The Anthropometric Characteristics of Futsal Players Compared with Professional Soccer Players
Languages of publication
Purpose. The aim of the study was to compare the morphological characteristics of experienced futsal players with professional soccer players. Methods. The research sample included 22 university futsal players and 22 professional soccer players. Parameters including body height and mass, skinfold thicknesses of the trunk and extremities, lower limb length, trunk width, humerus and femur bone breadths, and the circumferences of the chest, hips, thighs, and calves were used to calculate various somatic indices. Somatotyping was performed using the Heath–carter method. Differences in the characteristics between the futsal and soccer players were analyzed using Student’s t test. Intragroup analysis was also performed on futsal players depending on player position and compared with the arithmetic means and standard deviations of all variables of the entire sample. Results. compared with their soccer-playing peers, the futsal players were shorter, weighed less, had shorter lower limbs, narrower hips, and smaller hip circumference and bone breadth values. In contrast, higher levels of body fat and endomorphy were noted in this group. The proportion of mesomorphs and ectomorphs were similar in both groups. Futsal goalkeepers were differentiated by greater subcutaneous adiposity and body mass. Defenders had the slimmest body shape, with relatively narrower shoulders and hips, smaller bone breadths, and lower levels of adiposity. The body build of wingers was slightly larger. Pivoters were characterized by greater body height and larger values for the characteristics measuring the lateral trunk dimensions. Conclusions. The observed morphological differences between futsal and soccer players were mainly in body height and height-associated characteristics. This indicates that no specialized approach in futsal recruitment is currently used. This points to the need to develop a specialized approach in the player recruitment stage, as the tactical and technical constructs of futsal set the game apart from other indoor soccer games, finding that futsal players share a number of morphological similarities with handball players.
15 - 8 - 2014
16 - 4 - 2014
19 - 5 - 2014
- 1. Barbero-Alvarez J.C., D’ottavio S., Granda-Vera J., Castagna C., Aerobic fitness in futsal players of different competitive level. J Strength Cond Res, 2009, 23 (7), 2163– 2166, doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181b7f8ad.[WoS][Crossref]
- 2. Castagna C., D’Ottavio S., Granda-Vera J., Barbero-Alvarez J.C., Match demands of professional Futsal: A case study. J Sci Med Sport, 2009, 12 (4), 490–494, doi: 10.1016/j. jsams.2008.02.001.[WoS][Crossref]
- 3. Matos J.A.B., Aidar F.J., Mendes R.R., Lomeu L.M., Santos C.A., Pains R. et al., Acceleration capacity in futsal and soccer players. Fit Perf J, 2008, 7 (4), 224–228, doi: 10.3900/fpj.7.4.224.e.[Crossref]
- 4. Silva C.D., Bloomfield J., Marins J.C.B., A review of stature, body mass and maximal oxygen uptake profiles of U17, U20 and first division players in Brazilian soccer. J SportsSci Med, 2008, 7 (3), 309–319.
- 5. Dogramaci S.N., Watsford M.L., Murphy A.J., Time-motion analysis of international and national level futsal. J Strength Cond Res, 2011, 25 (3), 646–651, doi: 10.1519/ JSC.0b013e3181c6a02e.[Crossref][WoS]
- 6. Erce M., Grgantov Z., Rađa A., Milić M., Differences in pulmonary function among Croatian Premier League soccer and futsal players. Indian J Res, 2013, 2 (8), 236–238.
- 7. Gil S.M., Gil J., Ruiz F., Irazusta A., Irazusta J., Physiological and anthropometric characteristics of young soccer players according to their playing position: Relevance for the selection process. J Strength Cond Res, 2007, 21 (2), 438–445, doi: 10.1519/R-19995.1.[Crossref]
- 8. Burgess D.J., Naughton G., Norton K.I., Profile of movement demands of national football players in Australia. J Sci Med Sport, 2006, 9 (4), 334–341, doi: 10.1016/j. jsams.2006.01.005.[Crossref]
- 9. Malina R.M., Pena Reyes M.E., Eisenmann J.C., Horta L., Rodrigues J., Miller R., Height, mass and skeletal maturity of elite Portuguese soccer players aged 11–16 years. J Sports Sci, 2000, 18, 685–693, doi: 10.1080/02640410050120069.[Crossref]
- 10. Burdukiewicz A., Chmura J., Pietraszewska J., Andrzejewska J., Stachoń A., Nosal J., Characteristics of body tissue composition and functional traits in junior football players. Hum Mov, 2013, 14 (2), 96–101, doi: 10.2478/humo-2013-0010.[Crossref]
- 11. Kalapotharakos V.I., Strimpakos N., Vithoulka I., Karvounidis C., Diamantopoulos K., Kapreli E., Physiological characteristics of elite professional soccer teams of different ranking. J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2006, 46 (4), 515–519.
