer Player’s Actions in Cooperation with Other Team Players at the FIFA World Cup. Hum Mov, 2008, 9 (1), 56–61, doi: 10.2478/ v10038-008-0002-y.[Crossref]
Publication order reference