Styles of coping with stress and locus of control in sporting situations in a group of young female football players
Languages of publication
Purpose. The objective of the present study to analyse the styles of coping with stress and the locus of control (LOC) in specific sporting situations of female football players and seeking relationships between the analysed variables. Methods. The study included 50 female football players aged 16-18 years. Two psychological instruments were administered: the Polish language Questionnaire for Examining Locus of Control in Sports Activity (PKSPwS) and the Polish version of the Coping Inventory for Stressful Situations (CISS). Results. The mean level of the investigated LOC dimensions as well as the styles of coping with stress showed that behaviour associated with avoidance and emotions predominated over task-oriented style. However, taskoriented style was positively related to the locus of control in specific situations that occur in sport. Conclusions. The results of the study suggest that social support and educational initiatives adapted to female athletes are required. These include mental training and the psycho-pedagogical intervention of coaches, where emphasis should be placed on enhancing internal locus of control as well as the development and improvement of effective stress-coping styles.
1 - 3 - 2014
12 - 4 - 2014
- 1. Endler N.S., Parker J.D.A., Assessment of multidimensional coping. Task, emotion and avoidance strategies. Psychol Assess, 1994, 6 (1), 50-60, doi: 10.1037/1040-3522.214.171.124.[Crossref]
- 2. Anshel M.H., Kaissidis A.N., Coping style and situational appraisals as predictors of coping strategies following stressful events in sport as a function of gender and skill level. Br J Psychol, 1997, 88, 263-276, doi: 10.1111/j.2044-8295.1997.tb02634.x.[Crossref]
- 3. Poczwardowski A., Conroy D.E., Coping responses to failure and success among elite athletes and performing artists. J Appl Sport Psychol, 2002, 14, 313-329, doi: 10.1080/10413200290103581.[Crossref]
- 4. Strelau J., Jaworowska A., Wrześniewski K., Szczepaniak P., CISS - coping inventory for stressful situations. Handbook [in Polish]. PTP, Warszawa 2005.
- 5. Anshel M.H., Kang M., Miesner M., The approachavoidance framework for identifying athletes’ coping style as a function of gender and race. Scand J Psychol, 2010, 51, 341-349, doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9450.2009.00796.x.[WoS][Crossref]
- 6. Nicholls A.R., Levy A.R., Grice A., Polman R.C.J., Stress appraisals, coping, and coping effectiveness among international cross-country runners during training and competition. Eur J Sport Sci, 2009, 9 (5), 285-293, doi: 10.1080/17461390902836049.[Crossref][WoS]
- 7. Roddenberry A., Renk K., Locus of control and self-efficacy: potential mediators of stress, illness, and utilization of health services in college students. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev, 2010, 41, 353-370, doi: 10.1007/s10578-010-0173-6.[WoS][Crossref]
- 8. Khan A.A, Saleem M., Shahid R., Buffering role of locus of control on stress among the college/university teachers of Bahawalpur. Pak J Commer Soc Sci, 2012, 6 (1), 158-167.
- 9. Lazarus R.S., Folkman S., Transactional theory and research on emotions and coping. Eur J Pers, 1987, 1 (3), 141-169, doi: 10.1002/per.2410010304.[Crossref]
- 10. Rotter J.B., Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement. Psychol Monogr, 1966, 80 (1), 1-28, doi: 10.1037/h0092976.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 11. Lawrence E., Winschel J., Locus of control implications for special educations. Exceptional Children, 1975, 41, 483-490.
- 12. Chung Y.Y., Ding C.G., Development of the sales locus of control scale. J Occup Organ Psychol, 2002, 75, 233-245, doi: 10.1348/09631790260098514.[Crossref]
- 13. Rutkowska K., PKSPwS - questionnaire for examining LOC in sports activity [in Polish]. Rev Psychol, 2011, 54 (3), 289-307.
- 14. Guillet E., Sarrazin P., Fontayne P., Brustad R.J., Understanding female sport attrition in a stereotypical male sport within the framework of eccles’s expectancy - value model. Psychol Women, 2006, 30, 358-368, doi: 10.1111/j.1471-6402.2006.00311.x.[Crossref]
- 15. Hjelm J., The bad female football player: woman’s football in Sweden. Soccer and Society, 2011, 12 (2), 143-158, doi: 10.1080/14660970.2011.548352.[Crossref]
- 16. Jeanes R., I’m into high heels and make up but I still love football: exploring gender identity and football participation with preadolescent girls. Soccer and Society, 2011,123,402-420, doi: 10.1080/14660970.2011.568107.[Crossref]
- 17. Stirling L., Schulz J., Women’s Football: still in the hand of men. Sport Management Int J, 2011, 7 (2), 53-78, doi: 10.4127/ch.2011.0060.[Crossref]
- 18. Crocker P., Kowalski K.C., Graham T.R., Measurement of coping strategies in sport. In: Duda J.L. (ed.), Advances in sport and exercise psychology measurement. Fitness Information Technology, Morgantown 1998, 149-164.
- 19. Rudolph K.D., Gender differences in emotional responses to interpersonal stress during adolescence. J Adolesc Health, 2002, 30 (Suppl.), 3-13, doi: 10.1016/S1054-139X(01)00383-4.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 20. Steffen K., Pensgaard A.M., Bahr R., Self-reported psychological characteristics as risk factors for injuries in female youth football. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2009, 19, 442-451, doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2008.00797.x.[WoS][PubMed][Crossref]
- 21. Ivarsson A., Johnson U., Podlog L., Psychological Predictors of Injury Occurrence: A Prospective Investigation of Professional Swedish Soccer Players. J Sport Rehabil, 2013, 22 (1), 19-26.[PubMed]
- 22. Roth S., Cohen L.J., Approach, avoidance, and coping with stress. Am Psychol, 1986, 41 (7), 813-819.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 23. Anshel M.H., Anderson D., Coping with acute stress in sport: Linking athletes’ coping style, coping strategies, affect, and motor performance. Anxiety Stress Coping, 2002, 15 (2), 193-209, doi: 10.1080/10615800290028486.[Crossref]
- 24. Crocker P., Graham T.R., Coping by competitive athletes with performance stress: Gender differences and relationships with affect. Sport Psychol, 1995, 9, 325-338.
- 25. Krasowicz G., Kurzyp-Wojnarska A., KBPK - questionnaire for examining LOC. Handbook [in Polish]. PTP, LTP, UW Warsaw 1990.
- 26. Rutkowska K., Klimczak J., The locus of control and the sense of personal competence in young athletes practicing martial arts. Pol J Sport Tourism, 2012, 19 (4), 271-280, doi: 10.2478/v10197-012-0026-x.[Crossref]
- 27. Zeidner M., Saklofske D., Adaptive and maladaptive coping. In: Zeidner M., Endler N.S. (eds.), Handbook of coping: Theory, research, applications. John Wiley and Sons, New York 1996, 505-531.
Publication order reference