- 12. Rico-Sanz J., Body composition and nutritional assessments in soccer. Int J Sport Nutr, 1998, 8, 113–123.
- 13. Arnason A., Sigurdsson S.B., Gudmundsson A., Holme I., Engebretsen L., Bahr R., Physical fitness, injuries, and team performance in soccer. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2004, 36 (2), 278–285, doi: 10.1249/01.MSS.0000113478.92945.CA.[Crossref]
- 14. Reilly T., Bangsbo J., Franks A., Anthropometric and physiological predispositions for elite soccer. J Sports Sci, 2000, 18 (9), 669–683, doi: 10.1080/02640410050120050.[Crossref]
- 15. Levandoski G., Cardoso F.L., Cieslak F., Cardoso A.S., Somatotype profile, anthropometric variables, physical aptitude and motor behavior of juvenile athletes of female futsal time from Ponta Grossa (Parana – Brazil). Fit Perf J, 2007, 6 (3), 162–166, doi: 10.3900/fpj.6.3.162.e[Crossref]
- 16. Queiroga M.R., Ferreira S.A., Pereira G., Kokubun E., Somatotype and performance in female futsal players [in Portuguese]. Rev Bras Cineantropom Desempenho Hum, 2008, 10 (1), 56–61.
- 17. Pacheco T.R.C., Gomes A.C., Balvedi M.C.W., Busto R.M., Sanchez V.C., Junior A.A., Cardiorespiratory capacity and body mass index in a periodization of the adult female futsal team from Universidade Norte do Parana – Londrina. Fit Perf J, 2009, 8 (6), 441–445, doi:10.3900/fpj.8.6.441.e.[Crossref]
- 18. Castelli Correia de Campos L.F., de Athayde Costa e Silva A., Teixeira Fabricio dos Santos L.G., Trevisan Costa L., Montagner P.C., Borin J.P. et al., Effects of training in physical fitness and body composition of the Brazilian 5-a-side football team. Rev Andal Med Deporte, 2013, 6 (3), 91–95, doi: 10.1016/S1888-7546(13)70041-8.[Crossref]
- 19. Ribeiro C.Z.P., Akashi P.M.H., Sacco I.C.N., Pedrinelli A., Relationship between postural changes and injuries of the locomotor system in indoor soccer athletes. Rev Bras Med Esporte, 2003, 9 (2), 98–103, doi: 10.1590/S1517-86922003000200005.[Crossref]
- 20. Carter J.E.L., Heath B.H., Somatotyping: Development and Applications. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1990.
- 21. Rienzi E., Drust B., Reilly T., Carter J.E., Martin A., Investigation of anthropometric and work-rate profiles of elite South American international soccer players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 2000, 40, 162–169.
- 22. Jovanovic M., Sporis G., Milanovic Z., Differences in situational and morphological parameters between male soccer and futsal – a comparative study. Int J Perform Anal Sport, 2011, 11 (2), 227–238.
- 23. Gorostiaga E.M., Llodio I., Ibanez J., Granados C., Navarro I., Ruesta M. et. al., Differences in physical fitness among indoor and outdoor elite male soccer players. Eur J Appl Physiol, 2009, 106 (4), 483–491, doi: 10.1007/s00421-009-1040-7.[Crossref][WoS]
- 24. Barbieri F.A., Barbieri R.A., Queiroga M.R., Santana W.C., Kokubun E., Anthropometrical and physiological profile of futsal players of the under-20 and adults categories. [in Portuguese]. Motricidade, 2012, 8 (4), 62–70, doi: 10.6063/motricidade.8(4).1553.[Crossref]
- 25. Capranica L., Cama G., Fanton F., Tessitore A., Figura F., Force and power of preferred and non-preferred leg in young soccer players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness, 1992, 31, 358–363.
- 26. Barbero-Alvarez J.C., Soto V.M., Barbero-Alvarez V., Granda-Vera J., Match analysis and heart rate of futsal players during competition. J Sports Sci, 2008, 26, 63–73, doi: 10.1080/02640410701287289.[Crossref][WoS]
- 27. Benvenuti C., Minganti C., Condello G., Capranica L., Tessitore A., Agility assessment in female futsal and soccer players. Medicina (Kaunas), 2010, 46 (6), 415–420.
- 28. Srhoj V., Marinović M., Rogulj N., Position specific morphological characteristics of top-level male handball players. Coll Antropol, 2002, 26 (1), 219–227.
Publication order reference